Want to build a modest speaker home (apartment) theater set up
Feb 12, 2005 at 12:57 AM Post #31 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
the receiver uses spring clips, two binding posts for L/R and spring clips for everything else... no home theater enthusiast, audiophile in his right mind uses spring clips and a $250 receiver.

meridian speakers run a few grand per pair.. and you are going to hook them up to a $250 spring clip receiver with no seperate amp?

this is a pic of the back of my current receiver, I wouldnt even be able to use these cables on that panny. even if I removed the bananas, the wiring still wont fit in those spring clips.

You are telling the panny is better then a denon 3805? the 3805 is a $1200 model BTW, not $800... are you sure you are speaking of the same model number?

the 2805 runs for $899

The panny may be a good starter receiver but dont be comparing these things with pre amps, amps and receivers past the $1k mark. its not going to happen.

RnB, take it easy. Pannylane is NOT looking to hook meridian speakers to panny. You should read the past threads...For $200 panny xr series are very good. Obviously the spring clips will not do the justice for most $1000+ pair speakers. That's not the argument here. You keep missing the point.

Rycet, the Denon avr-3805 were quite capable when I heard it in the showroom. I believe $1200 list price, but can be found $800+. In another thread, I'd recommended denon avr-3805 and dvd-3910 duo for ht system. However, these equipments don't fit the bill in this case.

Feb 12, 2005 at 1:17 AM Post #32 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigD
RnB, take it easy. Pannylane is NOT looking to hook meridian speakers to panny. You should read the past threads...For $200 panny xr series are very good. Obviously the spring clips will not do the justice for most $1000+ pair speakers. That's not the argument here. You keep missing the point.

Rycet, the Denon avr-3805 were quite capable when I heard it in the showroom. I believe $1200 list price, but can be found $800+. In another thread, I'd recommended denon avr-3805 and dvd-3910 duo for ht system. However, these equipments don't fit the bill in this case.

actually I think the panny would be a good starter system for penny lane, its affordable and seems to be well received, Ive personally have not listened to it. I made note of that in my previous post.

what bothers me are the people that say this $250-$300 will leave multi thousand dollar systems in the dust and outperform the denon 3805 in driving capabilty. Which is just not possible since the power out put on the 3805 are rated MORE then the panny. These claims sounding more and more ridiculous, kind of like digital propaganda, Im sure digital amplification is good but dont claiming it smokes what audiophile companies have to offer which is just ludicrous.

Feb 12, 2005 at 1:30 AM Post #33 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
wires2.jpg

are those monster cables on the left?

also what speaker cable are you using?

Feb 12, 2005 at 1:38 AM Post #34 of 58
I made those speaker cables myself, I used to sell a few custom made cables in bi wire or dual lead configurations as a hobby. Since then I havent sold any for a while, it was just something I did on the side.

cable8.jpg

redauction.jpg

redauction1.jpg

ratsnest.jpg

I just made this one last week for fun with some parts I picked up at frys and rat shack

cat3mini.jpg

Feb 12, 2005 at 2:08 AM Post #36 of 58
Heh, your first pictures of your speaker cables looked very familiar until I realize that I have a bookmark to your how-to guide. Really nice looking cables :)

Feb 12, 2005 at 2:24 AM Post #37 of 58
thanks for the compliments,

actually, I just ordered a bunch of neutrik plugs, (better then the crap GQ plugs I got from frys horrible plugs), some RCAs, Neutrik 1/4" plugs and female 1/4" neutrik adapter with some silver coated teflon 26 awg solid copper wire

I have a bit of spare flexing, silver bearing solder and dual wall heatshrink. Im gonna braid and flex some fancy 1/4" silver headphone extension cables Kimber Kable style... make a 1/4" to 1/4" cable and several mini to mini's. and a litz braided silver teflon mini to Rca cable.

keep an eye out in the for sale forums, Ill most likely sell a few extra silver braided mini to minis left over.

Feb 12, 2005 at 3:33 AM Post #38 of 58
*sigh* You've obviously never read any of the audiocircle threads. Who gives a rat's *** what the power rating is? It's relative and you're never going to use it all. These receivers drive hard loads and they sound good. The rest is marketing. Don't fall into the elitist marketing gobbledy gook trap either. Who cares if it's 50w or 100w if you're only going to use 0.5w?

