Want to get my first pair of customs IEM please help
Jan 15, 2010 at 3:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

blythe

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I am currently using the Shure SE530 and I am thinking about upgrading to a pair of customs pair of IEMs. I was looking at ultimate Ears and im not too sure which pair would be right for me. What are the specific differences between them? Also, does anyone know what the procedure is of getting the molding of your ear is? I have never done this and would appreciate all the advice.

Jan 15, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #3 of 13
Thanks for the helpful information. I have found my local audiologist and planning to make a appointment.

I will be using these at home, the streets, and on the train. I travel a lot but will never be using these on the stage at all. Is ultimate ears the best option? Or are there other brands that will suit my needs better.

Jan 15, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #4 of 13
Well you could go a few different routes.

It seems like the crowd favorite around these parts is JH Audio. Check out their website, or look around here. Their models match up with those of UE's.

There's also the Westone route. I'm not very familiar with them, but others here are. Same goes for Sleek, Livewires, Sensaphonics. There are a few options, but the front-runners are JHA, UE, and Westone.

Lastly, you could buy universal Shure SE530 or UE Triple Fi's and get them customized by Fisher Hearing. Check the thread for more information.

Good luck.

Jan 15, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #6 of 13
My budget was 700-800 but it seems that the phones in that price range isn't that much of an upgrade to the shures I have, atleast from what I can see. So id figure I would have to put in extra which is around the 1k range.

Jan 15, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #9 of 13
JH just had a Facebook/Twitter discount. 100 bucks off the JH13. The last one before that was Thanksgiving, and before that was June. So I'm not sure about the next one.

Not sure about the other makers.

Jan 15, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jc9394 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not start with remold your SE530, for less than $100 you will find out you like custom IEM or not.

This is a good option, the route I actually took. But remember, if you remold your SE530 you can never get them back. So if you dont like it you lose out on your phones. You can resell though but not for as much as you could sell them now obviously.

ES3X I think is around $850. They sound good to me based on reading only and Im considering them myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back