want to install new outlet - 15a or 20a?
Sep 18, 2003 at 2:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

cary

Head-Fier
alright, so i'm about to do some major rearranging and painting in my apt. and i thought now would be as good a time as ever to install a new outlet (or two). i will not be installing a dedicated audio line, so the line will likely be shared by some noisy appliances, including a comp. and monitor (which will hopefully be rectified by a filter and/or ultimate outlet, once i can afford one, which will be after i can afford a real - as in real good - cdp). is it safe to use a 20a hospital grade outlet, and is it worth the difference or should i opt for the 15a version? pardon me for my complete ignorance on the subject.

thanks.

Sep 18, 2003 at 3:50 AM Post #2 of 14
15A should be enough but 20A will give you more flexibility if later on you decided to hook a more powerful amp or any other stuff, I don't think the current line will support more than 15A though if is an old house....once in a boat take a look at those....

here

Sep 19, 2003 at 7:33 PM Post #3 of 14
thanks, guys, that was very helpful. after a little research, it does look like the acme silver/cryo will suit my purposes best, leaving me plenty of room for component upgrades too.

Sep 20, 2003 at 1:49 AM Post #4 of 14
where to get that acme, I was not able to find it???

Sep 20, 2003 at 7:05 AM Post #6 of 14
15A should be more than enough, unless you're planning to hook up things like space heaters, hair dryers, or microwaves. I know tube amps and other equipment uses quite a bit of power, Sovkiller, but where do you find an 1800 watt amp?

Sep 20, 2003 at 4:23 PM Post #7 of 14
Higher amperage outlets for audio purposes aren't for any practical purpose, as there's no equiptment associated with headphones that would require anything near that much amperage.

The difference is that the outlet is simply built more solidly, with larger connectors, and most likely with less internal resistance. Sure, you don't acually need it from a pure amperage prospective, but a higher amp outlet will possibly provide sonic benefits

Sep 20, 2003 at 6:00 PM Post #8 of 14
If you are looking at 20A outlets, make sure the wire in the wall and the circuitbreaker/fuse is adequate for the task; you may remember the outlet is supplied with 14ga. romex, but will the next guy think the circuit is adequate for his "real" 20A load.

Sep 20, 2003 at 6:21 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by stereth
15A should be more than enough, unless you're planning to hook up things like space heaters, hair dryers, or microwaves. I know tube amps and other equipment uses quite a bit of power, Sovkiller, but where do you find an 1800 watt amp?

Class A amps sometimes consume a lot of current, as they are less efficient, not necesarilly they have to offer you output power, add amps, HDTV, DVD, CDplayer, preamp, headamp, maybe an halogen lamp, a 450 watts computer power supply, an air conditioner, etc....and keep on adding and you will see how much you will need, the 20A line does not exist for funny, they are needed sometimes....but usually 15A is more than enough, as I stated before....

Sep 20, 2003 at 8:38 PM Post #10 of 14
To ask the obivious question not stated here, if you're spending money on special outlets for your headphone system, why exactly would you use them for anything else?

And sov, you use halogen lights in your house?!?

Sep 20, 2003 at 9:09 PM Post #11 of 14
Yes I have some lamps that use them, two of them to be more precise, this little tubes that has a filament across that are holded by the ends (300watts each) and are usually used in the stand lamps, look below, but I barelly use them ($$$), but I know a lot of persons that uses the mall the time.....

doubleend.jpg

Sep 20, 2003 at 9:11 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Ebonyks
To ask the obivious question not stated here, if you're spending money on special outlets for your headphone system, why exactly would you use them for anything else?

And sov, you use halogen lights in your house?!?

Becasue each outlet has two cxonnectors, if you replace two of them, in one I hook the power conditioner that let me connect the whole system on it, it has 6 outlets, and the other is empty, so it could be use for a lamp, let's say, or a fan, I'm not going to hook a lamp or a fan, on the power conditioner right?

Sep 20, 2003 at 9:20 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Becasue each outlet has two cxonnectors, if you replace two of them, in one I hook the power conditioner that let me connect the whole system on it, it has 6 outlets, and the other is empty, so it could be use for a lamp, let's say, or a fan, I'm not going to hook a lamp or a fan, on the power conditioner right?

I certaintly wouldn't. I mean, if i spent money on a power conditioner, i would at the very least try to give it the most dedicated line possible. Just my .02 though

Sep 20, 2003 at 9:27 PM Post #14 of 14
I tried but sometimes you need the extra outlet, BTW on mine the bottom part is separate from the top, and connected to the main switch of the living room, I hate this system but this is the "american way", I like the lights on the ceiling, not hooked on outlets but here is not easy to find that....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back