Want to listen to speakers and headphones without moving ICs
Mar 21, 2003 at 9:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

peter braun

500+ Head-Fier
In my headphone setup I have my cd player hooked straight up to the headamp (duh). When I want to listen to my speakers however through the reciever below, I have to unplug the ICs from the headamp to connect the CDP to the reciever, since my cdp has only a single set of line outs. Is there some type of switch box I could use that would allow me to listen to one or the another without moving the ICs. I am worried about wearing out the jacks on the back of both the CDP and amp. Any suggestions.
confused.gif

Mar 21, 2003 at 10:29 AM Post #2 of 17
Hey peter,

Try connecting your headphone amp to the receiver's tape out. Select "tape" or "monitor" (whichever your Sansui uses for labeling) when you want to listen to the Headphone amp.

Good luck
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 21, 2003 at 3:18 PM Post #3 of 17
what carlo said , tape out to headphone amp

or simple RCA "Y" adapter

The problem with the above two methods are :

Tape Out method : you are always connected to the audio signal and could degrade it

"Y" Adapter method : see above

More elegant try a dedicated output selector, either a commercial product or DIY ; tiny metal box , six RCA jacks , DPDT switch
wire the sucker up to choose between output A (headphone amp) or B (main amp)

should take about 15 minutes and ten bucks to build

Mar 21, 2003 at 5:31 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by dougbrad81
will using the vampire rca splitters affect the sound in anyway?

Nah. Line level outs can be split without loss in quality.

Mar 21, 2003 at 5:33 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by dougbrad81
will using the vampire rca splitters affect the sound in anyway?

I doesn't to my ears...I detected no loss of signal at all. But it is a big improvement over using the Tape Out from my receiver to connect my headphone amp.

Mar 21, 2003 at 7:15 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally posted by Orpheus
i use vampire splitters too. though if you buy straight from vampire's web site, it's $20. compare with headroom's price.
wink.gif

heh he............ or you can set it up like my recording setup and have everything brought out to outboard patchbays. then just patch away...........

Got a pic of these patchbays? I'd likce to see what they look like when hooked up.

Mar 21, 2003 at 7:32 PM Post #10 of 17
well, the comment about patchbays was just a joke from me.... it's not really suitable for a home setup. adds too much clutter. of course, if you want to do a-b tests, patchbays are really helpful, cause you can switch on the fly........

but anyway, if you're curious, here are 2 pictures i've posted:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...e/fceb5606.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...3/fceb5665.jpg

sorry, don't have a picture specifically of the patch bay. it's the rack to the right on the first picture, and the one to the left on the second picture. can't see it really clearly. basically 5 rows of 48 jacks (with space for 5 more rows.) cabling is a nightmare. and cost is incredible.... just think of all those cables and plugs.
frown.gif

you can do a lot with patchbays though. they don't simply just bring out plugs/jacks for convenience. they also do "normalization" and splitting and other cool stuff.

but like i said, it's not really suitable for a home setup, unless you want to do quite a-b's.

Mar 21, 2003 at 7:34 PM Post #11 of 17
Thanks for the pics! I was just curious.
biggrin.gif

Mar 21, 2003 at 8:06 PM Post #14 of 17
Hey thanks for the suggestions everyone. I really do not want to run through the reciever, as we all go to great lengths to tweak our systems to perfetion, so will look into the vampire splitters.

Mar 21, 2003 at 8:54 PM Post #15 of 17
What is the address for Vampires site?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back