Want to get a portable DAP but confused
Jul 7, 2016 at 9:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

narcispy

Head-Fier
Hello,

I currently only have an older ipod touch as my main portable DAP, mostly use it in the car but on occasion I go on trips and bring it with me.  I'm trying to get into something a little more future proof and hifi that can play some FLAC files from my computer.  I mainly use Tidal, Spotify, and FooBar with my FLAC files at home.  

Main features I am looking for are:

Decent battery life, slim would be nice so I could take it while at the gym.

The ability to support 2 SD cards, not a huge deal breaker though

Also the ability to connect to the car as well, either via USB or bluetooth would be nice (my headunit has both).  

Max price of $500 used (might be able to swing a little more)

Not too concerned with integrated DAC or Amp, will likely be buying those seperate, have my eye on the Chord Mojo.  

I'm just confused about all the manufacturers out there, Astell&Kern, Fiio, iBasso, Cowon, etc.  What makes one company better than another?  Do they have their own audio store or streaming services as well?  I'd like to get into this DSD audio but I'm not sure I've seen many places offering those besides HDTracks.

Jul 8, 2016 at 6:43 AM Post #2 of 15
Hi,

I was on the same boat as you before, and I think you'rr looking for more of a transport that you can carry your music in rather than a standalone DAP. Am I correct? Here are some notable players have 2 microSD slots:
FiiO X5 2nd Generation
Xduoo X3
iBasso DX80
Upcoming Fiio T3
Questyle QP1 (QP1R)
Older A&K
Pioneer XDP-100R
Onkyo DP-X1
SOUNDAWARE Esther
Cayin N5
Audio-Opus - Opus #1
However, some of them are out of the price range.

If it's not a huge deal breaker, I think Fiio X7 will definitely suffice your needs given that it is Android-based, so you can use all your Android apps including Tidal and Spotify.

Jul 8, 2016 at 6:53 AM Post #3 of 15
To help clarify your confusion a little bit, they all offer great products with good sound quality. I think it depends on your needs and headphones/IEMs you use to match them with. Some research into theit audio architectures including DAC and preamp modules will definitely help. Generally speaking, they don't have their own offline shops nor music streaming services. Most of the time, they are purchased from local dealers or online. I definitely recommend in going to one of the local shops and try out some DAPs if possible. Chatting with the owner while you try them is a bonus :wink:
In terms of DSD, it's relatively hard to get DSD files unless you have SACDs and a drive or a PS3 that can rip them. However, high-resolution files are getting more and more popular. Like you mentioned, HD-tracks or qobuz offer collections of high-resolution files. You can look into MQA files if your player supports it. But in my honest opinion, 24/192 or even 24/96 matches or surpasses DSD 2.8. DSDs aren't without their inherent problems either. More perceptible noise than PCMs and 25kHz+ noise. I hope it helps a little.

Jul 8, 2016 at 7:02 AM Post #4 of 15
Hello,

I currently only have an older ipod touch as my main portable DAP, mostly use it in the car but on occasion I go on trips and bring it with me.  I'm trying to get into something a little more future proof and hifi that can play some FLAC files from my computer.  I mainly use Tidal, Spotify, and FooBar with my FLAC files at home.  

Main features I am looking for are:

Decent battery life, slim would be nice so I could take it while at the gym.

The ability to support 2 SD cards, not a huge deal breaker though

Also the ability to connect to the car as well, either via USB or bluetooth would be nice (my headunit has both).  

Max price of $500 used (might be able to swing a little more)

Not too concerned with integrated DAC or Amp, will likely be buying those seperate, have my eye on the Chord Mojo.  

