Want to use headphones on my PS3, but with volume control. What are my options?
Aug 15, 2014 at 9:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

DaWolf1205

New Head-Fier
I use an LG HDTV which has a 3.5mm jack, but the audio quality through it is horrible. It constantly makes cracking sounds, so I'd like to avoid using it if possible.

So I currently have my PS3 hooked up to the TV with HDMI, and I set the audio to output through RCA cables. I use a 2xRCA Female to 3.5mm Female adapter to plug in my Sennheiser HD598. This setup works, but the audio is just a little too loud and it hurts my ears. I have been searching for a way to get some kind of volume control, but I'm wondering if anyone here has any ideas.

I also have the PS3 set up next to my computer, which uses an Asus Xonar DSX sound card. I have heard of people connecting consoles to their sound cards, but I'm not sure if I can use mine that way.

Aug 15, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #2 of 6
  I use an LG HDTV which has a 3.5mm jack, but the audio quality through it is horrible. It constantly makes cracking sounds, so I'd like to avoid using it if possible.

So I currently have my PS3 hooked up to the TV with HDMI, and I set the audio to output through RCA cables. I use a 2xRCA Female to 3.5mm Female adapter to plug in my Sennheiser HD598. This setup works, but the audio is just a little too loud and it hurts my ears. I have been searching for a way to get some kind of volume control, but I'm wondering if anyone here has any ideas.

I also have the PS3 set up next to my computer, which uses an Asus Xonar DSX sound card. I have heard of people connecting consoles to their sound cards, but I'm not sure if I can use mine that way.

There are inexpensive headphone splitters with their own volume controls that can be used in conjunction with the RCA adapter.

Aug 16, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for the tip, I'm currently looking for a good one now. There are plenty to choose from on Amazon/Newegg, but do you know of any that wont cause much quality loss? I'm not expecting the best quality, but I'm willing to pay more to avoid quality loss issues.

Aug 16, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #4 of 6
  Thanks for the tip, I'm currently looking for a good one now. There are plenty to choose from on Amazon/Newegg, but do you know of any that wont cause much quality loss? I'm not expecting the best quality, but I'm willing to pay more to avoid quality loss issues.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to compare for you. None of them should interfere too much.

Is this for playing PS3 games, watching TV, or what?

Aug 16, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #6 of 6
  I'm just going to use it for PS3 games.
Anyway, thanks for the help, I guess I'll just compare online reviews and pick one.

I have a PS3, HDTV, and HDMI cable as well, and was quite impressed by the video quality. My HDTV's speakers are horrible, though, so maybe I should try out playing PS3 games with headphones too. In the event I find something good, I'll let you know.

Judging from a bit of research, it looks like there are dozens of ways of going about it, but all require additional accessories unless you are lucky enough to have a TV with a headphone jack.

I had a crazy idea to try streaming the PS3 audio to an iPod via USB, but I don't think that's possible...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back