Feb 12, 2005 at 4:00 AM Post #39 of 58
Seriously...

You guys can argue about this all day, but until you hear a JVC or a Panny digi-amp there's really no point. I think we can all acknowledge that the price/performance ratio claimed by forum-goers seems absurd and the specs for these things sound terrible. I was skeptical myself, but once you audition one of these amps you'll find that the hype is nowhere near as far from the truth as originally thought. If you read/skim through the audiocircle thread you can get a sense of some of the rather pricey and well-regarded equipment that people have ditched and replaced with cheap digital amps.

ooheadsoo pointed me in the direction of the JVC and I certainly reiterate that rec. for anyone seeking to purchase a new amp. I would have to look pretty far up on the Denon, H-K, Rotel, etc. food-chain to find something that could top the JVC.

Feb 12, 2005 at 5:57 AM Post #40 of 58
RnB180, the panny xr50 only cost you $240, what you've got to lose? Try it, if you don't like it, it'll be sold very easy, either here or audiogon.
Yep, the spring clips is big let down, it forced me to buy a 16 gauge speaker wire to fit it.

Regarding the price I was quoted, I was buying paradigm speakers at that time and the salesman tried hard to sold me that Denon. I was not interested since I've bought the panny already, finally he quote me that price and let me auditioned it for a week.

Now about the sound difference, My Fave headphone right now is cd3k, what I like about them is their detail, separation, brightness. Using the XR50, It brings out the detail in my paradigm Titan. Unfortunately it depends a lot on the cd recording itself. It reveals any quirks it have on a bad recording, using 3805 that quirks is not there. Using a good recorded cd, the denon sounds veiled to me, where else using XR50 to drive the Titan, I can say it's around 70-80% of what cd3k has.

Sorry mate, the panny xr50 looks cheap, got a cheap build, crappy remotes, but it surely sounds better than 3805. If it can drive as good as the xr50, I would have bought that denon, I sure like the remote.

Feb 12, 2005 at 8:15 AM Post #41 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
*sigh* You've obviously never read any of the audiocircle threads. Who gives a rat's *** what the power rating is? It's relative and you're never going to use it all. These receivers drive hard loads and they sound good. The rest is marketing. Don't fall into the elitist marketing gobbledy gook trap either. Who cares if it's 50w or 100w if you're only going to use 0.5w?

well, it matters if I listen to reference level audio during action movies, the subs peak at 120 dB alone.

If my speakers are rated at 91 dB spl, that is taken from 1 meter away from the speaker excluding varying room acoustics and dampening and so on.

to attain 92 decibels it was take 2 watts, 93, 4 watts, 94 dB 8 watts, 95 dB 16 watts, 96 dB 32 watts, 97 dB 64 watts, 98 dB 128 watts.

not to mention head room for sound spikes, POP!
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 12, 2005 at 8:35 AM Post #42 of 58
If you have a pair of speakers that are 91 db spl at 1 watt 1 meter (In room response) then:

91db at 1 watt
94db at 2 watts
97db at 4 watts
100db at 8 watts

With every doubling of power comes a 3db gain in sound pressure level. But, to me this is irrelevant if the amp can’t power the speakers the way I think it should.

Feb 12, 2005 at 9:22 AM Post #43 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by CRESCENDOPOWER
If you have a pair of speakers that are 91 db spl at 1 watt 1 meter (In room response) then:

91db at 1 watt
94db at 2 watts
97db at 4 watts
100db at 8 watts

With every doubling of power comes a 3db gain in sound pressure level. But, to me this is irrelevant if the amp can’t power the speakers the way I think it should.

Are you positive? all sources Ive read calculate it at 1 dB gain per wattage doubled. Unles my memory fails me Ill have to recheck the math. Its been a while since Ive read up on home theater.

EDIT: Im a dummy, yes you are correct its a 3dB gain. Thank you for pointing that out.

Feb 12, 2005 at 9:27 AM Post #44 of 58
Don't forget that your sub isn't driven by your receiver unless you're running some strange setup.

Feb 12, 2005 at 9:30 AM Post #45 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by ooheadsoo
Don't forget that your sub isn't driven by your receiver unless you're running some strange setup.

subs arent driven by the receiver? silly me, no wonder they came with plug for the wall!
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back