Wanted: Accurate, All-day Comfortable, Open Air, Over Ear
Jul 10, 2013 at 1:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

coolaj86

New Head-Fier
I want something open air and super comfortable so that I can listen music accurately while I work, for several hours at a time - maybe even all day - and also be able to pause that to skype over google hangouts and then be able to hear myself talking (with my closed headphones I always take 1 ear off - uncomfortable and looks goofy), but not too loud on the outside.

Semi-open might be an option - but I'd probably prefer to switch to closed headphones in a noisy environment or when I need more conversation privacy.

Bonus for Detachable Cable and also for looking good (more metal / wood / anything-but-plastic).

I listen to all types of music from classical to dubstep and pop. I want something that is accurate for a variety of genres of music.

My first and only pair of real cans has been the UltraSone HFI-580s. I love the soundstage and the detail I was able to discover in songs that I had been listening to... all my life, yet never knowing how great they could sound.

The best sounding headphones that I've ever tried were Grado 1000-something (either GSi or GS, not sure). I've tried probably a dozen or more high-end headphones side-by-side with snippets from 5 songs of different genres (classical, dubstep, punk, singer/songwriter, and pop) and although some headphones sounded better for one or the other, the Grados sounded great for each song.

I don't don't like headphones that are too bass heavy. I much prefer true-to-life accuracy.

I'm looking for something in the $200 - $450 range, but if I found a pair that were $900 and absolutely everything I had ever dreamed of, I might be able to close my eyes (or block it out with my thumb on the screen) and click the buy button.

Jul 10, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #2 of 6
Grados are quite coloured, so while they don't provide 'true to recording' accuracy, they are tuned to produce a 'true to timbre' accuracy, which makes music (especially acoustic recordings) more 'realistic' - kind of like a hyper-realism.

If you want something that's true to all genres, go for the Beyerdynamic DT880 (600 ohm). Then spend a bit more on a decent dac and amp. 

Jul 10, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #3 of 6
If you like Grado I believe the SR325 is in your price range and the RS1i or RS2i are just slightly out of your price range. Personally, I love the sound of the RS1i. You should look into the Sennheiser HD598, especially if you like soundstage. They are open but leak less sound than the Grados and have a soundstage that rivals the HD800 IMO. Although they are plastic they are made to look fancy. Additionally, they are the most comfortable pair of HPs I have ever worn (next to the HD800). You could wear them all day and not care. The Grados are notoriously uncomfortable, especially since the majority of them come with stock on-ear pads (comfort is more subjective though).

For an awesome soundstage, neutral sound, and best comfort I'd check out the HD598s. They are new on Amazon for $250.

Jul 10, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #4 of 6
You could look into the Sony MDR-MA900, one of if not the most comfortable headphones I have worn and great sound, spacious soundstage, good detail, slightly on the warm side of neutral and non-fatiguing sound for endless hours of listening. Is made out of both metal and plastic, very lightweight, better build quality than it appears. It doesn't have a detachable cable though. Easy to drive. Can be had for $175 on Amazon. There is also the AKG Q701, one of the most neutral and natural sounding headphones I have heard, massive soundstage and very detailed, it requires a good amp and source to sound it's best though. Has a detachable cable, it can be had for $240 on amazon. There is also the AKG K702 Annies, which can be had for around $365, darker sounding than the Q701 but is more comfortable, it also has a detachable cable. The DT 880 600 ohm is another good option, great build quality, it is on the bright side of neutral and honestly a tad boring, needs an amp and good source, does not have a detachable cable. Then there is the Sennheiser HD 600, another neutral headphone, on the warmer side of neutral, personally found them a bit unengaging, has a detachable cable, needs an amp and good source, I found some problems with it's comfort just like the HD 5xx series, they are a bit too clampy.

Jul 13, 2013 at 4:00 AM Post #5 of 6
Thanks for all the advice!

I bought the Beyerdynamic DT880 600 Ohm and a MicroMega MyZIC amp from a local audio shop.
They're extremely comfortable. Sometimes I forget that they're here.

It's definitely a different experience with the open back.
I'd say these don't sound nearly as good as my HFI-580s for club music (something about that boxy reverb just makes it), but so much better and so much more detail for classical, movies, and game remixes (i.e. OverClocked Remix).
I'm currently experiencing Pump up the Jam mixed by Technotronic like never before... but more complex punk and pop dance with lots of indistinguishable sounds going on at once (Clarity by Zedd or I don't Wanna Be in Love by Good Charlotte) seem to lose their punch. Maybe I'll start to appreciate it differently though (I am hearing things I've never heard before).

I'm still kinda getting used to the difference in the way they present the music.

I also bought the Q701 which I should get in about a week.

I'm considering the AD900x. I tested the AD500x and liked the sound and the comfort and the reviews comparing the 500x/700x/900x make it sound like you get a lot more bang for buck for not much more buck at all.

The Sennheiser HD598 looks a little goofy and, more importantly, I couldn't find it in-store (of the 3 places I tried).
The Grados I tried (aside from the GS1000i) were just too uncomfortable.

Just out of sheer comfort I think I'll be keeping the DT880s.
Once I've had a chance to wear these a few weeks and the AKGs as well, I'll see which I keep for the long haul.

As for the amp... Despite the cheap plastic that makes it looks like something you might find at Walmart, the other desktop amps in the store in same price range just weren't as capable or didn't sound as good (to me). With this I can push the volume far enough that it feels uncomfortable without distortion. I rarely listen to the volume at an uncomfortable level - just now and then to get pumped for a few minutes.

Jul 13, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
Thanks for all the advice!

I bought the Beyerdynamic DT880 600 Ohm and a MicroMega MyZIC amp from a local audio shop.
They're extremely comfortable. Sometimes I forget that they're here.

It's definitely a different experience with the open back.
I'd say these don't sound nearly as good as my HFI-580s for club music (something about that boxy reverb just makes it), but so much better and so much more detail for classical, movies, and game remixes (i.e. OverClocked Remix).
I'm currently experiencing Pump up the Jam mixed by Technotronic like never before... but more complex punk and pop dance with lots of indistinguishable sounds going on at once (Clarity by Zedd or I don't Wanna Be in Love by Good Charlotte) seem to lose their punch. Maybe I'll start to appreciate it differently though (I am hearing things I've never heard before).

I'm still kinda getting used to the difference in the way they present the music.

I also bought the Q701 which I should get in about a week.

I'm considering the AD900x. I tested the AD500x and liked the sound and the comfort and the reviews comparing the 500x/700x/900x make it sound like you get a lot more bang for buck for not much more buck at all.

The Sennheiser HD598 looks a little goofy and, more importantly, I couldn't find it in-store (of the 3 places I tried).
The Grados I tried (aside from the GS1000i) were just too uncomfortable.

Just out of sheer comfort I think I'll be keeping the DT880s.
Once I've had a chance to wear these a few weeks and the AKGs as well, I'll see which I keep for the long haul.

As for the amp... Despite the cheap plastic that makes it looks like something you might find at Walmart, the other desktop amps in the store in same price range just weren't as capable or didn't sound as good (to me). With this I can push the volume far enough that it feels uncomfortable without distortion. I rarely listen to the volume at an uncomfortable level - just now and then to get pumped for a few minutes.

Open headphones are completely different animals compared to closed headphones.I am interested in hearing your impression of the DT 880 vs Q701. I personally preferred the Q701 out of the two, but I have a bias towards the AKG house sound. I wish you luck on your audio journey and you find exactly what you are looking for. It can be long, expensive, and at times frustrating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back