I'm just confused about all the manufacturers out there, Astell&Kern, Fiio, iBasso, Cowon, etc.  What makes one company better than another?  Do they have their own audio store or streaming services as well?  I'd like to get into this DSD audio but I'm not sure I've seen many places offering those besides HDTracks.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/air-pocket-sized-usb-soundcard-head-amp-preamp#/backers

Jul 8, 2016 at 7:19 AM Post #5 of 15
Hi,

I was on the same boat as you before, and I think you'rr looking for more of a transport that you can carry your music in rather than a standalone DAP. Am I correct? Here are some notable players have 2 microSD slots:
FiiO X5 2nd Generation
Xduoo X3
iBasso DX80
Upcoming Fiio T3
Questyle QP1 (QP1R)
Older A&K
Pioneer XDP-100R
Onkyo DP-X1
SOUNDAWARE Esther
Cayin N5
Audio-Opus - Opus #1
However, some of them are out of the price range.

If it's not a huge deal breaker, I think Fiio X7 will definitely suffice your needs given that it is Android-based, so you can use all your Android apps including Tidal and Spotify.

Yes this sounds more like what I'm looking for.  Very nice list though I think I've already looked at a few reviews of a couple of those.  The X7 looked right up my alley but I'll be eyeing out for a used one if possible.  I like the look of the Astell and Kern stuff but it's very pricey for what you get, unless their internal components are worth it.  Only other one I glanced at was the iBasso DX80 but there were various people in this forum complaining about very buggy software with that one.

To help clarify your confusion a little bit, they all offer great products with good sound quality. I think it depends on your needs and headphones/IEMs you use to match them with. Some research into theit audio architectures including DAC and preamp modules will definitely help. Generally speaking, they don't have their own offline shops nor music streaming services. Most of the time, they are purchased from local dealers or online. I definitely recommend in going to one of the local shops and try out some DAPs if possible. Chatting with the owner while you try them is a bonus
wink.gif

In terms of DSD, it's relatively hard to get DSD files unless you have SACDs and a drive or a PS3 that can rip them. However, high-resolution files are getting more and more popular. Like you mentioned, HD-tracks or qobuz offer collections of high-resolution files. You can look into MQS files if your player supports it. But in my honest opinion, 24/192 or even 24/96 matches or surpasses DSD 2.8. DSDs aren't without their inherent problems either. More perceptible noise than PCMs and 25kHz+ noise. I hope it helps a little.

Well right now I've got my Denon AH-D5000's and Audeze LCD2 which I use mostly.  Going to be looking into an IEM shortly just trying to decide what price range I can deal with.  I don't believe we have any local shops around where I live that sell any hifi audio equipment that I've ever seen.  
I do have a ps3 I could use to rip DSD's just need to get my hands on some SACD's.  Also can rip some music from my vinyl collection as well, either way.  

Jul 8, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #6 of 15
After watching more reviews I'm really liking the Pioneer XDP-100R more and more.  Looks like it has tons of features and is a really good value for the money compared to some other offerings.  I'm not even sure what the real difference is between that and the Onkyo DP-X1, the chips look to be the same, the design is slightly different.  Maybe the Onkyo has 2 SD slots instead of 1 on the pioneer?  Both look really nice and not as bulky as some of the other brands.  

Jul 8, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #7 of 15
Yes this sounds more like what I'm looking for.  Very nice list though I think I've already looked at a few reviews of a couple of those.  The X7 looked right up my alley but I'll be eyeing out for a used one if possible.  I like the look of the Astell and Kern stuff but it's very pricey for what you get, unless their internal components are worth it.  Only other one I glanced at was the iBasso DX80 but there were various people in this forum complaining about very buggy software with that one.

