want to try some Shostakovich symphonies
Dec 10, 2006 at 8:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Hadden

100+ Head-Fier
Gonna take the plunge here. Which of the symphonies apart from particular performances are essential to have and which not so much? I love the violin concerto but haven't got around to exploring much else of his work.

Dec 10, 2006 at 8:59 PM Post #2 of 14
My rec's (and a lot of others) are contained in this thread, very informative indeed:

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=90907

For specific symphonies, there's a lot of controversy, particularly in the later symphonies (11-15) about which ones are masterpieces and which ones are dreck. By almost unanimus consensus the 2nd & 3rd symphonies are indeed dreck and to be avoided (I happen to agree w/the consensus). Of the others, I'd say 4th, 5th, 8th, 9th, are all good places to start.

Also, if you like the violin concerto's you should really check out the cello concertos as well, equally compelling works, IMO.

Dec 10, 2006 at 9:03 PM Post #3 of 14
The 5th symphony is the easiest to listen too. Check out Mariss Janson with Vienna Phil live. I particularly like the 11th. Rostropovich has one with National Symphony and he uses real church bells. But i like the intensity of Ashkenazy with St Petersburg.

Dec 10, 2006 at 10:03 PM Post #4 of 14
I'd say the fifth and the eleventh. The eleventh has some odd, hyper-fast performances during the Bloody Sunday passages, but I think that Rozhdestvensky is very good on that Symphony, and more authentic to the composer's intentions. I listen to Haitink for the Fifth.

The seventh, eighth, tenth and twelfth would be my next recommendations.

Dec 10, 2006 at 10:25 PM Post #5 of 14
I'm partial to the 5th symphony. Love the percussion on the start of the 4th movement.

Dec 10, 2006 at 11:25 PM Post #7 of 14
Whoa! Start with 5 -- by a wide margin his most popular. There are so many fine versions, that to pick one out the crowd as "the best" is impossible. But then, go to the first and the ninth. Marvelous, witty, wonderful scores. The 9th is a minefield for conductors: Bernstein gets it exactly right. If these three resonate, then go for the big war symphonies: 7 & 8. Then 10, 4, 11. You can comfortably skip 12, 13, 14, 15 until you're convinced you're a fan. You can skip 2 & 3 altogether until you're an addict.

This is weird: I was composing my result at the same time Doc Sarvis was. Interesting how closely we agree!

Dec 10, 2006 at 11:36 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbhaub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is weird: I was composing my result at the same time Doc Sarvis was. Interesting how closely we agree!

That's funny...Probably the exact same recommendations except that I like 12 a little more - but then, I like 12 more than most people. Everyone seems to regard 12 as uninspired but I have always liked it, especially Kondrashin's version.

I think 13 and 14 are monumental works but no place to start.

Dec 11, 2006 at 2:14 AM Post #9 of 14
I agree with everything that's been said above. Now, I know you didn't ask for performances, but I have to recommend one: Shostakovich 7/Bernstein/CSO (Deutsche Grammophone). It is not just one of the greatest Shostakovich recordings; it is one of my favorite recordings of all time, period. Lots of energy, lots of brass, and you just can't do any better. Plus you get a good performance of the 1st coupled with it, so it's a win win proposition.

Dec 11, 2006 at 8:50 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbhaub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Whoa! Start with 5 -- by a wide margin his most popular. There are so many fine versions, that to pick one out the crowd as "the best" is impossible. But then, go to the first and the ninth. Marvelous, witty, wonderful scores. The 9th is a minefield for conductors: Bernstein gets it exactly right. If these three resonate, then go for the big war symphonies: 7 & 8. Then 10, 4, 11. You can comfortably skip 12, 13, 14, 15 until you're convinced you're a fan. You can skip 2 & 3 altogether until you're an addict.

I agree with both of you except for 15. It's a bit shorter than the other symphonies and with all of the quotes (especially the Lone Ranger), it's amazingly accessible to the novice Shosty listener. I haven't met anyone who doesn't enjoy it although they may not understand just how complex it is.

Dec 11, 2006 at 11:32 PM Post #11 of 14
I have found of the russians Prokofiev more immediately accessible -- I like the mad circus playfulness in him; sort of smart crazy fun that's a bit sinister, like a very bright child after too much Halloween candy. (though he has many other sides, of course)

Shostakovich seems more of a somber intimidating monolith.

Thanks everyone for the helpful info so far.

Dec 11, 2006 at 11:49 PM Post #12 of 14
Kondrashin is always a good choice, with only two exceptions for me: Neumann/Czech Phil. on 7, and Ponnelle/Minsk on 8. Those two are really outstanding and show even the master Kondrashin how it is done right.

To me 7, 12 and 5 are the best, add 4 if you like Mahler. Somehow I like the Haitink 12 very much (normaly he isnt my style). If you can find the Ponnelle 8 dont miss the chance to get it too (as it is rare*and unusual dark - It's the soundtrack to the german movie "Gesang der Vögel" and released on BMG).

Dec 12, 2006 at 2:12 AM Post #13 of 14
Good list, Doc. They should put something like this in box-set booklets - very helpful to the newbies!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Sarvis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=xx-small]Just my opinion:

Round One:

Round Two (after you have absorbed the above)

Round Three (advanced study)

For Completists only:
3[/size]

Dec 12, 2006 at 1:45 PM Post #14 of 14
Round One:
5 (first CD purchase)

Round Two (after you have absorbed the above)

Round Three (advanced study)

For Completists only:

Good way to group Shosty symphonies by Doc, I have just made a couple changes for my list. (6,15)
Of course keep in mind by the time you buy round 1 used individual Cds you could buy a used complete set

Users who are viewing this thread

Back