Want to get the Samsung P2, anyone tried it?
Nov 7, 2007 at 4:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ho1ming

New Head-Fier
Just lost my ipod video and not very interested in the Touch, looking at the Samsung P2 which is also a "Touch" and supports blue tooth, any opinions?
orphsmile.gif

Nov 7, 2007 at 8:33 PM Post #2 of 5
I just got mine a few days ago and haven't spent more than 4 hours using it. So my opinion my change after I really have broken it in. Overall though I am pretty happy with this purchase.

SQ: I have only listened to a Creative ZV:M and some of my friends ipods(don't remember which generation but it regular ipod, not a shuffle or nano).

I have to say I'm happy with the SQ. The bass is fairly crisp and in no way bloated. The mids feel kind of compressed or muddy but I need to do some more comparisons before I will rush to judgement. The highs sound a bit thin but are detailed. Compared to what I remember listening to the other amp-less players, from the headphone jack the P2 is probably one of the leaders if not the LEADER of the pack. Again though I haven't listened to the kenwoods, Rivers, Cowons, etc. so take that as you will.

It has a bunch of preset themes: Normal studio, rock, classical, jazz, ballad, club, Rhythm &blues, dance, concert hall, and user.
These are clearly manipulated eq's to match music. I haven't really tested how they sounded with their respective genre.

P2 also has a sound effect section with two options: Clarity and street mode. Again I have yet to touch this section so I don't know what it or why I would want to use it.

One feature that is nice, is the customizable EQ!
First of all the P2 has a Master EQ section which I guess will be used throughout movies, songs etc.

That section, under the settings, is a 7 band EQ +/-3. At first I was disappointed, as even though it has 7 bands how useful is it to only be able to +/- 3?? However in the music section when you use the "user" theme you have access to another EQ section. Again it is a 7 band EQ but +/-10! They also have special bass section where you can 0-4 to include "3d bass" and "bass." The P2 is set to 0 on both of these and I haven't touched them. I figure if I want more bass i'll just do it through the EQ?

Again SQ very solid. My friend got an iTouch so hopefully I can do a comparison in a couple weeks!

Functionality: This area I have a few qualms.

First of all I hate the software as you have to manually name folders and what not. THANK god you can just drag folders into it like a storage device and just bypass the software completely. You must use the software, at least I did, if you want to use the video feature of the P2. I mean it makes sense, based upon the screen size of the player, that you need to "convert" files to the settings used in the P2. Luckily the process is still automated, in the software you just transfer files like you normally do and the software will automatically convert files into SLV files. Biggest annoyance with the software? I have yet to figure it out but for SOME reason it forces my computer to play my music files of ALL types(mp3, wav, etc.) to play through WMP! Even though I made all my associations to play with foobar it just always opens with WMP. The problem is only solved after I uninstall the software. Luckily you can just right click files and open it with foobar but that is still annoying when I am already used to double clicking. It is a new player and although this is my first experience with Samsung, I have read that they are good about firmware and correcting problems. So I look forward to future updates!

In terms of the actual use of the P2. Everything is straight forward and you can customize the menu to look like ipod's icon look or their standard flying through space look. Videos look beautiful but I would never watch a movie on something so small.

I have yet to play with blue tooth.

I am happy that even though it is a touch screen player, it has dedicated volume buttons on the side!

I wish there was a dedicated charger, but the player did not come with one. I don't think the data person will support a charger that can directly be used into a wall socket. Therefore the only way to charge the player is through its data socket to USB port. Basically if you go on trips you have to have a laptop or a computer to charge your P2, that is annoying.
Also when you are connected to a computer, you can't USE the P2! The P2 stays in its data transfer mode/charging mode. The player itself attracts a lot of finger prints but what doesn't?

For music, you can just access files in the music browser. This allows you to find all your songs, albums, etc. like you would if you were using windows! This is important to me as I never have gotten into the iTunes look so couldn't deal with those long library looks. Of course there are other ways to access your music, which are more universal, such as genre, album, artist, playlists, etc.

The touch screen is a bit sensitive, but again I'm not used to using one. I just think I have big, clumsy thumbs but we shall see when I play with the touch!

Overall it is beautiful player. The colors, the crisp images makes me have eye-gasms. It is simple to use, savvy flash player that I have no problem with purchasing again.

Nov 7, 2007 at 9:28 PM Post #3 of 5
Finally checked one yesterday as a possible alternative to the D2 my boy has. I wanted the p2 for the larger screen and higher resolution. Howevere decided to keep the D2 for these reasons.

1. D2 has WAY more features and they access very quickly.

2. D2 screen is pressure sensitive while P2 is touch sensitive. P2 mean I HAVE to use my skin and not nail. Well, my nail is way more precise as it is thinner. On the D2, I can select perfectly no matter how small the area. On the P2, I have to use the skin which is much stubbier and difficult to navigate.

3. It's a breeze to set memory points on music or video that can be called up with a couple of taps. So I can be listening to 3 different lecture/newscasts, 4 different music, 2 other video etc and recall them at the point I exited. Samsung P2 has no such function. That's a HUGE 'No' for me.

4. D2 can speed up speech to 150%. So I can go through 1 hour lecture in 40 minutes. Samsung can't.

There are others but the above is what's relevant to me.

Screen brightness seem about equal with D2 being a smaller screen but also smaller player. 2.5" 4:3 ratio versus 3" 16:9 ratio.

Did not compare audio quality as the store was noisy.

UL

Nov 7, 2007 at 10:31 PM Post #4 of 5
WOW,
basshead.gif
that's really helpful man and make me really looking forward to get one. P2 seems out of stock everywhere in Pittsburgh area, probably I 've to get it online. By the way, how much did you get it for?

Nov 7, 2007 at 11:32 PM Post #5 of 5
249 shipped

Users who are viewing this thread

Back