want to get a bit more out of casual music listening.
Mar 23, 2024 at 12:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

lofiloki

New Head-Fier
i've been thinking about changing things up for casual listening of music while on my pc. currently I have my ifi zen headphone amp connected to my ssl 2+ audio interface. this is what I normally use when I am making music and I run a couple of pairs of headphones through this to mix music. it's been great for listening for detail and has a very clean analytical sound. lately though I have been wondering about how to have my music setup for more fun and something a bit more exciting or relaxed. so I am thinking about what I could change for this setup so it sounds a bit different? it's great to have a super clinical sound but sometimes I just want something a little less work focused. interested in expanding into basic audiophile territory for casual listening and just relaxing, plus hearing the music in a different way.

so I was wondering where to start? should I start at the source and find another dac? the ssl is an interface primarily designed for budget musicians to help write and create/mix music. so the focus on it's sound is transparency and neutrality, I have it's monitor output routed into the ifi as I read online that most interfaces rarely put as much effort into the headphone section as the outputs for monitors. after doing a bit of research I read some differing opinions, some people saying the dac doesn't matter while some people saying it does. all I know is that the sound I get fed into the amp then onto the headphones sounds like a very clinincal analytical experience which to me sounds like it could be boosted by the amp. the amp is nice and neutral sounding from what I can tell.

should I try another amp for casual listening? the ifi has been great to use for making music and it's given me enough gain I think to really push what I need to hear when working. I also do think it's helping to open up the headphones a bit more by giving them a bit more juice? I did notice a difference when bypassing the amp. things did open up a bit when used with the ifi zen. but I was left wondering if I could get more out of the headphones and maybe I was missing something. especially when people described their listening experience using the same headphones.

could I pick up a more expensive pair of headphones for casual use? I have been using the akg k702 and beyerdynamic dt770 pro 80 ohms. I picked the akg first mostly as they had great stereo use and really helped me to transfer my mixes across to the headphones from monitors. placing things in the mix was a piece of cake. the low end was a bit of a problem which is why I complimented them with the 770's. these two headphones are mostly used as tools for working. and when switching to just casual listening I find I don't get an experience which really goes beyond what I hear when I am working. I am sort of wondering about headphones in the £300-500 as both of these headphones were only a smidgen over £100. the thing with the ifi is that it does have balanced connections and I have considered balanced headphones to really push more out of what I have?

where do you think I should start?

Mar 23, 2024 at 2:22 PM Post #2 of 8
I've had both, and if you want a more fun upgrade, the Beyerdynamic DT900 Pro X is excellent, and doesn't need a powerful amp or balanced system. I'm on the waiting list for the new DT770 Pro X which I'm certain is going to be excellent also. The DT700 Pro X was too bland to the point of boring like the DT1770. If you want fun, the DT900 Pro X, or to keep the bass extension you have in an upgrade, would preorder the DT700 Pro X. The Hifiman HE5xx is what I'm currently listening to and it really great since on eBay you can usually steal a pair near half retail or close to $100. The Sennheiser HD700 is the most comfortable headphone ever made, but the He5xx I think are the second most comfortable. The Sennheiser HD600 is another you can't go wrong with.

Mar 24, 2024 at 6:51 AM Post #3 of 8
thanks, that's a great idea for upgrading my existing headphones. I could probably up my work headphones with that setup. I have heard the name hifiman a lot in my research, they seem to come up a fair amount when looking for audiophile type headphones. I saw a lot of mentions of sundara but was unsure how that would compare to the beyerdynamics? sennheiser are also a consideration as I have had some of their headphones before and often appreciated the sound signature just from a listening perspective.

do you think headphones should be my first move rather than looking at more amps or dac's? I should point out I am looking to buy additional gear to switch to when not working as I will still need the stuff I have for work purposes. unless it's an upgrade. :)

Mar 24, 2024 at 12:13 PM Post #4 of 8
On Head-fi, it's usually recommended, for a given audio budget, to spend the biggest chuck on headphones, the amplifier gets a decent chuck of the budget, and the DAC gets whatever is leftover in the budget.
The Drop (Massdrop)/Hifiman HD5XX headphones are a great bargin, I'm wearing mine right now :)
I liked them enough to buy my nephews a pair.
You might consider getting a pair of Sony MDR-V6 headphones (lots of used ones on eBay), for audio production (creating, mixing, editing, etc)
They have a boring (un-biased) sound, which to me is good for analyzing audio. (and use the HD5XX for audio enjoyment)

Mar 24, 2024 at 1:20 PM Post #5 of 8
thanks, that helps me to prioritize :)

I will look into those hifiman ones and put it on the list for ones to try and find in a store to audition. irrc I heard of the v1 as being the upgrade to the old classic mdr-7506? is the v6 similar in some ways?
yes correct, that's how I am thinking of doing things going forward. have some headphones for work and maybe separate setup/headphones for listening enjoyment. :)

Mar 24, 2024 at 3:00 PM Post #6 of 8
The MDR-V6 was the ancestor of the MDR-7506. Was the V6 better? I can't say, but it might just be nostalgia or OG boasting. You can find them used but often with crumbling earpads. Like the MDR-7506, they are hardwired -- not a replaceable cable.

I have the MDR-7506 and they have a clamping force that gets uncomfortable for me. They don't seem that neutral to me -- midrange is forward.

If you can go up to around $350 on the budget, the ATH-R70X are just wonderful for all-day listening: lightweight, not at all clampy, broad soundstage (definitely better than MDR-7506), natural timbre and neutral sound. But they'll do whatever fun stuff you prefer with EQ -- they claim bass extension down to 5Hz.

They do need an amp but your iFi Zen should run them. The Zen also looks like it will pump up the bass for a more fun sound -- though I think they have plenty of bass un-EQ'd.

They were designed to be a one-upmanship rival to the Sennheisers everyone tends to recommend.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/6/17535412/audio-technica-r70x-review-professional-headphones

I don't know what effect Brexit has had, but Thomann.de usually has the best prices for ATH-R70X in Europe, with a 30-day return policy (minus shipping).

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2024 at 4:25 PM Post #7 of 8
thanks, that helps me to prioritize :)

I will look into those hifiman ones and put it on the list for ones to try and find in a store to audition. irrc I heard of the v1 as being the upgrade to the old classic mdr-7506? is the v6 similar in some ways?
yes correct, that's how I am thinking of doing things going forward. have some headphones for work and maybe separate setup/headphones for listening enjoyment. :)
I've heard that the MDR-7506 is just slightly more brighter, than the MDR-V6.
If you do buy a used MDR-V6, expect to spend an extra $10 for new (generic) ear pads.
In the past 10 years, I've bought over 60 headphones (about half are lower costing "bargain" China stuff) and I'm fine with currently using my HD5XX.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back