Want to enter IEM domain, budget 700€, in desperate need for advice
Dec 1, 2015 at 9:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Hotwire

New Head-Fier
I want to enter the UIEM/CIEM space for the first time. Price is set at 700€ maximum. I don't really know what fits me. I've done tons and tons of reading reviews and recommendations, but the more I read, the less I know which IEM would suit me. I don't even know if what I'm looking for, is possible in this price range. I'm not implying that it isn't possible, but that I've got no point of reference to make a proper educated guess with.

Here's what I'm after for:
  1. Portability and convenience are important, so my goal is to have only one good set for everything on a daily basis.
  2. As said; price is set at 700€ maximum.
  3. It'll be used for any genre that exists.
  4. It'll also be used for home theatre use.
  5. The set doesn't have to perform exceptional under every circumstance, but I do want it to at least perform well in almost everything.
  6. Treble, mids, bass -- it all has to be there and feel alive, gently separated from each other, with neutrality or near neutrality.
  7. Staging is preferred to be good.
  8. Has to be able to be driven easily from a phone (Moto G currently, possibly Galaxy S7 in near future with its rumored high-end DAC), and wouldn't mind option for scaling with better gear later on.

I'm currently aiming for the InEar Stagediver 4. From what I've read, I'm under the impression that it's an all-rounder in genres, with a moderate V-shape, high in detail across the spectrum, and a good soundstage (at least horizontally, though decent in depth, not sure vertically). The only matters that might be of concern from what I read are: can somewhat lack speed in EDM, sibilance in the upper mids, and the highs can border on fatiguing at times.

My questions are; if you've got experience with the SD4, do you think it would meet my requirements? Or do you know something better in this price range? If there's something better, I don't care if it's a universal or a custom, I'm just looking for the best sound for my money in an IEM package.

Dec 1, 2015 at 10:41 PM Post #2 of 7
I would check out the Westone W40.

http://www.headphone.com/collections/headphones/products/westone-w40

Great sound, easy to drive, and made by folks that know how to make IEMs.

Here is a review:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/732203/westone-w40-short-review-includes-pictures

Dec 2, 2015 at 10:33 PM Post #5 of 7
Noble N6 or N4C would be on my shortlist (universal and custom, respectively). Lovely brand and support team, great reviews, and I love my older model HA 3.ai from the Wizard :).

Dec 3, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #6 of 7
The Noble N6 is an awesome sounding IEM. Out all of the meets I have seen Noble at the N6 appears to stun people more than the 10.

Dec 7, 2015 at 2:23 AM Post #7 of 7
I've looked at the Nobles, and they're not an option. From what I could see is that they've got no official business in the EU (besides 1 shop in the UK offering hearing aids). I'm currently eyeing the Earsonic Velvet (in combination with the Chord Mojo). From what I heard it's a great all-rounder with also great soundstage and so on. It's only 60€ more expensive than the W40s, but from reviews the Velvet beats the W40 in every category regarding SQ.

If anyone has got an other pair on their mind -- which is officially available in the EU, and below the 700€ cap -- that beats the Velvet; I'm all ears. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back