Want good DVD player with good CD playing.
Apr 13, 2002 at 9:35 PM Post #16 of 16
Well I've hooked up the Cambridge DVD 300 to the DI/O and got it running. Thought I'd pass on my impressions so far. Since I've never used a DVD machine before I have nothing to compare it to. I've only been able to use the composite video as I don't have 5.1 surround or dolby digital. The picture image is bright and with vivid colors - some say it's too rich - e.g. red is redder than it actually is. However, I like it and it's very sharp and clear. Soundwise - using DVD and CDs it's clear and well defined. The deep bass is there and the highs are too but they're a bit bright and digital. The Cambridge unit has a seven band equalizer which can be used to temper it. But hooking up the DI/O smooths things right out - very warm.

The stock DI/O noticably enhances the sound. I'm only using Radio Shack Gold Interconnects with the cheap silver mono 1/4" plugs. Analogue output to my Denon 375R receiver is unattenuated. I don't detect any sound distortion at all with it or with my X-cans V2 amp. They don't seem to be overload. The X-cans volume adjustments are a bit more sensitive now. My question is: Would there be any advantage to getting the attenuated interconnects when there is no apparent need? I will be upgrading the interconnects sometime soon and will be upgrading with a Stancor power supply - it's cheap enough and might remove the tube to have it running cooler.

The Cambridge has a headphone jack with a volume control! It loads very quickly - seven to eight seconds for the DVD I had on hand and maybe 2-3 seconds for CDs. I don't have any CDr or MP3 disks to test out this reading capability. I chose the Cambridge over other DVD units even though it was more expensive for my budget because the Audio Advisor offered a 30 day money back guarantee and you can talk to sales consultants over the phone. And they delivered within two days - and they're straight shooters.

The one strong point I want to make is that the Cambridge --> DI/O --> X-cans is bliss to me on CDs. I'm eagerly looking forward to the listening experience after further mods and tweaking. Almost, forgot - I listened with Koss Sportapros, definitely not the end-all and be-all of phones but with good sources even they can be musical.

Again, very much appreciated all the suggestions and advice that pointed me in this direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back