Wanted: good on-ear headphones
Jan 13, 2009 at 8:45 AM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyb213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for on ears I would recommend esw9's off of audio technica

Srsly? You did read he wanted to go BMX'ing with it, right?

Jan 13, 2009 at 11:08 AM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonthouse /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not to insult, but did you even read what he typed?

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJJKKK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
work with milling machines and lathes, lots of noise

Eeek, yeah I did; after reading open headphones were top of his list I must have overlooked the above and thought about the comfy HD650.

If no overears then I think the PX100 sound really good and the grip isn't that bad, plus they're dirt cheap!

Jan 13, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Go HD25-1. You must. You will enjoy it, no doubt!

They're easily driven by iPods and such, they sound great with the stock cable and the steel cable sure as hell won't break due to heavy (ab)use.

Those other headphones mentioned might give you good SQ for a while, but the tiny OFC cables that come with it seriously won't survive BMX'ing.

This guy knows what's up.
I'm really starting to warm up for HD-25. Stock, singe side steel cable is a BIG plus.

I found these:
HD-25 LE, HD-25 II, HD-25-13 II, and HD-25 C II

These are all with 2 handband, C-model has a spiral cable and HD-25-13 II has a longer cable (200cm), anything else?

HD-25 Limited Edition, something special in it? They're a bit cheaper than HD-25 II; member1982 said they sound a bit different.

Samjones, and jonspanki: Yer sorry if I confused you both, by work I just ment breaks really, cannot focus on music when I'm doing metal-work. Dangerous.

While riding a bike, I need to hear traffic (You're correct jonspanki) and pedestrians. I ride mostly brakeless so this is very important factor.

HD-25's are closed back but how much do they reduce noise? As a on-ear phones I'd assume they wont isolate as good as over-ears right so these are a safe purchase?

Thanks for replies

Jan 13, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #21 of 27
Hell no, the HD25-1 isolate VERRRRY well, so you won't hear pedestrians, only if they scream quite hard at you.

But if you are going for the HD25, choose the HD25-II.
They are 70 Ohm, they come with pleather and velour earpads and a straight, steel cable.

All others sound less good or have crazy high Ohm or have a DJ cable/studio cable, so they'll be difficult to drive/carry around

The HD25-II really is the best of the batch.

Jan 13, 2009 at 6:16 PM Post #24 of 27
no folding on the HD25s one cup is rotatble by 180degrees-

nice to find another bmxer
smily_headphones1.gif

I had to sell my bike for audio reasons but i miss it!
riding brakeless and wearing HD25s might not be a good idea,you really cant here much at all of outside noices-

looked at Grado? just tried one for like 5min but it sounded NICE
smily_headphones1.gif

it was the sr80 model,and to my understanding all Grados are open.
some say they are uncomfortable,but to me they felt Ok.

I love my borrowed HD25s but if I move faster then walking I push one earcup of my ear to be safe(er).

good luck on choosing.

Jan 13, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

Hell no, the HD25-1 isolate VERRRRY well, so you won't hear pedestrians, only if they scream quite hard at you.

But if you are going for the HD25, choose the HD25-II.
They are 70 Ohm, they come with pleather and velour earpads and a straight, steel cable.

All others sound less good or have crazy high Ohm or have a DJ cable/studio cable, so they'll be difficult to drive/carry around

The HD25-II really is the best of the batch.

Thanks man. You managed to convince me real well as 5 minutes ago I did order my HD25 II's and they come w/ velour pads. Sennheiser's did surely look the strongest ones for holding up all the possible abuse they might see.
I think i'll be fine with them though I'm a bit amazed how they could be THAT isolative BUT I know you all know better. I just need to watch my back more often from now on when I'm riding on public.
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioTroll /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nice to find another bmxer
smily_headphones1.gif

Hi!
biker1.gif

I did look over Grados (I've looked a lot of models since I made this thread thanks to you all
grr.gif
[haha only j/k!]) but they reminds me about PortaPro's just with a stronger, more comfy looking headband. Even those thin cables reminds about the Koss. Snapped from inside near the ends 1-2 times/month. They didn't hold up the constant movement they had I think.
It's sad I cannot test-wear any headphones before buying. HD25's did look the most safe bet I could think of so that's why I did pick those.

Cheers.

Jan 13, 2009 at 9:24 PM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by JJJKKK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
..They didn't hold up the constant movement they had I think..

That won't happen again, I asure you
biggrin.gif

Enjoy 'em, love 'em, abuse 'em. Do that just right, and the HD25-1 will love you back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back