Want to try something new
Mar 8, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #17 of 34
Ah, good idea, I didn't even think about that!

Great! Hmm...thanks a lot lol!
biggrin.gif

I have no idea about the price difference between the two.

EDIT: Duh, same price on B&H. K, I'll get one of the two from them I guess.

Mar 8, 2010 at 7:25 AM Post #18 of 34
Ok, well I'm going to sleep on it.

I'll order the K702's tomorrow (later today actually) unless someone can talk me out of them.
icon10.gif

The 3 cans I'm looking at are:

Beyerdynamic DT 990

Beyerdynamic DT 880

AKG K 701/02

So convince me to get an 990 or 880 instead or forever hold your peace!
tongue.gif

Mar 8, 2010 at 7:37 AM Post #19 of 34
AKG K70x have less bass than the Grados for me, even recabled and well amped, great headphones, just not bassy at all.

If you want bass, you should go denons or ultrasones (i own the later, pro 900's) they aren't that hot to wear really, i am in summer at the moment and they have served me well.

Mar 8, 2010 at 8:03 AM Post #20 of 34
I'm interested in the Denon 2000's, but I've heard they are TOO bassy! Also maybe that they are colored and boxy? And yea, now that I have thought about it more, I am worried that closed headphones, besides maybe not sounding as "hi-fi" as open ones in the same range, will also be too hot.

What I really want is probably the 701/2's clarity, detail, openness and pretty flat response and the 880/990's bass. What scares me about the 880/990 is the comments about their midrange/voices being recessed (a "V" or "U" shape response that pronounces the lows and highs) That simply won't do for me! So I'm betting on the 701/2's having "enough" bass, at least compared to my Grado's that seem to have punchy mid bass (which is nice) and little else.

Thanks for your input!

Why's it have to be so complicated?!
icon10.gif

Mar 8, 2010 at 8:13 AM Post #21 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pariah1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I got upgrade/try-something-different itus.
tongue.gif

The main reason is that while I really like my Grado 225i's and just recently got a Head Direct EF-1 to run them (with Tung Sol Black Glass NOS tube currently), I just can't get over their lack of bass (one of the reasons I got the EF-1, to try to give them more bass).
[...]
What I like sound presentation wise is something very much like the Grado's, only with more bass and detail (and maybe less mid-centric and more of a sound stage). I LOVE micro-detail! Terms I've used to describe my preferences sound wise in the past have included: Transparent, detailed, resolving, revealing, accurate, articulate, textured, bright, fast, tight/taut, engaging, lively, forward, analytical, open, clear, etc.

Sounds like you could like a pair of Alessandro MS2i with alternate pads, pretty much fits all the requirements here, sound wise, price wise and setup wise.

Mar 8, 2010 at 8:13 AM Post #22 of 34
It is all trial and error, i have gone through too many already myself
frown.gif

Mar 8, 2010 at 8:38 AM Post #23 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Killercrush /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like you could like a pair of Alessandro MS2i with alternate pads, pretty much fits all the requirements here, sound wise, price wise and setup wise.

What's funny is that I've already changed my thinking since I wrote that!
redface.gif
(Or, more accurately, I've reverted to the older thinking I've had on the issue since I've been aware of all the choices in cans).

Listening to my 225i's and thinking about it all more it's apparent that I really just want a change in SS. I'm tired of the mid-centric and warm (somewhat muddy and undetailed with small sound stage as well) yet lean (in terms of bass) sound of my 225i's. That means getting away from Grado/MSxx SS.

Before I even got my 225i's I was interested in the 701/02, 990, and 880 (in fact I looked at them but didn't have a good amp at the time and really wanted to keep the price at $200 and under so...), but decided to go with the 225i's mostly as I listen to a lot of aggressive rock/metal with my cans and can always listen to the more refined stuff with my more neutral speakers.

Well, while I DO still really like the 225i's, I guess I'm a bit tired of them and want a change. So, even if the 225i's had more bass (enough to satisfy me), I think I'd STILL want to try something else (although it'd be harder to justify). Besides, I'll still keep the 225i's for my metal/rock if I think they do better with it than what I end up with.

I thought of starting another thread to reflect these changes and just to say ok, which one: the 701/02, 990, or 880? But that's frowned upon so...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Revogamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is all trial and error, i have gone through too many already myself
frown.gif

Yes, I know, it's part of the "fun" lol.
biggrin.gif
It's also one reason I want to try something else: because I'd hate to think I was missing out on a phone that I would like a lot more than what I have currently because I decided to just be stubborn and say that what I have is "good enough" (even if it is, strictly speaking, more than good enough in terms of what 90% of people have or can afford), even if I am some what unsatisfied with it. Life is way too short for that! I don't need audio perfection, and am really not a totally picky/never satisfied audiophile snob: I have been more than satisfied, very happy actually, with my same speaker setup for about 5 years now, so I know I can reach a point where a set up is "good enough" for me in that nothing drastically lacks or I find annoying even if it is, of course, not perfect. With headphones I haven't reached that point yet (maybe I never will, maybe it's harder with cans than speakers). Time will tell...

