Want to buy a tube tester, need a little help...
Dec 8, 2006 at 1:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Headphoneus Supremus
I am looking to buy a tube tester off ebay. I originally bought one but the seller left the payment unclaimed and dropped off the face of the earth, so I got my money back on that one. I have no idea what to look for in a tester, or what brands to be on the lookout for, etc...

If possible I want something better than emissions tester. It should be able to test the "modern" tubes that we use now in our audio equipment.

I can not spend more than $100 including shipping.

Can anybody give me any pointers, or preferably, point me to some good deals on ebay (I would prefer buy it now auctions)?

Dec 8, 2006 at 12:41 PM Post #2 of 5
I strongly suggest you check out the tubes/tubes diy of audioasylum and tubes section of diyaudio as people there would be more knowledgeable when it comes to tubes.

Dec 8, 2006 at 1:02 PM Post #3 of 5
I don't know if you can get a working transconductance tester for < $100.

You used to be able to get a working TV-7D/U for cheap but those days are long gone. I sold a very beat up but working TV-7 as-is on eBay and it went for $400.00. Because of all the switching in a compact box, TV-7 testers aren't that easy to repair. They also take a lot of abuse in the military. I'd stay clear of one that isn't shown to be working.

If you have some parts and a voltmeter, you can build up something to test a few common tubes. If you are just building headphone amplifiers you don't need the wide range of tube types found on TV-7.

You can also test them in you amplifier.

Fixing old radios? Just swap tubes. Its faster then setting up a tester. That's why I sold my TV-7D/U.

Right now on eBay there is this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Early-Military-V...QQcmdZViewItem
It still has the socket savers. That's a good sign. The locktal socket looks worn. That is a problem only if you need to test oddballs like a 7N7.

I'd avoid this next one. As is and it doesn't say if it works. When I sold mine, I included photos of it testing tubes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/TV-7-D-U-DU-Tube...QQcmdZViewItem

Dec 8, 2006 at 3:07 PM Post #5 of 5
If there's a hamfest coming up in your area, you might want to give that a try. Hams are usually happy that their old equipment gets used and aren't as tied into the price-gouging eBay scene, so you might be able to get a tester for a price that's closer to what it's really worth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back