Want soundcard for <$100
Feb 28, 2009 at 7:00 AM Post #2 of 10
Wanna buy my HT Omega Striker for $65 shipped? It's pretty good for the under $100 range. The Asus DX or D1 is decent. Another option is the EMU soundcards, ESI Juli@, Chaintech AV-710 if you can find one, and M-Audio 2496

Feb 28, 2009 at 7:19 AM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
M-Audio 2496, ESI Juli@, and all E-MU cards in his budget cannot do 5.1 output

good suggestion, would read again A+++++

@ op:
Asus Xonar DX is a good pick, so is Diamond XS71, Auzen X-Plosion, and perhaps Creative's X-Fi on sale

Oh yeah, hahaha. I keep forgetting since I always use external DACs.

Heeeey why did you exclude the HT Omega Striker?
frown.gif

Feb 28, 2009 at 7:23 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh yeah, hahaha. I keep forgetting since I always use external DACs.

Heeeey why did you exclude the HT Omega Striker?
frown.gif

because you already mentioned, so why re-hash? theres nothing wrong with it

and an external D/A doesn't gurantee multi-channel either, in other words, you can't get 5.1 out of most of those boards regardless of what you do, some of the higher end M-Audio and E-MU solutions do offer DTS and AC-3 passthrough, but it requires an external AC-3/DTS source, and external AC-3/DTS decoder

Feb 28, 2009 at 8:40 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by obobskivich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
because you already mentioned, so why re-hash? theres nothing wrong with it

and an external D/A doesn't gurantee multi-channel either, in other words, you can't get 5.1 out of most of those boards regardless of what you do, some of the higher end M-Audio and E-MU solutions do offer DTS and AC-3 passthrough, but it requires an external AC-3/DTS source, and external AC-3/DTS decoder

Oh really? Didn't know that... I thought multi-channel processing has been a standard within the past decade or so. Good to know.

Asus, Auzentech, HT Omega, and Creative cards do multi-channel for sure. But try to avoid Creative cards unless you're using an external DAC like a receiver or surround sound processor. And even then... iffy... Also, avoid Asus for multi-channel analog since their surround DACs aren't as good as their mains.

Mar 2, 2009 at 6:15 AM Post #8 of 10
Did you ever go for the Omega Striker? How did you like it?

Mar 2, 2009 at 8:55 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh really? Didn't know that... I thought multi-channel processing has been a standard within the past decade or so. Good to know.

Asus, Auzentech, HT Omega, and Creative cards do multi-channel for sure. But try to avoid Creative cards unless you're using an external DAC like a receiver or surround sound processor. And even then... iffy... Also, avoid Asus for multi-channel analog since their surround DACs aren't as good as their mains.

theres nothing at all wrong with Creative, so stop filling his head with worthless nonsense

Mar 2, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #10 of 10
I've never had any trouble with the drivers for my Audigy 2 ZS, and it's a pretty old card running with a relatively new OS (Vista x64). The good thing is that nowadays Creative has some competition that is worth giving a second look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back