Want to build a tube amp not using sub mini tubes need suggestions
Mar 2, 2014 at 10:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

MN Ham Phones

100+ Head-Fier
Hi

I'm a long time browser but infrequent poster.
I want to DIY a tube amp using tubes larger then sub mini.
I've already build a Bijou and Maple Tree Ear+ knockoff, both from scratch not kits.
Now I need another amp for the 2nd floor of the house.
I'd like it to be busier and more substantial looking to ordinary folks--larger tubes, transformer coupling, etc.

It must be DIY and use Octal tubes or pre Octal tubes not sub minis.
My budget is up to $1000
I typically listen to Grado's but may be getting HD 600s

What are your suggestions ?

I'm a ham operator with other DIY experience including 100+ Heathkits.

Mar 3, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #2 of 4
There are not too many headphone amps with lots of tubes. Its just not necessary for the low power levels at hand. 

That being said, if you want lots of tubes - I would look into stuff that uses gas-discharge tubes as voltage references, or maybe add a tube-based voltage regulator to an existing circuit. 

Mar 3, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #3 of 4
Maybe one of the Aikido amps using one of their tube based power supplies.  Depending on the tube regulator chosen, you would end up with 5 or 6 tubes.  I have not listened to one used as a head amp but I have just finished one set up as  a pre-amp and it sounds great.

Me

Mar 3, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #4 of 4

Maybe this might interest you.

It's a simple single-ended two stage design with Electra-Print output transformers. First stage is a type 76 with a 10M90 CCS plate load and LED bias.Second is a cathode biased 6V6 driving a 7k:32 transformer. Coupling is via a Soviet military K40y PIO capacitor.

The power supply is solid-state rectification driving dual 6EA7 based series regulators. All capacitors are PIO motor-run types.

Output is about 1W. Very simple. Very bullet-proof.

Materials costs, assuming you had to buy everything, would run $600-$1k depending on parts quality and tube line-up.

Since this photo I've changed the tube line-up to directly-heated type 46 outputs and type 27 inputs. Hard to beat the visual appeal of an all globe  tube line-up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back