Want to get some folding Sony, Sennheiser or JBL headphones.. Need help please!
Jul 7, 2016 at 6:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Fessy

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I want to get some headphones like my JVC HA-M55x, similar specifications (listed below) and want them to be over ears BUT I want them to fold like some Sony headphones fold like the Dre beats and want them to be open back or semi-open is fine but not closed back please? Oh and the price similar to my JVC headphones please, which was £25. So about UPTO £40. If there is no folding Sony headphones then the same specs without the folding please but small ear size over the ear headphone size please.

JVC HA-M55x Specs (Over ears):

Driver Unit 50.0mm 
Magnet type Neodymium 
Frequency Response 8-23000Hz 
Nominal Impedance 36ohms 
Sensitivity 107dB/1mW Max.
Input Capability 1000mW 

Thanks in advance!

Fes

Jul 7, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #2 of 10
It's going to be quite hard to find headphones satisfying all your listed requirements due to the fact that most headphones that are able to be folded up are meant to be portable, and therefore the vast majority of them are closed back for better isolation while on the go. Most open and semi-open back headphones are not designed with portability in mind, and therefore very few of them (in fact, I'm not aware of any) have the ability to be folded.

Jul 7, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #3 of 10
Hm,that sucks. My mates got the Dre beats pro and apparently they are supposed to be noise canceling but you can hear the sound outside which is weird :-S lol. Thanks for your reply though.

Jul 12, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #4 of 10
  It's going to be quite hard to find headphones satisfying all your listed requirements due to the fact that most headphones that are able to be folded up are meant to be portable, and therefore the vast majority of them are closed back for better isolation while on the go. Most open and semi-open back headphones are not designed with portability in mind, and therefore very few of them (in fact, I'm not aware of any) have the ability to be folded.

Hey there,

What if the same specifications but like small ear size for the headphones without folding, do you know of any Sony, Sennheiser or JBL like that? With open or semi open back please.

Jul 12, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #5 of 10

Hey there,

What if the same specifications but like small ear size for the headphones without folding, do you know of any Sony, Sennheiser or JBL like that? With open or semi open back please.

I'm assuming by "small ear size" you mean on-ear headphones as opposed to circumaural headphones. First, manufacturer specifications are rarely useful when looking at headphones, as they rarely correlate with actual sound quality, so don't spend your time looking for headphones with the same specifications. Second, while the manufacturers you listed generally make quality products, you're purposely limiting yourself by writing off lesser known brands that also make quality products. If I were to make recommendations in the budget open on ear headphone category, I would recommend the Koss Porta Pro as a cheaper option and the Sennheiser PX100IIi, which goes over your stated budget a little. It just so happens that both of them are foldable for extra portability.

Jul 13, 2016 at 5:50 AM Post #6 of 10
Yeah I mean that, sorry but I don't mind over ear headphoned like my JVC HA-M55x. Hmm ok. True. I know about them Koss headphones, I don't like the look of them lol. Them Sennheiser look nice but are they 1) Open or semi-open? 2) And do they have good impactful/rounded bass like the JVC HA-M55x? Yeah that price is still OK, thanks for the suggestions, appreciate it.

Jul 13, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #7 of 10
Yeah I mean that, sorry but I don't mind over ear headphoned like my JVC HA-M55x. Hmm ok. True. I know about them Koss headphones, I don't like the look of them lol. Them Sennheiser look nice but are they 1) Open or semi-open? 2) And do they have good impactful/rounded bass like the JVC HA-M55x? Yeah that price is still OK, thanks for the suggestions, appreciate it.

The Sennheiser PX100IIi are open back. The JVC HA-M55x is considered a V-shaped basshead headphone, and as such, your definition of "impactful/rounded bass" will be skewed by the large quantity of bass they have relative to midrange and treble frequencies. Most open back headphones are not basshead headphones, due to the nature of how dynamic drivers in a non-sealed enclosure have significant bass rolloff below the driver's resonant frequency; as such, dynamic driver open back headphones will never have the deep subbass rumble that well-designed closed back headphones are able to achieve. You would have to spend a significant sum on headphones with planar magnetic drivers to get non-rolled off bass in an open back design. With that being said, the Sennheiser PX100IIi has much less bass than the JVC HA-M55x, but is significantly more balanced in terms of frequency response, and it's measurements are surprisingly good for the price. The only basshead open back headphones I can think of that are readily available are the Beyerdynamic DT990 and the Philips Fidelio X1, but those are way out of your price range. There are more bassy headphones in the semi-open back category, like the Fostex TH-X00 Purpleheart, but once again, those are way out of your price range. The Koss Porta Pro I mentioned has more bass than the Sennheiser PX100IIi, and is probably your best bet in your price range for an on-ear open/semi open headphone with a decent amount of bass. If you still don't want the Koss, I'd suggest you rethink your requirements and expectations for your budget or increase your budget significantly.

Jul 13, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #8 of 10
I'm just afraid that if I spend even that much for the Sennheiser PX100IIi (£45+) it won't be what I want. They seem so small for a decent amount of bass and with the Cowon Plenue M I use with the custom EQs I'm afriad that they will bust easily because they don't state what the max input capability is to them unlike the JVC i think it is 1000mw or 2000mw one or the other. I see. I don't like the look 2 the Beyerdynamic DT990 and the double headband thing of the Philips Fidelio X1 lol sorry if I'm being a nuisance but am just very picky and know what I want/like. I can afford them it's just that I don't want to spend THAT much on a pair of good headphones like my JVCs. I like the Fostex TH-X00 Purpleheart but again, don't want to spend that much. Hmm, well I saw these Sony XB950AP, they fold and are "Premium Xtra Bass Overhead Headphone" and are around £30 but I don't know if these are semi open, can you confirm please?

Jul 13, 2016 at 10:27 PM Post #9 of 10
  I'm just afraid that if I spend even that much for the Sennheiser PX100IIi (£45+) it won't be what I want. They seem so small for a decent amount of bass and with the Cowon Plenue M I use with the custom EQs I'm afriad that they will bust easily because they don't state what the max input capability is to them unlike the JVC i think it is 1000mw or 2000mw one or the other. I see. I don't like the look 2 the Beyerdynamic DT990 and the double headband thing of the Philips Fidelio X1 lol sorry if I'm being a nuisance but am just very picky and know what I want/like. I can afford them it's just that I don't want to spend THAT much on a pair of good headphones like my JVCs. I like the Fostex TH-X00 Purpleheart but again, don't want to spend that much. Hmm, well I saw these Sony XB950AP, they fold and are "Premium Xtra Bass Overhead Headphone" and are around £30 but I don't know if these are semi open, can you confirm please?

The Sony XB950AP are closed back. At this point, if you already know what you want, do your own research and choose for yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back