Want to get a higher capacity DAP. Difficulty: Ogg compatible
Oct 17, 2007 at 3:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Inkmo

1000+ Head-Fier
I've had it in my head lately that I finally want to take the plunge and get a DAP big enough to hold all my music. Something at least 60 or 80 gigs if I can find it. I was in Best Buy the other day and was really shocked to see how cheap iPods have gotten lately. What all has changed since the last time I was on headfi (it's been a few months)?

Anyways, I was pretty excited seeing how cheap the new iPod was, but I still don't know if I'm down for it because it can't play ogg (a lot of my music is enconded in ogg) and I don't like that it's not UMS compatible.

The last time I went big mp3 player window shopping I had my heart set on the iAudio x5l, but those seem like they're hard to come by and still really expensive for what they are.... I really like my U2 save for the fact that it only holds a gig.

Anyways, are there any other good new, or old, players floating around out there today? I've been looking around on amazon but haven't seen much that I'm getting too excited about and can conceivably afford. I know these 'help me pick a thing' threads are the bane of our forum, but I promise I've been looking!

Oct 18, 2007 at 3:31 AM Post #2 of 7
How about 5.5G 80gb rockboxed ipod, it should do everything you mentioned in your post. Also the hard drive is possible to replace with 120gb one if 80gb isn't enough..

Oct 18, 2007 at 4:08 AM Post #3 of 7
that is the exact thing I was thinking earlier today. I was going through Rockbox's website to see what all they support and was comparing those.

Refurbed 5.5s start at 240 dollars I think, which is definitely not bad.

Oct 18, 2007 at 4:43 AM Post #5 of 7
Oct 18, 2007 at 5:04 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Caribou679 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought a pristine 5gen 30 gb video ipod for $115. With the new classic , alot of 5 and 5.5 gen on FS forum.

Cool. iPod trickledown in play

What do you think of it compared to your x5?

Also guys, I was looking but couldn't find an answer on Rockbox's website. Would a rockboxed iPod be UMS compatible, or will I have to use iTunes?

Oct 18, 2007 at 5:07 AM Post #7 of 7
No, you don't need to use itunes, but it is posibble too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back