Want to buy a new pair of headphones (300$), need suggestions
Jul 21, 2017 at 11:27 PM Post #16 of 17
I suppose I am unconvinced, but I don't doubt that some people prefer to waste their money.

So...waiting five months to get the thing is worth saving $100 to you? Compared to getting it within days?

misaka.png

Side notes: The HD 650 was $650 when it first came out. Used prices for the HD 650 and HD 6XX are about the same.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2017 at 1:27 AM Post #17 of 17
ok, thanks. have any other headphones to suggest?

HE400S has a response curve more similar to the HD600 but it has the same sensitivity as the HD650 at a lower impedance, so amplification isn't a problem unless whatever you plug it into has a really high output impedance. And then there's Sennheiser vs HiFiMan on product support. Also, it might not have enough bass for most of your music.

There's also the Fidelio X2, which is to the HD650 what the HE400S is to the HD600, but product support from Philips is even worse. They don't stock replacement pads, and the way their pads are typically made, it's like they expect you do one of two things when the pads wear out: ship them back to them to get the replacement or you toss the headphone into the rubbish bin and buy a new one. It's easy to DIY mount Brainwavz HM5 earpads, but you're still left hanging if the drivers get busted, one of those parts you can order from Sennheiser and even HiFiMan. If I'm getting Philips, I'd get the SHP9500S - it's under $100, very easy to drive, also fits Brainwavz pads with a little DIY, but again it won't have the kind of bass you might prefer for some of your music.

There's the DT770 but then it might have too much bass for some of your music, although adjusting the clamp by bending the metal sections mitigates some of that.

Al around safest bet is likely the HD6XX/HD650 though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back