Want to trade my E5s in for some full size cans...
Jul 10, 2004 at 4:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

nkd

100+ Head-Fier
As much as I love my Shure E5s, I'd rather have some full sized headphones for home use. I'd considered getting IEMs, but I think I'd prefer to try full size for a change. I can't really afford or justify owning more than one good set of 'phones, so I'll have to sell the canalphones to be able to get something I'd be happy with. Currently I'm looking at these.

Grado RS-1
Sennheiser 650
Sony CD3K 'woodies'

I mostly listen to rock music, but also a fair ammount of classical. What would you recommend from this list (or others at similar prices) that would suit my tastes and not make me miss the Shures too much?

They'll be paired with a highly modified MAD EAR+ amplifier, which is in a wood case, and i'm shallow enough to care about the headphones looking good with it, hence the woodies!
biggrin.gif
That means that looks are a consideration for any recommendations you might make. Ok ok, that's not what we head-fiers are supposed to care about, but I keep my headphone rig as furniture, so looks count. Sue me!
rs1smile.gif

Jul 10, 2004 at 5:39 PM Post #2 of 16
I think the Senn's pair best with a tube amp. Plus the Senn's sound the best of the bunch you listed. JMHO, of course
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 10, 2004 at 5:41 PM Post #3 of 16
They also have the advantage of being the only ones I can get in the UK without paying far too much
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm worried about the whole 'veil' thing though. I doubt I'll be able to try before i buy.

Jul 10, 2004 at 6:35 PM Post #5 of 16
I think you really have to audition all of them to see which one you like, it's too hard to make a direct interpretation on which one you should get based on how you liked the E5's.

The warmth and punchiness of the E5's makes it a hard comparison against all those other headphones. I guess Sennheiser HD650 is the closest, but I've personally found the HD650 still too smooth, too inarticulate and laid back compared to CD3000 and E5.

RS-1 is pretty close in its own way, namely the punchiness and similar soundstage, but the discomfort I have with Grados in general means I'll never own one.

CD3000 is on the other end of the spectrum, it's colder, it has a huge, cavernous soundstage, and it's really articulate... but that turned out to be my full-size can of choice, because I'm not satisfied with either HD650 and RS-1.

Jul 10, 2004 at 8:28 PM Post #6 of 16
I think my local hifi shop has a pair of senn 600s. If I audition them with my amp, will I be able to get a good idea of whether I'd like the 650s do you think? The 650s are the most likely purchase as I can't find the CD3ks anywhere, and the RS1s cost over $1000 here!

Jul 10, 2004 at 8:59 PM Post #7 of 16
HD650's got more punchiness and excitement, which makes it closer to how the E5 feels, HD600 is really laid back. I think HD600 is a good barometer of the general sound signature, but it is definitely not the same as HD650. You'll get a sense of how warm the Sennheiser sound signature is, and the general size of the soundstage, the sound characteristic though is different enough to warrant an audition of the HD650 itself, rather than basing judgement on what you get from HD600.

Jul 10, 2004 at 9:33 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by lizzardfire
They seem to like the sound. I'd be interested to see a review on these too, though.

I'd like to hear a review as well.

Whenever I cover my Grados it sounds like I'm listening to an old time radio.

Jul 10, 2004 at 10:34 PM Post #12 of 16
Another question
smily_headphones1.gif

How necessary is a replacement cable for the 650s? I expect getting hold of one would be a real pain if I can't just build my own.

Jul 11, 2004 at 3:57 AM Post #13 of 16
I've found HD650 before the replacement cable just inadequate... it tries to be more exciting by "adjusting" the sound from the HD600's... what ends up happening is some really strange characteristics, especially in the midrange, that varies from record to record. The vocal sometimes gets way pushed back, sometimes the bass gets out more forward than all the other range, sometimes the string instruments are over-emphasized. It just didn't have a very good overall tonal balance.

You need to get some type of replacement cable before the true tonal quality of the HD650 comes out, and the balance across the entire spectrum is achieved again. Worst of all, I think even an Oehlbach cable is significant improvement over the stock cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back