Want to upgrade a simple system - Any suggestions?
Nov 5, 2005 at 6:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

hippojam

New Head-Fier
I'm a relative beginner audiophile, so please bear with me. (But I do have an engineering degree, so I'll learn quickly.)

Right now this is my current PC system:
Shuttle XPC Zen ST62K P4 3.2Ghz
Onboard realtek ALC650 (AC'97 Codec) (supports 6 ch DAC)
5.1 Channel Audio Output
Optical S/PDIF Out

Stereo:
Right now I have a cord going from the headphone jack to the line in of my Bose Wave Radio/CD. The sound quality is acceptable, but about 30% of the MP3s (Mostly 192-320 bit rate quality) get distorted, especially at louder levels.

I want to remove this distortion and get better sound quality while keeping my set-up simple...I don't want a billion wires and components everywhere since I have a small place.

I was thinking that using the S/PDIF optical out on my computer and getting a new Bose-similar little stereo with a DAC would be an upgrade, but now I'm reading that digital isn't necessarily better than analog.

Can anyone tell me what my main limitations in sound quality are right now? (I'm assuming it's the analog cable and Bose stereo and not the PC configuration, but I could be wrong.)

Does anyone have any suggestions of a good simple upgrade to this system? What cable should I use? What's a good alternative to a Bose Wave stereo for a studio apartment? Are there any computer enhancements I could do without getting a new sound card?

Thanks in advance!

Jeremy

Nov 5, 2005 at 7:17 PM Post #2 of 16
Welcome to Heaf-Fi, sorry about your wallet.

I'd say that your main limitation is the Bose system ... Bose doesn't have a good rep on this board
tongue.gif

You havn't mentioned a budget, so it's a little hard to really give some advice, but you should be able to pick up a budget seperates amplifier and a pair of bookshelf speakers for +/-$200. Make sure you get speakers that are happy to sit close to the wall (not rear ported models) as you have a small place, you probably won't have the room to get decent stands.

Your other alternative is to get a decent set of headphones and a dedicated headphone amplifier. A set of low end Grados (SR-60, 80 or 125) and an CMoy or PA2V2 will also come to around $200.

Nov 5, 2005 at 7:34 PM Post #3 of 16
my budget is up to about $500, I think.

What kind of speakers and amplifier would you recommend? And I know this sounds bad, but simplicity is really a big deal to me. I move pretty often and live in small apartments, so as much of a marketing scheme as Bose is, the simplicity of the system is valuable in itself. Is there any kind of upgrade available that won't require a full shelf amplifier and bulky speakers? Are there any economies when it comes to size?

Also, if I were to get a pair of speakers and an amplifier, what would be the best connection for my computer? Digital? Analog?

Thanks.

Nov 5, 2005 at 8:35 PM Post #4 of 16
I'm a little out of the loop where modern Hi-Fi is concerned, but for $500 you could definately get a better sounding sperates system. Overall it wouldn't be that much more complex, and your ears WILL thank you for it.

Also, like i said, headphones are a real alternative when you are pressed for space. The other bonus with headphones is that they remove the room from the equation - most speakers will be affected by the placement within the room.

Nov 5, 2005 at 11:18 PM Post #5 of 16
what is a sperates system...is that a brand?

i don't know about headphones. i usually just listen at home.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rav
I'm a little out of the loop where modern Hi-Fi is concerned, but for $500 you could definately get a better sounding sperates system. Overall it wouldn't be that much more complex, and your ears WILL thank you for it.

Also, like i said, headphones are a real alternative when you are pressed for space. The other bonus with headphones is that they remove the room from the equation - most speakers will be affected by the placement within the room.

Nov 6, 2005 at 5:52 AM Post #6 of 16
By separates system, I think Rav meant a component system, or a receiver with bookshelves.

I do agree that If you're moving around a lot, a headphone setup would probably be a great alternative as it takes little space and is easy to move around and depending which way you go will sound much better than that Bose Radio. $500 can definitely net a good pair of headphones and an amplifier to boot.

Nov 6, 2005 at 8:09 AM Post #7 of 16
If you have $500 to spend, you can actually get a great sounding small stereo, if you shop in the right place. Rather than circut city or Best buy, try to find a good but not snobby high end stereo store that carries NHT or PSB speakers... both make $300 per pair speakers that will make your wave radio sound like its playing from inside a cardboard box. You will be blown away. If youdont have a local dealer look for these brands on line. For an amp, again, skip the Japanese brands and look for something by NAD or Creek. you can also try some of the audiophile stores on line like Needle Doctor, audio advisor. One of them has a nice amp for $250. http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/pr...n%20Blackaudio

Nov 7, 2005 at 12:57 PM Post #8 of 16
I don't think you guys have read this right. He's ok with the sound quality of the Bose. He says, "The sound quality is acceptable, but about 30% of the MP3s (Mostly 192-320 bit rate quality) get distorted, especially at louder levels." It seems he needs his music ripped at a higher bit-rate and either an external DAC or a better sound card to cut out the distortion he is hearing. Get a better stereo and he'll have the exact same problem.

