Want Opinions On Upgrading From Headroom TAH
Dec 17, 2005 at 3:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

scm207

100+ Head-Fier
I am fortunate to have a very nice audio setup, so I use 'phones only when reading in bed or to have tunes when visiting friends or relatives. For this reason, an amp with a DC jack is a big plus and an amp that is "mobile" is more important than an amp that is "portable".

I'm currently using a Panasonic portable CD player to feed an older Total Airhead running my Senn 580's. I am fond of the crossfeed circuit, but have never heard any other headphone amp so I have no point of comparison. I'm considering an amp upgrade (new or used) of less than $300.

What amps do you recommend and at this price point? Given the portable CD source, is it possible an amp upgrade wouldn't offer significant improvement in the sound?

TIA.

Dec 17, 2005 at 4:53 PM Post #2 of 7
Is portability an issue with you? Just looking at contenders in the pricepoint I'd probably say the Headroom Micro Amp, the Gilmore Lite, perhaps a Xin Super Macro 3, Super Mini 3, etc... Those are the ones that come readily to mind. Others include the Portaphile 2, the Firestone Audi offerings, or you could awlays have someone build you something likea millet hybrid of a M3. MisterX isa well respected member who could do these last 2 options for you.

Dec 17, 2005 at 5:29 PM Post #3 of 7
Some portability would be desirable, so battery option is a must. Since a portable CD will be the source, a mini-plug input is a good thing. Anyone care to compare the Headroom Micro, Porta Corda, Xin or other offerings?

Dec 17, 2005 at 6:54 PM Post #4 of 7
There is a lot of portable competition at the price range which will be a significant upgrade over the total airhead.

At $300, both the Headroom Micro (with desktop module) and Ray Samuels Hornet are great amps. Do a search on these items plus the Porta Corda, Headamp AE-1, Xin, etc.

Dec 18, 2005 at 8:27 AM Post #5 of 7
I am in a similar situation, and in previous posts I received some feedback from fellow members. In summary, if you want mobile with optional power supply and crossfeed, your best option is the Headroom Micro, and the Desktop Module is highly recommended. At that price point, that is what I am considering. Unfortunately, Headroom is currently out of Desktop Modules, and they are not expected in for a few weeks. Most, but not all, opinions believe that this set-up is a vast improvement over the TAH. You could go without crossfeed and expand your choices. Since I listen to many older recordings, I find the crossfeed very valuable. And, it can always be turned off. A quick search should allow you to find some of the postings. Let us know what you decide.

Dec 19, 2005 at 6:01 AM Post #6 of 7
Desktop modules out of stock?

I just got my Desktop Portable on Saturday (ordered it on Tuesday afternoon). When I spoke to Jorge about ordering the amp he said most of their amps are being built within 3-5 working days and didn't mention a shortage of modules. You might have more updated info, though. That would be a shame if there is a delay as their amps are sweet and customer service is fantastic.

BTW, loving my new setup. Will post a review after I've had enough time burning in and listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back