Want t buy an Ipod: need some help regarding line-out
Apr 24, 2005 at 5:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

dougbrad81

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,
First of all I've search and couldn't find any answer to what I'm looking for. I would like to buy an ipod to replace my minidisc players. What I'm wondering though and not clear on is the issue regarding the line-out. I know the ipod doesn't have a line-out built in to it. But does third party adapters like SendStation PocketDock with Line Out, and SiK Ram Din line-out adapters qualify as a true line-out option? which of the products available provide the best quality line-out? thanks for any help.

Apr 24, 2005 at 5:19 AM Post #2 of 6
I think most consider it a 'true line' out. It's line level and not influenced by volume. The EQ does register on its output (usually a disqualification), but it's digital only so doesn't 'cloud' the sound.

There was some static issues at one point with SendStation, but I'm not sure now. Think about which shape or connector you want. Also be aware the Siks have locking hooks if that's important to you.

Apr 24, 2005 at 5:54 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
I think most consider it a 'true line' out. It's line level and not influenced by volume. The EQ does register on its output (usually a disqualification), but it's digital only so doesn't 'cloud' the sound.

There was some static issues at one point with SendStation, but I'm not sure now. Think about which shape or connector you want. Also be aware the Siks have locking hooks if that's important to you.

I don't understand what you mean by locking hooks. can you explain that? I see you got an ipod. would you go with the sendstation or siks? or is there a diffrent product that you prefer?

Apr 24, 2005 at 7:00 AM Post #5 of 6
also do i need to buy the Apple iPod photo Dock? is this a better option for portable use than the lik sin?

Apr 24, 2005 at 8:07 AM Post #6 of 6
The dock is your call. If you want to display images on your TV, it is useful (if you get an iPod Photo and a Photo dock). Otherwise it repeats the function of the Sik/SendStation. It does look nice on the desk and places the iPod at an angle that some may find useful, but you could wait and see if you'd ever use it. As for portable use I think the other options are better (espeically if you ever plan on using in a pocket or backpack/bag). Also of note, hardly any cases work with the iPod dock. I use a Foofpod 'case', so I can take the iPod out if I want to use the dock (got one free- probably never would have bought).

I went with the Din, because the other Sik wasn't available yet, and the reports of static on the SendStation (not discussed as much any more) were around. For 'hooks' I meant the Sik clicks in place and there are buttons on the side to release it. the SendStation is held on with just friction. I like the Siks locking mechanism and against-the-iPod size (works with far more iPod cases), but like the SendStations overall shape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back