Want High End Gaming Headset
Dec 7, 2009 at 3:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Linyanti

New Head-Fier
Here is my situation: Auzentech X-Fi Forte 7.1 soundcard with added OPA 637AU opamps for the right and left channel. I use a Sennheiser PC166 headset with the 3.5 mm plugs. I use it primarily for gaming. I either use the headphone amp straight out from the X-Fi Forte or use the right and left amps out through a Ming Da MC-84C07 headphone amp to the headset. (the variety is nice). The microphone runs straight to the X-Fi Forte. I do not use the USB connector that came with the headset.

I like the non-enclosed feeling of the headphones and the sound is pretty good. The microphone is average but that is all I need while gaming. The earphone sound is fine but I was looking for something "better". My preference is over the head, supraaural and open.

Most of the upgrades just seem to be glorified aviation or television studio headsets. The sound may be good but the manufacturers put a large effort in each headset to exclude outside noise to the extent where the open sound is lost.

Here are some of the ones I searched for AKG HSD 171/271, HSC 171/271, 109 SB, Beyerdynamic MMX 300, Sennheiser PC 350, Bose Aviation Headset X. But since I live in a small town I have not actually used any of these. I can order one of these from different companies for a simultaneous comparison and then return them but that does not seem fair.

There are lots of great headphones but the selection of "headsets" is small.

If you do not have a suggestion for a headset would you please make a suggestion for a "headset microphone" that installs on one of the earcups and rotates and functions like a real headset microphone? There is nothing like the feel of a good rotating headset mike. That would be the best solution for me. Not a clip on microphone for the headset cord. I have also tried the microphone on a desk like a newscaster but that is not that great.

I do not need a noise cancelling microphone or headphones and sound leakage from the headphones is not a problem.

If you have used any of these mentioned products would you be kind enough to leave a comment? Also please let me know if there is a durable rotating microphone that can be attached to a set of headphones that will convert it into a good headset.

HSD 171/HSD 271

HSC 171/HSC 271

K 109 SB

beyerdynamic MANUFAKTUR*-*MMX 300 MANUFAKTUR

Sennheiser Worldwide - PC 350, stereo Headset, Headset microphones -

Aviation Headsets and Pilot Headsets - Bose Headsets and Headphones

Dec 7, 2009 at 4:23 PM Post #4 of 10
I don't understand, you have a truly FANTASTIC sound card, yet you refuse to buy headphones and mic separately? When you buy a headset, you're generally getting an expensive mic with a garbage pair of headphones, with a few exceptions.

Get headphones and mic separate, that's all I'll say.

Dec 7, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't understand, you have a truly FANTASTIC sound card, yet you refuse to buy headphones and mic separately? When you buy a headset, you're generally getting an expensive mic with a garbage pair of headphones, with a few exceptions.

Get headphones and mic separate, that's all I'll say.

An exception would be the beyers which are a rebadged DT770pro which is an -ok- gaming set but i'd probably go for the AD700 instead.

Dec 7, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #6 of 10
Ill tell you right now PC350s sound ok in games, ok in music. mic is very good. but I bought them for about 210 US + taxes ..came up to 230 dollars. They are way overpriced. they should be great in games and music. but maybe you have that soundcard with the amp, it might sound better for you. my problem with the 350's is there is no bass and the sound is not deep.

but for example in terms of FPS games where you wanna know where sound is coming from, alot of headphones including the one I used before (20 dollar Sony headphones) work just fine and I can tell where everyone is in CS, COD4, and Americas army.

Dec 7, 2009 at 8:22 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
An exception would be the beyers which are a rebadged DT770pro which is an -ok- gaming set but i'd probably go for the AD700 instead.

DT770 is simply brutal for gaming, speaking from experience.

And OP if you want a high end gaming headset, you can forget about supraaural. But then again, after a point, headphones can only do so much which is why the headphones I will declare "best" later in this post are cheaper than a lot of other options that are quite good. It's more about your source.

Just get any Audio-Technica, Denon & JMoney pads, Beyerdynamic DT880, or Sennheiser and a Zalman ZM-Mic 1, you'll be much happier. You also don't need to worry about fidgeting with the mic all the time, moving it up to take off your headphones, etc.

