Want to buy a PCI/PCI-E sound card for stereo usage, not headphones.
Jun 12, 2012 at 3:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

RubberBootz

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

All my listening to music/games and usage of DAWs has got me wanting to put a little money towards my hobby/interests - so I'm after a quality sound card and I want your input!! :)

Thing is, I'm not going to be using headphones because I cannot afford one's I'd be happy with. So I'm not sure if something like the ASUS Xonar Essence (as well-priced as it is) is going to be worth it for me? ie: head phone amp, swapable OHMs

I'm happy with not wanting to change out amp/speakers, forget any Brand/Make relevance but.. basically, not worth the mention... So that would mean my setup is going to be dual-stereo (2left, 2right) and I need something suitable to that configuration as opposed to headphones.

Usually playing .FLAC files or something up there.

EDIT: I should also note I have a Asus Crosshair V Formula which has decent on-board sound, although I'm not currently using the Optical S/PDIF Out.. would I be better just saving my dosh and somehow using that output???

Cheers,
RBz.

Jun 12, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
Are u on passive speakers? If so consider used coax/optical AVR on the cheap off Craiglist?

Yep, Passive speakers, there just half-decent oldies. Do you reckon look for a suitable sound card or get what gains I can from using the spdif? Craiglist may be the go i think considering I'm not using headphones..

Jun 12, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
All my listening to music/games and usage of DAWs has got me wanting to put a little money towards my hobby/interests - so I'm after a quality sound card and I want your input!! :)
Thing is, I'm not going to be using headphones because I cannot afford one's I'd be happy with. So I'm not sure if something like the ASUS Xonar Essence (as well-priced as it is) is going to be worth it for me? ie: head phone amp, swapable OHMs
I'm happy with not wanting to change out amp/speakers, forget any Brand/Make relevance but.. basically, not worth the mention... So that would mean my setup is going to be dual-stereo (2left, 2right) and I need something suitable to that configuration as opposed to headphones.
Usually playing .FLAC files or something up there.
EDIT: I should also note I have a Asus Crosshair V Formula which has decent on-board sound, although I'm not currently using the Optical S/PDIF Out.. would I be better just saving my dosh and somehow using that output???

Asus Xonar DX or D1, should find some used ones for $55 on eBay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back