Want new headphones, but not sure which?
May 10, 2012 at 11:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

orca

New Head-Fier
Hey all, new here, so sorry if this is in the wrong part of the forum.

I currently have these Sennheisers (http://www.sennheiser.co.uk/uk/home_en.nsf/root/private_headphones_mp3_street-line_502861) which i'm pretty happy with.  I like the fact that they're flush with my ears, unlike the headphones which have the large bits (don't know the technical term) around the ears.  Like most of us though, i always want something better with better sound quality etc. I haven't really got a budget as such, probably a limit of about £200 i guess, but i want value for money, both in terms of quality of sound, comfort, style etc.

I do like the beats by dre range; obviously overpriced for what you get in terms of quality, but i reckon the style (my opinion of course) makes up for that.I like the pro's; and found a link to some for £180 here: http://www.byheadphones.co.uk/11-monster-beats-by-dre-pro-white-professional-headphone.html.  Not sure if that's a fake or something cause it seems very fake.

As for the open/closed question, i would prefer quality of sound over prioritising lack of leakage.  I'm just wondering what people who know more than me think about those dr dre pro's above, or have some better suggestions of headphones to look at?

Also, i listen to quite heavy bass music, as well as the general mainstream stuff like LMAO, Flo Rida, Pendulum, and Fedde Le Grande, Empire of the Sun, Temper Trap etc.

So basically my question is, with a budget of £200 ish, and wanting value for money (value being sound quality, style, comfort) would it be worth going for those Dr Dre Beats Pro's, or are there any other headphones that would be a better choice?

Thanks all.

May 10, 2012 at 12:04 PM Post #2 of 7
It might be wise not to follow a hype. In addition, most of the members here express a strong dislike for any of the Beats headphones, therefore I doubt anyone will recommend them to you. If you are after style - try searching for V-moda headphones. They look quite unique and I believe they fit your price range. I have not heard them, though so a knowledgeable member might want to chime in with their impressions.

I just got Denon AH-D1100, which is a bass-heavy phone but not to the extent when your head starts to hurt. I must say I'm quite happy with them. In my opinion they look stylish, some say they look quirky. I couldn't care less since the SQ they deliver for me is superb.

May 10, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #3 of 7
Yeah, that's what i'm thinking.  I genuinely like the way the Dr Dre Beats Pro's look though; it's just the thought of buying into a hype that puts me off.  Obviously due to the profile of both Dre and the headphones, they can put the price up.  I have looked at the v moda's, and they do look nice, although i do prefer the beats...  The Denon's look okay too, and half the price of the v-moda's and beats.

I'm wondering what people think of that link about the beats though; £180 seems too cheap when they're £350 on the official website http://beatsbydre.com/products/Products.aspx?pid=B5616

May 10, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #4 of 7
A quick check on Monster's site shows that byheadphones.co.uk are listed as a counterfeit beats seller.
http://www.monstercable.com/counterfeit/dealers_blk.asp

As for the beats in general, just ignore the hype and the backlash and get whatever it is you like.  They're widely available, so finding a place to listen to them shouldn't be difficult.  If you like the sound, get them. If you don't enjoy them, there are myriad other options available and many people here who'd be happy to help you find what works for you.

May 10, 2012 at 1:39 PM Post #5 of 7
Thanks so much for the link.  Did think that price seemed a bit too good to be true.  Not sure whether i'm willing to spend £350 on the pro's.  Makes me think though; just checked ebay, and you can get pro's for less than £200; how would you work out if they're fakes or not?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back