Mar 8, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #24 of 34
Ordered the 702's. Should be here Wed.

Thanks for all the help and I bet I'll like/love them!
k701smile.gif

If I really don't for some reason (after much "burn in" and getting accoustomed to) I'll exchange them at B&H for 990's or 880's. One of these 3 cans I'm bound to like, right?
darthsmile.gif

Mar 8, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #25 of 34
Quote:

Anyone have the Grado 225i's and AKG 701's who has an opinion on the bass difference, which has more/less? I'm sure the 701's would have the better bass articulation and texture, which is another thing I love.

I have the 325is' and the k701s - and like you have an affinity towards detail, clarity, etc. You can see the cans I have in my signature - I absolutely love my Denons and they would IMO give you a much more pronounced bass while keeping much of the detail (however they are closed which you are trying to avoid).

To the point of k701s providing the crystal clear detail that you love - and a little more punch in the low end - I think you would be quite happy. I find that the bass in the k701s (which doesn't seem to be enough for many) is just right for me. At the end of the day they are my favorite cans - and I think you would be very pleased with the choice. I find them nearly perfect across the board for me - and depending on your music choice - they'll probably do the trick and tame that desire for an upgrade. Good luck!

Mar 9, 2010 at 4:03 AM Post #26 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by lescanard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the 325is' and the k701s - and like you have an affinity towards detail, clarity, etc. You can see the cans I have in my signature - I absolutely love my Denons and they would IMO give you a much more pronounced bass while keeping much of the detail (however they are closed which you are trying to avoid).

To the point of k701s providing the crystal clear detail that you love - and a little more punch in the low end - I think you would be quite happy. I find that the bass in the k701s (which doesn't seem to be enough for many) is just right for me. At the end of the day they are my favorite cans - and I think you would be very pleased with the choice. I find them nearly perfect across the board for me - and depending on your music choice - they'll probably do the trick and tame that desire for an upgrade. Good luck!

Thank you for your view, it seems you perfectly stated what I am looking for: detail and articulation with just a bit more low end punch/weight than my 225i's.

I bet the Denon's are good cans, I'm just wary of closed. Maybe that's stupid, but I do know that I tend to get hot easily (winter is my favorite season as the cold just doesn't bother me much--I even cycle during it, go hiking, and used to go winter camping all the time) and I don't want hot/sweaty ears.

I'm sure I'll like/love them; if not I will exchange them for something else. Looking forward to hearing them!
k701smile.gif

Mar 9, 2010 at 7:02 AM Post #27 of 34
I just ordered the AKG K701s and mine will be in on Wednesday as well. Such as small world.
biggrin.gif

I currently have the DT990 Pro (250), and if you don't want your vocals buried in the mix, DON'T get these. Quite recessed mids; the vocalist sound like they are 10 feet behind the instruments at times.

If I don't like the K701 (I think I will like it), I'm either going for the DT880\600 or SR325i, even though I've never heard a Grado before.

Mar 9, 2010 at 8:16 AM Post #28 of 34
Yea, we were posting together in that other thread as well (I left after that one ass--I've seen him come out of nowhere to insult others too; I suppose it's nice to be so delusional you actually think you are omniscient/have a monopoly on truth, especially in matters where there is no such thing--came in lol; I refuse to argue with morons who think that something so subjective as psycho acoustics can possibly be a matter to be settled by empirical/logical argumentation--and graphs! lol--and who even employee the ad populum fallacy--and others--in defense of their biases...how silly and irrational).

I too choose the $6 faster shipping as I know that I wouldn't want to wait until Fri. (the delivery estimate with free shipping). I mean, for $6 bucks...

If I don't like the 702's (I'm sure I will as well), then I will be looking at the DT880\600's as, even though they are more expensive than the 990's (and 701/02's), they are supposed to be better with more prominent mids (if not as much bass).

IF, for some reason I didn't like EITHER the 702's or 880's, then maybe I'd try the Denon 2000's or something else.

I'm betting that we both are going to be very happy come Wed. evening.
k701smile.gif

Mar 9, 2010 at 9:54 AM Post #29 of 34
Quote:

I too choose the $6 faster shipping as I know that I wouldn't want to wait until Fri. (the delivery estimate with free shipping). I mean, for $6 bucks...

Heck yeah, 2 day shipping for only $6 is awesome. When I bought my DT990 Pros from them, I chose that as well. Great deal.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

IF, for some reason I didn't like EITHER the 702's or 880's, then maybe I'd try the Denon 2000's or something else.

