want new open backed headphones, around SGD180
Mar 13, 2015 at 11:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

TripBitShooter

500+ Head-Fier
I have been looking for a pair of open headphones, and I have been thinking about the Grado SR80e. However, I would prefer an over ear headphone for long periods of home listening. Anybody got any suggestions around the use price range?

Mar 13, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #2 of 10
What kind of music do you listen to? What sound signature do you like? Grados are great for rock, but not always the most versatile outside of that.

Mar 13, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #3 of 10
I understand that Grados are not the best for other genres, but they do work well with guitars because of their inherently warm sound. Because of this, I have also looked at the ATH-AD700X and Sennheiser HD518.

as for genres of music, I pretty much listen to everything, as I'm on a government sponsored music scholarship and I am required to listen to many different types of music.

I prefer neutral sound signature. I have an M50x and a yamaha HPE-170, and I find the M50x a bit too bass heavy and sharp in the treble with too lifeless MIDs and vocals. The HPE-170 is way too trebly and bass extension is terrible. The other headphones I have are budget ones.

Mar 13, 2015 at 10:29 PM Post #4 of 10
A used pair of HD558's might be right up your alley, warm, smooth mids and treble, not heavy in the bass (mid bass hump is all). I haven't heard the others.

Mar 14, 2015 at 9:34 AM Post #5 of 10
I would actually try to avoid a warm sound, plus used headphones are rather rare in Singapore, especially one like the HD558. I listen a lot to piano pieces, and bass humps become pretty obvious and irritating in the lower notes.

Mar 14, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #6 of 10
Any other suggestions?

Mar 14, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #7 of 10
Takstar HI-2050 or TS-671 might be worth looking at. Both of these would likely be more versatile than the Grado you are looking at (though I freely admit to not being any sort of Grado expert here--I've only heard the 80's once). There  are reviews of both the HI-2050 and the TS-671 in the Head Gear section of Head Fi under "Over-Ear" and "Takstar." Anyhow, those are the two that come to my mind in your budget and with your stated criteria in mind. Best of luck!!

Mar 15, 2015 at 6:55 AM Post #8 of 10
Thanks for your well wishes. I have heard of the Takstars, which are like half my budget at their current price. However, they are nowhere to be found in Singapore. Something around the price range of an ATH-AD700X, which is a lot more expensive than a Grado SR80e, would be something I can consider

Mar 16, 2015 at 4:23 AM Post #10 of 10
Really? Well, my parents do object strongly to me spending time meeting unknown people to buy second hand stuff or buying stuff online as its rather untrustworthy. Moreover, $80 is like less than half my budget. I'm going for something a lot better. I also will not know whether I like the sound or not, because I cannot try it. I like a very neutral sound. Any warmth irritates me as I listen to piano pieces a lot. Only reason why I have an M50x is because it is a decent portable can

Users who are viewing this thread

Back