Want to try my hand at making music.
Feb 19, 2008 at 3:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

AuroraProject

Headphoneus Supremus
So I'm interested in trying to make my own music. I am mainly interested in techno and trance. From doing some research it appears all I would need is something like Reason and a midi controller. If I got Reason and a keyboard midi controller can I make music with my MacBook Pro? If not what else would I need?

Thanks!

Feb 19, 2008 at 4:46 AM Post #3 of 12
If you don't have alot of experience making music you may want to start with something a little simpler like FL studio before you go spend a lot of money on Reason. Unless that is you plan on getting it by some "other" means :p. It may be easier to start with FL studio because there are many free vst's and such you can easily get, or download for it that are great for trance and techno. With Reason you would have to search around for refills. Don't get me wrong reason is great but you might have more fun picking up with fl studio and then later learning to use reason.

A mac book pro and a midi controller would be fine to start with, with whichever program you choose to start with.

Feb 19, 2008 at 1:08 PM Post #6 of 12
I believe you would need an additional software for mastering. Reason does not offer final mixdown mastering, to my knowledge. An old coworker of mine used Reason and Fruity Loops, then bought something from Steinberg. I forget the name.

Feb 19, 2008 at 4:46 PM Post #7 of 12
Also check into Ableton Live. There is a nearly full-featured demo (doesn't allow you to save) so you can try it out. I use it with Reason and a CME UF80

Feb 19, 2008 at 5:04 PM Post #8 of 12
I think Reason is a good tool for beginners. You don't need a keyboard to use it, as there's an option to punch in note events on a grid. You can't actually record anything with it, rather you sequence and manipulate the instruments that are already there. It does let you bounce songs you're working on into stereo WAV or AIFF files.

Feb 20, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #9 of 12
Thanks for the input folks. I have found usb keyboard midi controllers, so no need for the midi interface. I think I'm going to get the controller and download demo versions of the software available and find one I like the most.

Feb 21, 2008 at 8:52 AM Post #11 of 12
LOGIC!!! w00t.
But seriously though, go for Logic, and get whatever education discount you're eligible for (or not eligible for, shh), and you can get the new Logic Studio for RIDICULOUSLY cheap. The beauty is that is comes with pretty much everything you need to make music. Awesome virtual instruments, loads of effects, thousands of loops. Lovely.
To start with all you really need is a MIDI keyboard controller, which can be got very cheaply nowadays, although I'd recommend one with a good number of keys.

Feb 21, 2008 at 10:18 AM Post #12 of 12
Logic Express is also an amazing deal for the $179 student price, if you want to start small. It has nearly all the features of Logic Pro but is stripped of the other programs that come with Logic Studio, namely Mainstage and Soundtrack Pro, which I don't find much use for anyway. Logic Studio also has a few more instruments and effects plugins but you can always find many cheaper third party alternatives.

If you're on a Mac, you should definitely start out with Logic since it's Apple-developed. There's no other DAW that matches its elegance and simplicity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back