Well right now I've got my Denon AH-D5000's and Audeze LCD2 which I use mostly.  Going to be looking into an IEM shortly just trying to decide what price range I can deal with.  I don't believe we have any local shops around where I live that sell any hifi audio equipment that I've ever seen.  
I do have a ps3 I could use to rip DSD's just need to get my hands on some SACD's.  Also can rip some music from my vinyl collection as well, either way.  
It has to be a certain PS3 model from what I understand. As far as DAP's go I have heard some of what is listed the Fiio's are fine built very well. I had a X-1 a will back and it was a nice little player. The X-7 has a great interface. The amp modules which I have not heard could make it sound better. The Onkyo does all the streaming and what not that you want and sounds pretty good. The best sounding out of the list is by far the QP1R. That is what I'm using as it can run most headphones pretty easily but it will not do streaming or USB out to the radio it does have optical out and line out if your radio has a aux in 1/8" plug you can use it that way as I do in the car. If there was a dap that sounded as good and had the interface of the X-7 I would buy that in a heartbeat. Just my thoughts YMMV.

Jul 8, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #8 of 15
It has to be a certain PS3 model from what I understand. As far as DAP's go I have heard some of what is listed the Fiio's are fine built very well. I had a X-1 a will back and it was a nice little player. The X-7 has a great interface. The amp modules which I have not heard could make it sound better. The Onkyo does all the streaming and what not that you want and sounds pretty good. The best sounding out of the list is by far the QP1R. That is what I'm using as it can run most headphones pretty easily but it will not do streaming or USB out to the radio it does have optical out and line out if your radio has a aux in 1/8" plug you can use it that way as I do in the car. If there was a dap that sounded as good and had the interface of the X-7 I would buy that in a heartbeat. Just my thoughts YMMV.

Pretty sure it's the PS3 I have, launch model that has backwards compatablity and the card readers.  Thanks for your thoughts, that Q1PR looks pretty nice, although pricey.

Jul 8, 2016 at 9:40 PM Post #9 of 15
  Pretty sure it's the PS3 I have, launch model that has backwards compatablity and the card readers.  Thanks for your thoughts, that Q1PR looks pretty nice, although pricey.

Yes it is pricey but not like AK pricey and much better sound. IMHO i think the Onkyo sounded better than the X-7 . The X-7 has new amp modules now I didn't hear them so it might be better.

Jul 10, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #10 of 15
Now I'm trying to decide between these 3 DAPs.  I like each one for different reasons.  Leaning more towards the Onkyo for the price.  They are all around that 800-900 new price though.

Questyle QP1R 
Like -  Superior sound quality for the price
Dislike - no android so I can't load Tidal or Spotify on it

Onkyo DP-X1
Like - Dual DACs, android support for apps, 432gb max on MicroSD, Balanced Out
Dislike - battery life?

Astell&Kern AK100 II
Like - can load Tidal or Spotify
Dislike - seems very overpriced, only has 1 MicroSD slot (192GB max), Single DAC

Jul 10, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #11 of 15
  Now I'm trying to decide between these 3 DAPs.  I like each one for different reasons.  Leaning more towards the Onkyo for the price.  They are all around that 800-900 new price though.

Questyle QP1R 
Like -  Superior sound quality for the price
Dislike - no android so I can't load Tidal or Spotify on it

Onkyo DP-X1
Like - Dual DACs, android support for apps, 432gb max on MicroSD, Balanced Out
Dislike - battery life?

Astell&Kern AK100 II
Like - can load Tidal or Spotify
Dislike - seems very overpriced, only has 1 MicroSD slot (192GB max), Single DAC

Not a AK fan . I did like the Onkyo fairly well. Since you want Streaming i think it might be your best bet as far as sound goes.Non balanced would give better battery life than balanced would but do know about it's battery life though. I get about 8 hrs on the QP1R on high gain but like you said no Streaming.

Jul 10, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #12 of 15
  Not a AK fan . I did like the Onkyo fairly well. Since you want Streaming i think it might be your best bet as far as sound goes.Non balanced would give better battery life than balanced would but do know about it's battery life though. I get about 8 hrs on the QP1R on high gain but like you said no Streaming.

True.  Guess I'll shoot for that.  I'd try it out balanced sometime with my LCD2's at home but yes in an everyday use I would go for unbalanced.

Jul 20, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #14 of 15

Users who are viewing this thread

Back