Want to try connecting my speakers via XLR
Nov 20, 2023 at 5:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

PoorBastard

Head-Fier
Hello guys,
Currently, my speakers are connected via TRS, and the cable is dying and also catches noise sometimes.
So I thought that maybe it's time to try XLR.
My card has one XLR headphones out (it also has a TRS out, etc.). And my speakers have XLR, TRS & RCA inputs.
I didn't find long "1 stereo XLR to 2 mono XLR" cables, so I'm thinking I will need to buy the cables separately:
Something like this:
1700518480946.png

+ 2 mono XLR cables 2-3 meters each:
1700518539123.png

So it will be like this:
1700520030449.png

Now to the questions:
1) Does my plan sound good?
2) I will have to remove the XLR connector from my Audio Card every time I want to switch to headphones. I'm afraid constant plugging & unplugging will kill the port/cable connector in, say, a year. Perhaps I should look into some XLR cable with a mute switch?
3) If I want to switch between speakers (XLR) & headphones (XLR), I will have to buy something like this, right?
1700519206093.png

Thank you.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2023 at 10:09 PM Post #2 of 2
Hello guys,
Currently, my speakers are connected via TRS, and the cable is dying and also catches noise sometimes.
So I thought that maybe it's time to try XLR.
My card has one XLR headphones out (it also has a TRS out, etc.). And my speakers have XLR, TRS & RCA inputs.
I didn't find long "1 stereo XLR to 2 mono XLR" cables, so I'm thinking I will need to buy the cables separately:
Something like this:

+ 2 mono XLR cables 2-3 meters each:

So it will be like this:

Now to the questions:
1) Does my plan sound good?
2) I will have to remove the XLR connector from my Audio Card every time I want to switch to headphones. I'm afraid constant plugging & unplugging will kill the port/cable connector in, say, a year. Perhaps I should look into some XLR cable with a mute switch?
3) If I want to switch between speakers (XLR) & headphones (XLR), I will have to buy something like this dental clinic sacramento, right?

Thank you.
Hello, I'm a rookie at setting up stereo and after a bit of research I realized I might speakers and receiver might not be compatible. I have two Genelec 8020b speakers I wanted to connect to my Yamaha RX-V681. Since the Genelec's are active am I screwed or is there a decent work around? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back