I thought about those, but I really want to get open cans. After I bought my AD700s (first open pair I've used) I just couldn't go back to closed cans. I don't like feeling so "disconnected" from from everything; I like being able to hear the phone ring, the alarm clock go off, knocking on the door, etc. They also have an unnatural pressure-in-the-ears sensation that makes them uncomfortable. I have heard that the Denon's are more like semi-closed than closed though. So maybe they wouldn't be so bad.

Quote:

I'm betting that we both are going to be very happy come Wed. evening.
k701smile.gif

I hope so; it's unfortunate that my Matrix M-Stage amp won't be coming in till the end of the month.. I was hoping to be able to test the K701 with it before the 15-day-return-limit is up. I'm just using the headphone output on my EMU1820 right now - which works pretty well for my DT990\250, so maybe it won't be so bad. We shall see.
biggrin.gif

Mar 9, 2010 at 10:14 PM Post #30 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon7s /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Heck yeah, 2 day shipping for only $6 is awesome. When I bought my DT990 Pros from them, I chose that as well. Great deal.
biggrin.gif

Yea, I've ordered stuff from B&H before and have always been happy with their prices and service. They send me this huge catalog like twice a year that has about every electronic device in the world (including lots of professional stuff for lighting, photography, and sound mixing equipment) in it. It's like a phone book lol. I don't know how they can afford to send that out and have great prices on a lot of stuff as well!

Quote:

I thought about those, but I really want to get open cans. After I bought my AD700s (first open pair I've used) I just couldn't go back to closed cans. I don't like feeling so "disconnected" from from everything; I like being able to hear the phone ring, the alarm clock go off, knocking on the door, etc. They also have an unnatural pressure-in-the-ears sensation that makes them uncomfortable. I have heard that the Denon's are more like semi-closed than closed though. So maybe they wouldn't be so bad.

I almost got the 2000's instead of my Grado's. But yea, I really wanted to stay away from closed cans. I used to have some Sony MDR-V600 closed cans that I got at Worst Buy as a teen for $100 (wayyy back in those pre-internet days when you couldn't read all the reviews of audio components or look for better prices like these days!), and while I remember them being good (of course I had no other phone to compare them to for reference), they were always hot and had somewhat of a "echoey" sound from being closed.

I also don't like to be closed off from everything; when I'm wearing my IEM's around the house doing chores (like cutting grass) I can swear I hear my gf calling me for something, or the phone ringing, or some car pulling up in the driveway, doorbell...etc. I'll pull one out and nope: nothing. It's annoying.

Speaking of uncomfortable, I saw you mention the 325i's as an option (though you'll probably be satisfied with the 701's or 880's). IME the 225i's are uncomfortable. They were really bad for awhile; after 20 minutes my ears would really hurt. I messed with the band (never washed the pads as I never found them itchy) and they got better, to the point I could wear them an hour or two before they got uncomfortable (but not actually hurting like before, just kind of like it was nice to take them off and massage my ears a bit). Now I can wear them for over 5 hours and they are fine, except that they never feel like they fit right over my ears (medium sized btw). I find my self adjusting them often like they aren't ever quite centered. It's annoying.

They ARE good/great cans, but the ill fit/discomfort, along with the lack of bass and colored sound (colored well imo but still colored), led me to want to try something else, hence this thread.
k701smile.gif

Quote:

I hope so; it's unfortunate that my Matrix M-Stage amp won't be coming in till the end of the month.. I was hoping to be able to test the K701 with it before the 15-day-return-limit is up. I'm just using the headphone output on my EMU1820 right now - which works pretty well for my DT990\250, so maybe it won't be so bad. We shall see.

Oh, I didn't know about the rest of your set up (or lack of it quite yet).

I wouldn't worry too much about it; there are levels of SQ and you need not become a totally picky audiophile to achieve great sound, or at least good, nor be able to tell if you will like the SS of a pair of cans or not even before they are "properly" amped/sourced. Your experience with 990's proves that.

And some of the best listening experiences I ever had were as a teen with my Sony cans out of my crappy Kenwood receiver's jack, with my source being some crappy Sony carousel cd player. Listening to such a set up now I would probably find it at worst awful and at best decent, but I didn't know better back then (although I could always tell something was "off") and immensely enjoyed my tunes regardless.

Getting into more hi-fi gear simply allows one to get closer and closer to optimal SQ (for their preferences). Better gear lifts veils of sound, and new layers and precision in recordings are revealed. But that doesn't mean that lesser gear can't also sound good/great! And you certainly don't have any low-fi gear regardless so...
smile_phones.gif

PS: That looks like a nice little amp you'll be getting!
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back