Want to downgrade from a Xonar Stx , any reccomendations ?
Nov 19, 2013 at 5:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

mrlimbo

Head-Fier

Hi , after many months with the stx , im still not happy with it , even after upgrading opamps , theres no doubting its very high music reproduction , but it just doesnt suit my ears , i do find myself listening to music and being astonished at the quality/reproduction but im not tapping my toes and being involved with the music ? even though its feeding a tube amp , i think its just to good/clinical for my old ears ,  !

So im going to downgrade , before this card i had the dgx , which i found more musical and involving , but fail a bit short on the reproduction side plus some minor background noise.

Ive been considering the following 

Asus Xonar U7

Asus Xonar DX

Asus Xonar DS

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD USB 

Should i consider anything else ?

Your help and knowledge would be great , many thanks

Nov 19, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #3 of 13

Thanks , but thats not really an option , i love my 600's and they havent changed , but the sound card has :wink:

Nov 19, 2013 at 12:27 PM Post #4 of 13
For some reason and God forgive me , im edging towards the "Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD USB"  any experience with this one ?

Nov 22, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #5 of 13
Ok is there a sound card or Dac that isn't harsh and bright ????????????

Nov 22, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #6 of 13
  Hi , after many months with the STX , I'm still not happy with it , even after upgrading op-amps , there's no doubting its very high music reproduction , but it just doesn't suit my ears , i do find myself listening to music and being astonished at the quality/reproduction but I'm not tapping my toes and being involved with the music ? even though its feeding a tube amp , i think its just to good/clinical for my old ears ,  !
So I'm going to downgrade , before this card i had the DGX , which i found more musical and involving , but fail a bit short on the reproduction side plus some minor background noise.
Ive been considering the following 
Asus Xonar U7
Asus Xonar DX
Asus Xonar DS
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD USB 

What headphones are you using?

Not sure if it's going to give you the sound you want, but the Xonar DX seems like the best choice.
You can plug your tube amplifier straight into the DX's Front/headphone output jack.

Nov 22, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #7 of 13

Thanks , im using Senn HD 600 phones , yes the Dx is high on the list , read good things about it , but waiting to see if i can find an external solution first !!

Nov 23, 2013 at 4:47 PM Post #8 of 13
Get a DAC with a Wolfson chip in it? They are more musical and warmer by all accounts, or at least they are used in gear that are tuned towards those aforementioned qualities . I've heard the STX and it is a little bright, but extremely good - so I know what you're saying. I'm surprised that you can't sweeten the sound to your taste by swapping out the tubes on your amp though.

Nov 23, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #9 of 13

Many thanks , will look into that , are there any known dacs with that chip ? , yes the stx is fantastic , but i think its just too good for my ears , to clear and bright , after a few songs i get fatigue , something that didnt happen before the stx , i have tried quite a few tubes to be honest they dont alter the sound that much , it is a hybrid tube amp after all , opamps have more of an effect , but i still cant get rid of the fatique , really getting desparate to get back to toe tapping fatigue free listening , even considering going back to the lowly dgx !!!

Nov 23, 2013 at 8:05 PM Post #10 of 13
Wolfson dacs are everywhere - hugely popular in loads of consumer sources. The Wolfson Audio-GD 15.32 is a bit more musical - maybe try that. Keep your tube amp and see how it goes after that.

Nov 25, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #12 of 13

LOL i dont call MUSES01 x 2 - LME49990 x 1 as low quality/bad OPAMPs  :))  theres nothing wrong with it it sounds fantastic , but my ears dont like it on some types of music , the problem is my ears not the card and i cant upgrade them , wish i could after 50 years of use LOL

Dec 16, 2013 at 6:05 PM Post #13 of 13
Im now auditioning a DSX , im very surprised how good this cheap card is , its alot warmer than the STX , and not fatiguing at all , quite like it , but i do miss the sparkle/brilliance/astonishment of the sound of  the STX , im hoping to get a DX next to try ......... and then maybe a D2/X !!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back