Want to upgrade a simple system- Any suggestions?
Nov 5, 2005 at 6:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

hippojam

New Head-Fier
I'm a relative beginner audiophile, so please bear with me. (But I do have an engineering degree, so I'll learn quickly.)

Right now this is my current PC system:
Shuttle XPC Zen ST62K P4 3.2Ghz
Onboard realtek ALC650 (AC'97 Codec) (supports 6 ch DAC)
5.1 Channel Audio Output
Optical S/PDIF Out

Stereo:
Right now I have a cord going from the headphone jack to the line in of my Bose Wave Radio/CD. The sound quality is acceptable, but about 30% of the MP3s (Mostly 192-320 bit rate quality) get distorted, especially at louder levels.

I want to remove this distortion and get better sound quality while keeping my set-up simple...I don't want a billion wires and components everywhere since I have a small place.

I was thinking that using the S/PDIF optical out on my computer and getting a new Bose-similar little stereo with a DAC would be an upgrade, but now I'm reading that digital isn't necessarily better than analog.

Can anyone tell me what my main limitations in sound quality are right now? (I'm assuming it's the analog cable and Bose stereo and not the PC configuration, but I could be wrong.)

Does anyone have any suggestions of a good simple upgrade to this system? What cable should I use? What's a good alternative to a Bose Wave stereo for a studio apartment? Are there any computer enhancements I could do without getting a new sound card?

Thanks in advance!

Jeremy

Nov 6, 2005 at 3:25 AM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by hippojam
I want to remove this distortion and get better sound quality while keeping my set-up simple...I don't want a billion wires and components everywhere since I have a small place.

How are you controlling the volume? Do you use the PC volume control or the one in the radio? If the former, you may be overdriving the headphone output of your sound card. Try lowering the volume of the PC and turning up the radio to get the same sound level and see whether the distortion goes away.

Quote:

Can anyone tell me what my main limitations in sound quality are right now? (I'm assuming it's the analog cable and Bose stereo and not the PC configuration, but I could be wrong.)

Other than the distortion, your main limitation is the Bose radio. Next is probably the compressed MP3 files. Try listening to a CD, or RIP a CD to an uncompressed format such as WAV to evaluate how much you're losing with compression.

Quote:

Does anyone have any suggestions of a good simple upgrade to this system?

Well, this is a headphone site, so I'd be remiss if I didn't suggest a good pair of headphones. I'd suggest a pair of Grado SR-60s. They'll sound better than any radio or small stereo. You can plug them right into the headphone output of your sound card. You don't need a headphone amp.

Headphones do have their limitations, though. Denon makes a mini-system, the D-M50S, that isn't a lot bigger than your Bose, but that probably has much better sound. (I haven't heard one.) It uses Mission speakers. Mission is a well-respected manufacturer from England. You could put the speakers on either side of your computer monitor if you want (and if you have room).

http://usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/912.asp

The next step up, but still not overly complex, would be a stereo receiver like the Harmon-Kardon HK 3380 and a pair of small speakers. The Paradigm Atoms and Wharfedale Diamond 9.1s are small and have gotten good reviews in the audio press.

I'm puzzled why you're reluctant to get a new sound card. The EMU 0404 is highly regarded on this board, and at $100 it's much cheaper than an outboard DAC. I think you'd find that it would be a very cost-effective upgrade.

Tom

Nov 6, 2005 at 4:15 AM Post #3 of 10
agreed that the bose radio is the main limitation. Have a listen to small bookshelf type speakers and you will quickly realize bose is all about marketing and hype. I would suggest upgrading to at least a pair of bookshelves if this is doable. You have to tell us what you can and cannot accomadate, your price range, placement limitations, etc.

Nov 6, 2005 at 8:13 PM Post #5 of 10
first of all, thank you...this is great information!

I tried adjusting volume - lower computer, higher Bose. No help.

It is attached to line out, not headphone out, I just figured out.

However, I might have left out some important information. For some music I have on my computer, I have the CD. I put the CD in the Bose, and it sounds much better...so yes, spending a couple hundred dollars and upgrading to a good stereo is definitely an option. (Which is why I'm asking you guys for alternative systems and brands.) But part of me thinks the Bose isn't all the problem here.

Do you think my soundcard is terrible? Do lossless formats sound that much better than 320 kps MP3s? And what I'm really wondering is does a ten foot line out cord to the Bose cause all the degradation? Sorry if I didn't include that fact before...but would an external amp help counteract the degradation from the length of the cord?

Nov 6, 2005 at 8:17 PM Post #6 of 10
In terms of replacing the bose. My TV set up is about 6 feet away from the computer, and that's where I want my stereo. So I need a cord going from here to there. Or wireless connection, if it's worth it.

I have one bookshelf for my speakers. And my place is very small...So I don't have room, nor want, a large system. Especially when I move and have to cart it around to new places.

I'm going to check out those headphones and the Denon model that was suggested. Maybe even the new soundcard, too...but I remember reading on some posts that people don't think it's worth investing in a new soundcard, but instead new DAC or amps are more important. Anyone agree?

If anyone has any more suggestions, I'll defiitely look into it.

Nov 6, 2005 at 8:44 PM Post #7 of 10
Everyone is so quick to bash the bose here, but I feel like everyone is neglecting that you're using the onboard soundcard which sounds horrible. Even going from onboard to an audigy 1 is a HUGE step up. I would recommend upgrading source and then seeing if that's the sound you want. I believe the chaintech AV-710 is what everyone will suggest as a cheap soundcard alternative

Nov 7, 2005 at 11:53 AM Post #9 of 10
I agree with markot86. The improvement from an onboard AC97 (bad, bad, bad!!) soundcard and a cheap AV710 is impressive. No background noise, and nice, clean music.

Nov 8, 2005 at 3:04 AM Post #10 of 10
yeah, looks like i'll need a new sound card (someone mentioned the av-710 is better than the audigy?), and i think some decent 2.1 speakers would fit my needs (the csw or paradigm atoms seem to the consensus). maybe an airport express since i'm going to put them over by the TV which is 6 feet away from the computer and that long cord probably doesn't help the signal.

someone mentioned the orb speakers...are they a fraud or the real thing? anyone have experience with them?

anyone have experience with the airport express?

someone also mentioned the JVC combined DVD/Receiver, but i've got a great DVD player and I'm wary of all-in-one electronics. they usually don't do either well...but it's tempting to save that space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back