want to buy over ear headphones, around 300$. help? :)
Oct 24, 2012 at 2:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

jordan13

New Head-Fier
i want to buy headphones for using at home and when i travel, car rides and stuff...
i listen to pop and rock music
what are the best choices for over ear headphones?
i heared the fanny wang 3000 that sounded nice? what do you think of them, how are they?

thx for the help! :)

Oct 24, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #2 of 30
What kind of sound are you looking for? Do you want something that concentrates on bass, treble, highs? Or do you want something neutral where everything sounds equal? also what are you using for your music playing device? Would you mind using a amp/dac? That would open up your options for headphones. 

Also for over ears you have closed and open back headphones. Open lets outside noise in and the music leak out, they do however usually have better soundstage and many mid fi headphones are open and sound amazing. Closed back would be headphones that isolate and you cant hear things outside the headphones and the music does not leak. 

My suggestions without knowing these would be:
DT 770 80 ohm + e11 amp or e17 amp/dac
Mad Dog modded t50rp + e11 amp or e17 amp/dac

Oct 24, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #3 of 30
i think closed would be better
im using an ipod touch, and i think i would rather not have an amp...
i like the sound of bass but i also enjoy a good sound quality, i want to have good bass but not to take over like in those beats. bass but not too much :)
what do you think about those fanny wang 3000? i saw them on 200$ instead of 300 and i dont know if they worth it. i tried my friends fanny wang and it sounded nice

Oct 25, 2012 at 7:11 PM Post #6 of 30
Quote:
i think closed would be better
im using an ipod touch, and i think i would rather not have an amp...
i like the sound of bass but i also enjoy a good sound quality, i want to have good bass but not to take over like in those beats. bass but not too much :)
what do you think about those fanny wang 3000? i saw them on 200$ instead of 300 and i dont know if they worth it. i tried my friends fanny wang and it sounded nice

If you love those fanny wang cans then go for it. But if you wanna a piece of advice here, I can guarantee you no one, I mean NO ONE would recommend them.

Oct 25, 2012 at 8:06 PM Post #7 of 30
Thing about it is that they aren't good cans and will find better elsewhere; he hasen't heard high quality audio im guessing.

Oct 25, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #8 of 30
I never trust cans like monster beats, skullcandy etc. those are more like a eye attracting cans rather than sound attracting. anyone tells you those cans have nice sound. they might just like their wired boom boom boom bass...

Oct 25, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #9 of 30
Find a guitar center and see if you can listen to some of their items?  Finding a really low impedence, closed, over ear will really limit your options.  You'll find most expensive headphones are higher impedence so harder to drive with portable devices.  With all that said, if you can get over the fact of them being open headphones instead of closed, I'd recommend a beyerdynamic.  You can get that in a 32ohm.

Oct 25, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #12 of 30
first of all thx for the replies!
i dont know exactly what do you mean by natural or bass, i want to have good bass but just not to take over too much...
remember that my budget is about 300$, the things you said are really the best options for this amount?
i dont care too much about how they look, just not too wierd and ugly :wink:

Oct 26, 2012 at 7:59 AM Post #13 of 30
I think the DT 770 32 ohms would be nice if you can find them. For 300 dollars its hard to suggest something that does not need an amp IMO. There are a few like say the first one I mentioned, the  MDR-R1s by sony do look nice, and maybe if you can find them for 300 the Momentums. If you want to wait I would personally get the v moda m100s coming out. I know I have my money set aside!

Oct 26, 2012 at 9:29 AM Post #14 of 30
how much do they cost? the m100
and i dont get it, how do the more expensive headphones need amps? like all the users of this forum use heaqdphones with amps?
and is it convenient to travel with an amp? i havent seen one yet

Oct 26, 2012 at 10:22 AM Post #15 of 30
I recommend the Sennheiser HD25's.  From what I remember, they handled rock and pop very well.  Nice punchy bass with good treble extension and soso mids.  They can be had for around $200 bucks and are very light, portable, and durable.

The M100's are $300 for pre-order but to me they don't handle rock as well as I would like them too.  The treble are too tame for certain songs which wasn't really the case for the HD25's.  This means to me that the guitar plucks and strums aren't realistic nor do they offer the amount of sparkle that really makes the genre.  However, the M100's are amazing at pop music or any music that uses samples or synthetic sounds.  I can't recommend them enough if you listen to a lot of hip-hop, electronica, or pop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back