Want to upgrade from my Koss Porta Pros
Aug 18, 2009 at 2:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ChrisDeeson

Head-Fier
Hello Guys and Gals!

I am now a Koss Porta Pro owner for about 3-4 months and I like them alot!
I already had 2 pairs. I accidentally damaged the driver of the first pair while I was removing the grill (Kramer mod).
My second and current pair is also kramer modded and I like it more than the stock unmodded pair.

Well now I feel like I want to upgrade from the Koss Porta Pro, wich I already like, to a more lets call it "professional" pair of headphones.

What I was looking for in a new Headphone by my experience with the Koss:
-Good powerful punchy bass, not muddy or muffled
- treble! - I really like the highs and transparancy of the koss
- Good mids
- It doesnt have to be closed headphone.
- Overall soundquallity, a good allrounder

Music I am mostly listening to:
Pop-Rock, Pop, Rock, HipHop (Mostly the neptunes production, no mainstream charts) and when it comes to my mood I can listen to classic as well or other genres.. So I generally can listen to all kind of music.

Headphones I already looked for and liked by reviews:
-Grado SR80i
-Alessandro MS1i
-Sennheiser HD238/HD228

Other headphone suggestions are gladly welcome.

Ok, sorry for noobness and I hope you can help me out
Chris
beerchug.gif

Aug 18, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #3 of 11
Looking at your wish list, you would probably love the KSC-35. All the goodness of the 'pro with a little more open sound, slight detail improvement and tighter bass.

If you're looking for a more noticeable step up, the SR60 and MS-1 would be the next level....but they're gonna sound thin at first because the Portapro's are very full and bass heavy in comparison. However, you'll start hearing some detail and better instrument seperation that the Portapro's can't match.

Aug 18, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #4 of 11
Third on the MS-1(i)'s. Amazing 'phones that are a great early upgrade. It's also telling how many people keep them around (and also mod' a la "MS-1000") even after they've started acquiring far more expensive accoutrements.

Sep 2, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #9 of 11
I have the HD 238's and the MS1's (not i). I would have to say that I prefer the MS1's over the HD238's. The Senns sound good but the build quality (cable in particular) seems pretty delicate. The MS1's have a much better build quality and IMO sound better also. You might also want to check out Denon AH-D1001's.

Sep 2, 2009 at 7:50 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looking at your wish list, you would probably love the KSC-35. All the goodness of the 'pro with a little more open sound, slight detail improvement and tighter bass.

The KSC-35 is the same headphone as the Porta-Pro with a different headband. Any difference in sound is caused by the headband. The Porta-Pro is bassier because it presses the drivers against the ear. Also, the headband and clips are interchangeable.

I like the KSC-35 better than the Porta Pro because it sounds more balanced. For portable use without an amp I haven't found anything better.

Sep 2, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #11 of 11
i may be able to shed some insight here. i started with ksc-75 similar to portas but a clip on. i then purchased a MS1. now i have Denon AH-D1001. i even had a ATH a700 in-between. i owned and experienced all these phones for a whopping investment of $80. combined they are worth over $300 but if you watch the FS forum and are willing to sell your pair to try something else you too can try out and find what you like.

why not try them all. then youll know. I found that the Denon were nice for being portable and comfy. i preferred the MS1 for music and the A700s for watching movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back