For the headphones by budget I recommend the following in the order I prefer them. You have a good soundcard that can drive any of the headphones I'm going to mention.

<$200: Audio-Technica A(D)700, Sennheiser HD555, Denon AH-D2000

<$300: Beyerdynamic DT880, Audio-Technica A(D)900, AKG K701/2, Sennheiser HD595

<$1000 (After <$300 there are only a few good options): Denon AH-D5000/7000 modded with JMoney pads and Lawton Audio wood cups (markl mod/recabling makes little to no difference as far as gaming goes as it doesn't effect soundstage), any Audio-Technica in the price range, Sennheiser HD650

Now out of all of those, the Beyerdynamic DT880 is BY FAR the best headphone for gaming. It simply cannot be beat with the possible exception of electrostatics which are stupid expensive. It's also one of the most comfortable. If you can't afford that just get the AD700 or A700 (depending if you need open/closed).

Dec 7, 2009 at 11:53 PM Post #9 of 10
Thank you very much for all of the suggestions. I am interested in the Beyerdynamic DT190. I do have a question about the entire "IFB" and cueing science. Can I just hook it up and use it as a regular headset?

I also thought that the MMX 300 MANUFAKTUR was cool since you can design the colors and put on an inscription.

I also may try the PC350's since the prices seem to be falling daily.

The other suggestions about different headphones are very nice but I am looking for a solid headset. I have used many different headphones and microphone combos on a computer and the striven for gestalt is for one of a solid headset. I am definitely willing to take a slight step down in quality for that feel of a real headset.

Like some of the people here, I used to wear a helmet all the time for a living and it feels great to wear that type of apparatus when it is all fun.

If there are not many other single piece headsets are there any microphones that will securely mount on one of the ears of a set of headphone so it will feel like a headset? Checkzy, that fragality diy mike looks like it will work nicely.

Thanks again.

Dec 8, 2009 at 12:29 AM Post #10 of 10
When you mention of the Beyerdynamic DT880, are talking about the 250 or 600 ohm version? I'm assuming 250 ohms. Let's say I decide I do want to get the Forte sound card (I've been stuck with an Audigy 2 for the past 7 years :[) and decided to add in some nice opamps. Will the DT880 600 ohm version be driven fine with that gear? Also, would it help much if I added in an amp (a decent one, say an EF5)? I didn't know the Forte with the OPAMPS added on would make such a difference.

Didn't mean to hijack the op's thread but it's all pretty relevant. I can't wait to get some DT880s myself! I also debated about a gaming headset but decided on the DT880s and a Zalman mic instead
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DT770 is simply brutal for gaming, speaking from experience.

And OP if you want a high end gaming headset, you can forget about supraaural. But then again, after a point, headphones can only do so much which is why the headphones I will declare "best" later in this post are cheaper than a lot of other options that are quite good. It's more about your source.

Just get any Audio-Technica, Denon & JMoney pads, Beyerdynamic DT880, or Sennheiser and a Zalman ZM-Mic 1, you'll be much happier. You also don't need to worry about fidgeting with the mic all the time, moving it up to take off your headphones, etc.

For the headphones by budget I recommend the following in the order I prefer them. You have a good soundcard that can drive any of the headphones I'm going to mention.

<$200: Audio-Technica A(D)700, Sennheiser HD555, Denon AH-D2000

<$300: Beyerdynamic DT880, Audio-Technica A(D)900, AKG K701/2, Sennheiser HD595

<$1000 (After <$300 there are only a few good options): Denon AH-D5000/7000 modded with JMoney pads and Lawton Audio wood cups (markl mod/recabling makes little to no difference as far as gaming goes as it doesn't effect soundstage), any Audio-Technica in the price range, Sennheiser HD650

Now out of all of those, the Beyerdynamic DT880 is BY FAR the best headphone for gaming. It simply cannot be beat with the possible exception of electrostatics which are stupid expensive. It's also one of the most comfortable. If you can't afford that just get the AD700 or A700 (depending if you need open/closed).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back