Want to buy Creek OBH 21SE with HD600
Dec 26, 2005 at 4:57 PM Post #31 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheReds
reviving this because i just got a OBH-21SE as a christmas present from my dad. He got it for $400, do you guys still consider is overpriced? It will be driving my Grado HF-1's, is it a good match?? I know i am the final judge on this, but just wondering if anyone has already had experience.

my dad is cool with returning this, so i just need advice on if i should pocket the money for something else....

thanks

Did you check the listed price? I got an offer for USD 315 new but thats probably because the dealer wanted to get rid of it. Anyway, with my HD 595, I found the combination overly warm but has more detail then the stock XCan. However the XCan was not burned in and the Creek OBH21 SE is.

Keep us updated on the match with HF-1
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 26, 2005 at 6:30 PM Post #32 of 43
I've heard HF-1 paired up with OBH21. It actually sounded pretty good afer all the negative comments I had read about it. Maybe that's the reason why it sounded good.
smily_headphones1.gif

It didn't match RP5.1 by any terms but it didn't suck either. Its sound was somewhat flat after RP5.1 and lacking energy. I really don't remember much more because it has been a while since I heard it.

Dec 26, 2005 at 8:08 PM Post #33 of 43
Well, i have tested it out, and it sounds good! However this is from a high school student who is driving it with an Audigy 2 ZS and has never heard another headphone amp before. However, I can hear a lot more detail, highs and mids have more clarity (although highs are sorta harsh...time for burn in), and the bass seems not as bloated, just tight and precise.

However, i will be returning this. After some intense pondering I have come to the conclusion that it would be more beneficial to ugrade my system starting at the source. So i plan to return this, pocket the $, and save up towards an Apogee Mini Dac. Then from there i would get an amp.

This amp though to my ears is very good, and thats just withing 5 hours! i plan to let it burn all today then will listen again tonight some more.

Cheers
eggosmile.gif

Dec 26, 2005 at 11:56 PM Post #34 of 43
I don't know anything about the Creek other than that it's not as well reviewed here or in major audiophile publications as the X-Can 3.

If you get the X-Can, it can be upgraded to a whole new level with a dedicated PSU, powerful caps, and better tubes. Its circuit design is excellent and almost unbeatable for $400.

Dec 26, 2005 at 11:59 PM Post #35 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheReds
So i plan to return this, pocket the $, and save up towards an Apogee Mini Dac. Then from there i would get an amp.

Good idea.

Remember that the Mini-DAC doesn't have RCA-out, so most low-to-mid-priced amps won't connect directly with RCA jacks. The Apogee reportedly has an excellent headphone output anyway, so any sub $400 amp might not be a big improvement.

Dec 27, 2005 at 12:17 AM Post #36 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by fredrain
I just got my HD600, and would like to buy a Amp. One of my friend suggest Creek OBH 21SE, i tried it. Sounds good comparing with Rega Ear.

The price they offer me for Creek is us$500. That's about my budget.

But i've seen a couple of people saying that it is not as good as X-can V3. is that true? i'm a little bit lost.

I'm pretty sure your $500 would be much, much better spent on a Corda Aria:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=143768
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=153043

Dec 27, 2005 at 3:17 AM Post #37 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by applebook
Good idea.

Remember that the Mini-DAC doesn't have RCA-out, so most low-to-mid-priced amps won't connect directly with RCA jacks. The Apogee reportedly has an excellent headphone output anyway, so any sub $400 amp might not be a big improvement.

ya because the mini DAC has suposedly a very good headphone amp (especially with grados) the only type of amb as the next upgrade would be balanced!
very_evil_smiley.gif
. Glad someone agrees with my logic
tongue.gif

good times
eggosmile.gif

Feb 18, 2006 at 3:13 AM Post #38 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob80b
Headfi.org is not God and there are a lot of satisfied Creek users out there.

Finally! Someone said it. head-fi is not the be-all-end-all. Trust your ears.I really like the sound of Creek amps. I found myself liking the sound of an OBH-11 over a Grado RA-1. I found the sound of the Grado amp to be similiar to the sound of a Grado phone, bright and seemingly lacking in "weight" and "presence." In comparison, I found the Creek to have a more balanced and detailed sound, with a little more "oomph" on the bottom end. I liked the sound of it better using both HD-595's and SR225/325i.

Feb 18, 2006 at 4:17 AM Post #39 of 43
Well this is the beauty of this hobby: everyone has totally different ears.
Personally I was without amp for a few weeks and a friend lent me a Creek obh11.

I found the all the headphones I had at the moment (Senn HD25, Beyer 770, Sensa and AT W5000) sounded much worse with it than straight out of my Iriver.

So after a few days I gave it back to my friend and preferred to go unamped for a while.

Feb 18, 2006 at 8:19 PM Post #40 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by fredrain
I just got my HD600, and would like to buy a Amp. One of my friend suggest Creek OBH 21SE, i tried it. Sounds good comparing with Rega Ear.

How did you compare the Creek vs. the Rega? Did you use the same digital source? Same cabling? Same music? Was the Rega Ear burnt in? How long did you spend comparing the amps?

A quick search will show you most head-fiers who have made such a comparison favor the Rega Ear over the Creeks; however, not many have auditioned the OBH 21 SE specifically.

Feb 20, 2006 at 2:46 PM Post #41 of 43
....it is true you gotta trust your own ears with any audio purchase, but he DID ask for recommendations. I've never owned the OBH-21SE, but I did own the OBH-11SE, and I do own an X-CAN v3. Unless the 21SE is light years beyond the 11SE, I'd go with the X-CAN v3. X-CAN's love the Sennheisers, and as has been noted, you get the advantage of upgradeitis
orphsmile.gif

Feb 21, 2006 at 4:04 AM Post #43 of 43
Here's an idea:

For all those who are speculating on the performance of the OBH21SE, why not find out what it really sounds like?

I'm looking to sell mine (very lightly used in office system), complete with the massive OBH2 power supply. I bet you could beat me down to a really good price.

Chad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back