Nov 8, 2005 at 3:07 AM Post #9 of 16
i think you might be right. while a new stereo will improve quality, it's not the first order of business with that distortion problem. as i said, CDs in the bose itself don't have the distortion.

maybe it's just a question of needing a better soundcard. but i think it has to do with the connection, too. i'm wondering if an airport express will solve the problem.

Nov 8, 2005 at 8:50 AM Post #10 of 16
If you're not opposed to headphones I would say a Emu 0404 soundcard (possibly modified) into a Pimeta (or around that quality) amp and a good set of headphones would fit within your $500 limit nicely and would probably sound better than a stereo system in the same price range.

Nov 8, 2005 at 11:09 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by hippojam
what is a sperates system...is that a brand?

i don't know about headphones. i usually just listen at home.

I always just listen at home and listen almost exclusively to headphones. You can't really beat the sound quality for anywhere near the price if you try going for a full-size system. I don't really take my headphones anywhere. I just prefer not to disturb other people when I listen to music. Plus, the sound quality is amazing.

Nov 8, 2005 at 11:40 AM Post #12 of 16
Onboard PC audio is notoriously bad. I'd start with an upgrade to a separate soundcard. A good inexpensive one is the Chaintech AV-710. Further up the scale are the Emu 0404 and 1212M cards, if you can stand Creative's horrendous drivers. Also worth considering the M-Audio Audiophile 192, IMO.

After that, if you want to listen with headphones (this is a Head-Fi forum after all) you'll probably want to think about a separate headphone amplifier... the market for these has opened up, and you can get a reasonable one for under $150 (I have no specific recommendations).

If you want to keep the Bose setup, just getting a better soundcard and possibly re-ripping those MP3's and/or going to lossless (with some guidance from those in the PC Sources forum) should be a big help. Just be aware that you'll be getting constant advice to dump the Bose and acquire a nice set of headphones & amp
biggrin.gif

Nov 9, 2005 at 4:29 AM Post #13 of 16
so that brings me to a new question...or set of them:

1. would good headphones attached to my computer playing MP3s sound better or worse than my Bose playing a CD? If the headphones won't sound better, then i guess i should get a speaker system instead.

2. will a better sound card improve both headphone sound and speaker sound? is it necessary in all cases?

Nov 10, 2005 at 6:20 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by hippojam
so that brings me to a new question...or set of them:

1. would good headphones attached to my computer playing MP3s sound better or worse than my Bose playing a CD? If the headphones won't sound better, then i guess i should get a speaker system instead.

Almost certainly better, although i find with my Shuttle SN25P that without an (headphone) amp the sound is totally thin and lifeless.
Quote:

2. will a better sound card improve both headphone sound and speaker sound? is it necessary in all cases?

Really depends on what you have tbh. Generally you get what you pay for.

Nov 12, 2005 at 6:06 AM Post #15 of 16

Good headphones would sound as bad as your Bose with the way you have your system set up. Your problem is NOT your sound system, as much as we'd like to debate Magnipans against Paradigms. No, you should not get a better speaker system. Frankly, your Bose isn't that great, nor that bad. I've listened to it extensively from a friend and it's "acceptable." I have the Cambridge Soundworks Model 88 (designed to be a Bose killer) plugged into my DIY guzzler DAC and it sounds fine for general listening around the room. When I want "critical" HIFI listening I go thru my Corda headamp and w1000's. The Bose will give a small room good sound with minimal soundstage and enough bass to please most people not looking for monitor quality speakers. The problem, as I hope you are figuring out by now, is the fact you have your Bose connected through your headphone out jack on your computer. I also made the same mistake and was as frustrated as yourself.

Now, the answer to your first question is yes. A better soundcard will improve your headphone and Bose setup. The answer to the second part is no. You have an optical line out on your computer. Use that. Get a DAC with optical in. Plug your Bose and your future headamp into that DAC and you'll be enjoying better sound than you can realize at this present moment--perhaps better than you've ever heard.

But...not done yet. Your music is ripped at too low a bitrate to appreciate any difference. Sorry. This is your most serious problem. It's the "limiting factor." You'll need to re-rip your CD's with a good ripper program like EAC and a lossless compression program like FLAC in order to fully appreciate the difference. So, do you really want to indulge in this? And BTW cable tweaking is the least of your worries right now. I use regular rat shack cables. As soon as I pay off my credit card bill I'll get the gold plated cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back