Want to use e500's with noise cancelling, Is there such thing as adapter?
Sep 21, 2007 at 9:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

coolpepper43

New Head-Fier
I want to use my Shure e500's with noise cancelling technology. Is there such a thing as a noise cancelling adapter? I want something that I can just plug the headphone port in and it will cancel out the noise. Is there something like what I am talking about?
Thanks

Sep 22, 2007 at 1:19 AM Post #2 of 9
I think the point of IEMs are that they go inside your ears and thus giving you sound isolation from the outside, this in turn equals to or surpasses the job of other 'noise canceling' phones.

Besides, most noise-canceling do-hickies only clutter the sound quality of your headphones. I think its best to find the right fit for your IEMs AND the right insertion technique for the IEM. Man, the right fit and position of e500 can make it seem new and improved--big contrast.

Sep 22, 2007 at 1:54 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by greydragon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the point of IEMs are that they go inside your ears and thus giving you sound isolation from the outside, this in turn equals to or surpasses the job of other 'noise canceling' phones.

Besides, most noise-canceling do-hickies only clutter the sound quality of your headphones. I think its best to find the right fit for your IEMs AND the right insertion technique for the IEM. Man, the right fit and position of e500 can make it seem new and improved--big contrast.

x2

Amen bro!

Sep 22, 2007 at 2:52 AM Post #4 of 9
I am not using it for the quality of music, not even for music at all. I need something to block as much sound as possible for studying. I cannot concentrate with music going on and having a great seal is not enough. So noise cancelling along with a great seal should work the best. I am looking for something I could use portable so I can study in public places.

Sep 22, 2007 at 3:40 AM Post #5 of 9
Oh... so you just want to completely block out noise while studying at public places? Hard to say... I had the same problem of wanting complete silence while studying, but I came to find that that is nearly impossible. So I just learned to ignore or cope with it. With practice and focused studying, distractions wont be a problem.

Sep 22, 2007 at 4:11 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by greydragon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh... so you just want to completely block out noise while studying at public places? Hard to say... I had the same problem of wanting complete silence while studying, but I came to find that that is nearly impossible. So I just learned to ignore or cope with it. With practice and focused studying, distractions wont be a problem.

You should look into getting HEAROS brand earplugs. They're highly regarded, and this model has a NRR of 33, which is (I believe) higher than IEMs.

Sep 22, 2007 at 5:30 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by coolpepper43 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not using it for the quality of music, not even for music at all. I need something to block as much sound as possible for studying. I cannot concentrate with music going on and having a great seal is not enough. So noise cancelling along with a great seal should work the best. I am looking for something I could use portable so I can study in public places.

The previous generation Sony line has active noise canceling in their DAPs. I think you could pick one up for a $100, and just play it without music.

Btw this is what I did when I had my E500s, in loud places: E500s or any inner-ear/canalphones underneathe Bose QC2. It's extra 10-15 dB attenuation, and the white noise from noise canceling is completely eliminated passively by Shures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back