Want new headphones, what should I pick instead of ATH-PRO500MK2?
May 16, 2014 at 4:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

KRANE

New Head-Fier
First of all I want to say that these are great headphones (ATH-PRO500MK2), but I want new ones and I am not sure what would compare for the same price. Reason I want new ones is because these aren't very comfortable for me, everyone who tried them didn't mind, but I have sensitive ears lets say.

They have 10-30 spectrum, nice base, not overpowering, the entire line sounds pretty flat, but they need an amp to get  you to the full potential. My iPhone 5S rocked them really well, didn't need an amp, but with PC you definitely need one.

So I am going to sell my ATH-PRO500MK2 black for around $140 or so, gotta check the prices for used. and Instead I want headphones in the same price range, that is $180.
Someone on some forum mentioned Audio Technica ATHESW9A, they look sick and have great reviews, their spectrum is 5-35 which is even better than mine, but one thing is their driver is 42mm, mine is 52mm, what does that mean for the sound quality?

Any other reasonably priced suggestions?

PS. not trolling, but I heard bose has superior noise cancellation, but their headphones sound quality sucks sweaty balls. In my personal opinion they look horrible, cheap silver plastic all around, stupid round shape, tacky buttons that move and click. Does anyone have any idea if they are developing a new line of headphones that actually sound good and cancel the noise? They released bunch of earphones, but last time they released headphones was like 2004, like come on 10 years passed. I need them for studying, travel etc.

May 17, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #3 of 3
Pro500 looks like an on-ear headphone?  So is ESW9, so maybe you might want to avoid on-ears.  Try HD380, SRH840, and ATH-M50x, or even better, specify what music you listen to and we can narrow down what your better choices are.  Also, you need not pay much attention to frequency response ranges printed on packaging.  A frequency response graph is more useful, and you can find some very easily pertaining to whatever headphones with a Google Search.
If you can't decide on anything else or end up not liking the above, try ATH-PRO700, I've read that it is good.
Yes, just ignore Bose, haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back