Want to buy new turntable, looking at the Rega-P1
Apr 15, 2013 at 12:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Sir Tmotts III

Head-Fier
I plan to upgrade from my Dual 1237 TT, My uncle (guy got me into "audiophiling") said the best thing I could buy with $400 would be the Rega-P1. Is their a better option?

Apr 15, 2013 at 3:02 PM Post #2 of 17
As good as the Rega is, I would cast a far wider net. Having owned and played with literally hundreds of different turntables over several decades I found out that room furnishing, room size, floor construction, and pocket depth are all factors to be considered. Some belt drive turntables are so finely balanced, they are just a beat away from breaking out into feedback and howling in a small room with wooden floor. That same TT in a small but well furnished room and concrete floor can be a real performer. The P1 springs to mind of a TT that falls in that category.

Apr 16, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #3 of 17
I'm also currently looking into the Rega RP1, due to geographic limitations, the RP1 is probably the only choise i have beside the cheap USB tables and entry level Stantons. I tried to track down a good condition Sl 1200 but they go for almost double as the Rega in my area, and the used market is very limited here, so i guess i don't have a wider net to cast.

Anyone with a experience with the Rega can tell me if it's a good "first-almost-hifi" table?

Apr 16, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:
I'm also currently looking into the Rega RP1, due to geographic limitations, the RP1 is probably the only choise i have beside the cheap USB tables and entry level Stantons.

Burn the money or give it to charity, but avoid those USB tables and el cheapo offerings like the plague. The arms on those things were not designed for high quality reproduction and minimum wear and tear placed on your records. Under those circumstances the RP1 would seem an absolute bargain. And you won't have problems passing it on if you decide to move up the vinyl ladder at a later stage.

Apr 16, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #5 of 17
Thank you, Baxide. I'm pretty set on the RP1, i'm trying to look past the steep price tag since i'm in Brazil, and the taxes on imported products are insane.

The RP1 is going for R$ 1980,00 (reais), that's about $ 1000, more than double the retail price, and i can't buy from online retailers nor have any friends living overseas.

It's a sad hobby to have if you live here.

Apr 17, 2013 at 2:56 AM Post #6 of 17
Go for the Rega. I almost bought an RP1 before I found an amazing deal on a P2 with an Ortofon 2M Blue. The RP1 blew my old Thorens TD-145 out of the water, and is somehow less sensitive to footfalls.

As for acoustic feedback, grab a 4-pack of Sorbothane hemispheres, and stick them between two 1"-thick sheets of MDF. Boom! Isolation platform 
smily_headphones1.gif
 Works surprisingly well, actually. A wall shelf is also a good option.

Apr 25, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #8 of 17
Basically the same thing. Should work fine 
size]

Apr 26, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #9 of 17
The RP1 is a fine table. A record store I like has one you can use to demo used records and I haven't discovered any problems with it. 

That being set I'm working on saving up a turntable budget of $400 myself and I'm attracted to the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon. No knock against the Rega but the Carbon has some neater frills like the carbon fiber tonearm and stock Ortofon 2m Red cartridge. 

Dec 16, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #10 of 17
Wondering what OP decided on.  Im in the same boat.  Upgrading my hand-me-down Hitachi HT-21 budget deck.

Pretty set on a new (or only slightly used) turntable in the $300-400 range, even though I have a Marantz 1060 vintage amp.

1. Rega RP 1 - $445 on amazon (best price?)
2. Pro-Ject Debut Carbon - $399 on amazon
3. Music Hall MMF 2.2 - $449 on amazon

I know there is a ton of info out there on these TT's, and boy have I read it...but more opinions are always welcome.  Too many choices!

Dec 17, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #11 of 17
Wondering what OP decided on.  Im in the same boat.  Upgrading my hand-me-down Hitachi HT-21 budget deck.

Pretty set on a new (or only slightly used) turntable in the $300-400 range, even though I have a Marantz 1060 vintage amp.

1. Rega RP 1 - $445 on amazon (best price?)
2. Pro-Ject Debut Carbon - $399 on amazon
3. Music Hall MMF 2.2 - $449 on amazon

I know there is a ton of info out there on these TT's, and boy have I read it...but more opinions are always welcome.  Too many choices!

I'd buy the Rega without a second thought.

Dec 17, 2013 at 6:56 PM Post #13 of 17
Is there more to this statement than the fact that the rega is a solid performer?

No, it's what counts in analog.

I'm also deciding between the p1 and the debut carbon and have been leaning toward the latter.

May I ask why?

Edit: If this were me, I'd go straight to Audiogon and score a used P25 for ~$600.

Dec 18, 2013 at 2:47 AM Post #14 of 17
No, it's what counts in analog.
May I ask why?

Edit: If this were me, I'd go straight to Audiogon and score a used P25 for ~$600.

While I agree that's what counts, I would consider the debut carbon as a solid performer as well.  I suppose to clarify my question, I was asking whether you were just saying that in a you can't go wrong with it as opposed to a, it is better than the pro-ject.  This is a genuine question as to why you would hold the rega in higher regard than the pro-ject. 

To me, I prefer the carbon tone arm and red cartridge.  Add a cheaper price to those preferences and it seems like the way I want to go.

I'll take a look at used P25s, but I think it's more than I want to spend given that I need to replace the terrible phono pre amp I have as well.

Dec 18, 2013 at 8:21 AM Post #15 of 17
While I agree that's what counts, I would consider the debut carbon as a solid performer as well.  I suppose to clarify my question, I was asking whether you were just saying that in a you can't go wrong with it as opposed to a, it is better than the pro-ject.  This is a genuine question as to why you would hold the rega in higher regard than the pro-ject. 

The Rega is more articulate, more clear, much more dynamic....

To me, I prefer the carbon tone arm and red cartridge.  Add a cheaper price to those preferences and it seems like the way I want to go.

If the above is important to you, buy the carbon. I'd be lying if I didn't say that choosing analog gear based on its appearance can be a mistake.

I'll take a look at used P25s, but I think it's more than I want to spend given that I need to replace the terrible phono pre amp I have as well.

I suggested a used P25, because it's just as easy to setup, it's almost in your budget, and its sound quality is much improved over the other options. No matter which 'table you choose, with analog, you're always best off starting with the front end. Always. The information in the grooves will not be heard no matter what gear lies down the line, if it's not extracted to begin with. Yes, the same thing can be said about DACs. Here we're dealing with a completely different order of magnitude.

In terms of phono stages, which are you considering?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back