Want to buy a headphone but don't really know which one fits.
Mar 25, 2017 at 6:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Neksorus

New Head-Fier
So I plan on buying a headphone for under €150
I listen alot of nightcore lately and play alot of overwatch and Gta V.
My question is what do I need for listening alot of Nightcore and what are some recommendations of you people?

Mar 25, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #2 of 15
  So I plan on buying a headphone for under €150
I listen alot of nightcore lately and play alot of overwatch and Gta V.
My question is what do I need for listening alot of Nightcore and what are some recommendations of you people?

Are you interested in an open or closed headphone? Open leak sound both into and out of the headphone. Open also generally have a better soundstage and sometimes, better imaging, which may offer advantages for gaming. Closed headphones may have better bass. Do you have an idea which one you would prefer?

Mar 25, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #3 of 15
Are you interested in an open or closed headphone? Open leak sound both into and out of the headphone. Open also generally have a better soundstage and sometimes, better imaging, which may offer advantages for gaming. Closed headphones may have better bass. Do you have an idea which one you would prefer?

Open would be great since the headphones I have now are closed and i can't hear people downstairs when they need me.

Mar 25, 2017 at 6:51 PM Post #4 of 15
You should look into the Sennheiser HD598, SoundMAGIC HP200, the Philips SHP9500S, and the Audio Technica ATH-AD900X (in my opinion, in that order). Maybe read about these and see what you think.

Mar 25, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #5 of 15
  You should look into the Sennheiser HD598, SoundMAGIC HP200, the Philips SHP9500S, and the Audio Technica ATH-AD900X (in my opinion, in that order). Maybe read about these and see what you think.

+1 on the SoundMAGIC HP200

Also HD598 and even better the HD558 (same as HD598 but without a piece of foam in the cups). They are 1/3 cheaper than the HD598, and you can add the piece of foam yourself for $1usd.

Mar 26, 2017 at 5:28 AM Post #6 of 15
+1 on the SoundMAGIC HP200

Also HD598 and even better the HD558 (same as HD598 but without a piece of foam in the cups). They are 1/3 cheaper than the HD598, and you can add the piece of foam yourself for $1usd.
Hd558 is an option it is only €100

Problem is i don't have a credit card to buy on amazon or newegg or anything like that i have a dutch payment card and Paypal is no option either if I want to buy something it has to be in a dutch shop.
Soundmagic HP200 and Philips SHP9500S are not available here,
The Audio Techinca ATH-AD900X's are only on untrusted sites
Sennheiser HD598 is €250 that is €100 over my budget so yeah bit of a problem right there.

Mar 26, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #9 of 15
That's what I would go with then. See if you can listen to it in the shops, although the foam mod will improve the sound too.

It's very easy to perform. I'll see if I can find the thread for you with the mod instructions.

Mar 26, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #10 of 15
  That's what I would go with then. See if you can listen to it in the shops, although the foam mod will improve the sound too.

It's very easy to perform. I'll see if I can find the thread for you with the mod instructions.

Here you go: http://www.headfonia.com/sennheisers-new-hd558-and-hd598/3/

And here is the main HF discussion thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/573899/sennheiser-hd518-hd558-hd598-support-thread

Keep in mind they have a 50ohms impedance, so to get the best sound and volume possible out of them, you'll want to consider using a headphone amplifier. They are much easier to drive than higher impedance headphones though (150-300ohms+). I feel 50-60ohms is right on the border of needing an amp, so they may be just fine without it depending on your source.

Mar 27, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #12 of 15
Well, I know open back is really helpful with gaming. I don't hardcore game myself, but I know gamers really make a big deal about hearing where sounds are coming from in FPS games etc.

Be aware you will give up a wider soundstage with closed headphones. But isolation (and almost always bass) is better with closed.

My philosophy is to have fewer pairs of much more reasonable headphones, vs that one "killer" pair that is hundreds of dollars. That way, I can wear a portable/more compact/more isolated pair when out and about, an IEM when working out, an immersive pair for watching movies, a pair I can leave at work on my desk, and a nice pair for critical listening sessions at home (with disregard to how big or ugly they are, and whether they fold up or not).

The HD558/HD598 are really nice headphones for many of the above situations - games, movies, listening at home, at work. Just not working out or wearing when out and about.

I really like Philips headphones (in general). They continually surprise me with their clean sound, quality construction, and incredible value for the money. They are always on my list when I'm shopping for a pair of headphones (open, closed, whatever).

Since you also have the restriction of needing to buy a headphone locally at a shop (vs amazon/ebay/etc), that seems like it's going to influence your decision above all else. Why don't you let us know some of the models in stock at your local shop (and in your price range), and we'll try to make a recommendation from that more narrow/manageable list? Otherwise, you could get 100 recommendations from 100 different people, where none of it applies to you because they're not available at your local shop.

Mar 28, 2017 at 1:16 AM Post #14 of 15
  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro are also quite good for gaming. Sound wise, they are V shaped; big bass and treble. Fun headphones in my opinion.

True dat. Love that Beyerdynamic sound and German engineering!

The 32 ohm version is within the price range, easy to drive with most any source, and should be available at most better shops.

Mar 28, 2017 at 1:17 AM Post #15 of 15
Ok this are some I found.

Beyerdynamic custom one pro plus

JBL Everest (until 700)

DT 770 and DT 990 (Don't think i'll like the earpads though)

Sennheiser RS 120 until 170

Sennheiser urbanite XL

Audio-technica M50X

AKG Y50BT

Sennheiser HD558

EDIT: Creative aurvana Live2 is annoption to (but slightly over budget)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back