Wanted: Full size equivalent of Etys
Apr 3, 2005 at 2:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

maxxfell

New Head-Fier
All right Etys are not to everyone's taste. For example, in my experience they have the lowest WAF yet achieved by audio equipment.

But assuming someone likes the Ety sound signature--all that speed and detail--what full size phones are there that deliver something like it? May be even a phone that would not isolate from all auditory spousal communication.

I preferred the DT880's to the Senn 600's because to me the Senns sounded so veiled in comparison to the Etys. But still when I switch from Etys to Beyers, it's like taking several steps away from the music. Takes me a while to adjust and really appreciate the Beyers own great strengths.

Apr 3, 2005 at 2:38 PM Post #2 of 12
Try the sony SA5000 I heard them yesterday at a meet and they were quite detailed.

Apr 3, 2005 at 3:16 PM Post #3 of 12
DT-880.

Not as fast, but detailed as hell.

better imaging, depth, width ( well, it has to
biggrin.gif
)

ER-4s have better seperation.

Same tight, deep bass. I really think they sound a like........

Besides the DT-880s, i cant think of anything else....

K1000s?

Apr 3, 2005 at 3:28 PM Post #4 of 12
The SA5000 might in fact be a good choice. I'm an Ety fan myself, but they don't get much use anymore because I don't need and often can't have the isolation. The SA5000 has really deep bass, but like the Etys lacks the visceral implact of say, the 650s or RS-1s. However, it still has a touch more of than the Etys. The treble is extended like the Etys, but the SA5000's midrange is a bit more analytical I'd say. Overall, they're pretty close. But maybe wait to get a few others' opinions of the Sonys since they're so new.

Apr 3, 2005 at 4:36 PM Post #5 of 12
Stax SR-404's

Apr 3, 2005 at 8:34 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by spike33
501 sounds very close to ety's

Yes, I was just about to say the same thing. I don't know whether the 501's bass will be as impressive as the ety's as I've heard they're a little shy, but supposedly they have an amazing amount of detail and seperation.

Apr 3, 2005 at 8:46 PM Post #11 of 12
Aye, the SR-404 is definitely it. I bought the Ety's after I got the 404's, and I expected the SR-404 to be closer in sound to the SR-001, and the Ety's to be something else entirely, not really having remembered their sound from auditions long ago. The Ety's are much closer to the SR-404 than they are to the SR-001, and they are closer to the 404 than the 001 is as well. The 001 is definitely warm, with emphasized mids, while the 404 and the ER-4 are very neutral though slightly lean in the midbass.

The 404 has a more airy and delicate treble, and it doesn't have a lower treble peak like the ety's, so details in that region aren't quite as visible, though they're there. The 404, however, is more detailed in the mids and bass, and has a similar, highly resolved and textured quality to it's bass, though overall there's more of it that on the Ety's. Of course, in terms of soundstage, there's no comparison, and imaging/instrument separation is pretty similar on both (which is to say, excellent). The SR-404 takes the Ety sound and refines it.

P.S. Drunk. Can't spell. Sorry
confused.gif

Apr 4, 2005 at 1:35 PM Post #12 of 12
All good stuff. Have to think whether I want to replace the DT880s or supplement them, since there's a good range of price variation in those suggestions!

Thanks all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back