Want to upgrade, but can't choose what?!
Aug 10, 2011 at 8:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Destroysall

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello all!

I've been looking to upgrade from my old and current standard audio configuration, and while I have a few upgrade possilibities in mind, I'm still having trouble settling on one.  I primarily listen to music (metal, rock, pop, electronica, classical) and watch movies/videos.  I don't game ever so often, maybe every few days here and there or so.  Just getting that out there.  I plan on purchasing a sound card, a 2.1 channel speaker setup, and a good set of headphones (no headsets).

So, there are two sound cards which I've drawn down to, they are the Asus Xonar D1, and the Asus Xonar Essence ST.  I can't use a PCI-E Interface soundcard due to the fact that I don't have any more slots available, just PCI.  I liked the Xonar Essence ST because of the dedicate headphone amp.  I think it would be perfect for the Sennheiser HD555 (the headphones I have already been set on).  I also liked it because of the RCA outputs it has, which I think would come in handy for a decent speaker setup.  I considered the D1 if I were just to get a speaker setup, but I still wish to purchase the HD555s and use them to their full potential, so I am not too sure if the D1 is the right choice.

Now as far as speakers go, here is my primary problem.  Which one??  At first, I initially was going to go with the Klispch ProMedia 2.1 Speaker System, but then noticed that both the Bose Companion 3 and the Corsair SP2500 are only $50-$70 more than the Klipsch.  The other speaker system that falls in that price range that I was recommended to are the Audioengine A2s.  While those do not come with a Subwoofer, they have the ability to have one added on later on.  I like all of these speaker systems, but can't decide between any of them.  I am of course, open to any other suggestions.  My budget currently is $250 max.

Anyways, I hope someone can help with this,

Thanks in advance,

Destroysall

Users who are viewing this thread

Back