Wanted: a Beyerdynamic DT-770 owner with measuring tape
Jul 6, 2015 at 4:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Noldir

100+ Head-Fier
Hi there,

Perhaps a weird question: but I'm thinking to tweak my Takstar hi-2050 with a DT-770 headband.The takstar being a bit of a copy after all, but the fit is a bit...smallish (big head, etc).

So: could someone measure for me (preferably in cm) what size the headband is from end to end? That way I'll know if it'll give me the last few cm's I need to make it fit properly.

Cheers,

Rob

Jul 7, 2015 at 4:23 AM Post #2 of 7
I measured across (or along) the headband from screw holes to screw holes with a bit of wire and then measured the wire - 22.6cm - this is along the edge of the headband padding which matches the metal bit inside, rather than right across the top in which case the measurement would be a bit longer, if you see what I mean.

Jul 7, 2015 at 5:15 PM Post #3 of 7
I measured across (or along) the headband from screw holes to screw holes with a bit of wire and then measured the wire - 22.6cm - this is along the edge of the headband padding which matches the metal bit inside, rather than right across the top in which case the measurement would be a bit longer, if you see what I mean.

Yup! I measured the Takstars, exactly the same length. I do wonder why they're such a small fit then...

Could I bother you to measure the distance from the yoke pivot point to the headband entry point? Both along the metal and in a straight line from point to point?

Jul 8, 2015 at 4:12 AM Post #4 of 7
I extended the yoke as far as it would go and measured up to the screw securing the yoke to the earcup - 9.7cm. This is in a straight line parallel to the headband. Measuring along the edge of the yoke - 11.6cm.

Jul 8, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #5 of 7
Yup! I measured the Takstars, exactly the same length. I do wonder why they're such a small fit then...

It's not always the length, there's the shape. I bent the headband and gimbals on my Superlux HD330 to relax the grip.

Stock HD330 - red arrows indicate where to bend, red line indicate desired shape

My HD330

Jul 8, 2015 at 10:50 AM Post #6 of 7

It's not always the length, there's the shape. I bent the headband and gimbals on my Superlux HD330 to relax the grip.

Stock HD330 - red arrows indicate where to bend, red line indicate desired shape

My HD330

Interesting, your yoke / gymbal is straight going into the headphone. Doesn't that cause discomfort? Mine are almost bent 45 degrees!

Jul 8, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #7 of 7

Interesting, your yoke / gymbal is straight going into the headphone. Doesn't that cause discomfort? Mine are almost bent 45 degrees!

Not completely straight because if so the gimbals will exert pressure on the cables coming out the top (connecting the right channel drivers to the cable in the left cup) when worn. If the headband is bent but not the gimbals, there's still some uneven pressure, unconfortable around the earlobes but mostly on top The way they fit on my head now there's barely any pressure, just enough to not fall off my head even with some head-bobbing while listening, while the rear of the earpads actually sit along my earlobes (the interior size of the pads are too small to fit around my ears, unlike say an AKG K701). Of course, YMMV, given personal preferences and individual headsize. The bending is easy enough to reverse on the Superlux, and it actually relaxes back to the original shape over time so you'd have to readjust at some point. I suppose the Takstar shouldn't be too different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back