Want an ATH-ES5? Think up a competition for me.
May 26, 2005 at 9:47 AM Post #16 of 33
Shame we can't have "Survivor: Head-Fi"
biggrin.gif

I like the 'pick a worst record' but seriously, no-one would guess an unsigned bunch of Indians-of-South-African-origin rappers (shudders at the memory). No contribution things, because firstly I don't want it to need money and secondly if people feel Head-Fi is worthwhile I think they will contribute.

The number thing is such a cop-out in terms of originality. I'm still looking and thinking.

May 26, 2005 at 12:40 PM Post #18 of 33
Contest One:

Offer your cans, so to speak, to the person whose refined musical taste contrasts most sharply with their laughable audio equipment. (No, this isn't a reference to the "my sword is blunted" scene from Satyricon.)

Contest Two:

Let the contestants name the twelve most peculiar musical instruments in existence. Variant 1: Let the contestants name twelve recordings of pieces written for the twelve most peculiar instruments. Variant 2: Let the cone-vested name twelve instruments made from peculiar materials. Variant 3: The crone-tested must name their five fave recordings of instruments made of glass.

Contest Three:

Prospective side-intelligencer beneficiaries must quote lyrics from ten songs that explore the subject of synesthesia. (An example: "Pain is red.")

Contest Four:

Post the best four unretouched photographs of fully clothed people enjoying music played by naked musicians.

Contest Five:

Cite the best sixteen examples of imaginary music in a work of fiction.

Contest 5(a)(v):

Post the best original photo of a lawn goose dressed as a reasonably obscure musician.

Contest Twenty-Ought:

Post the best imaginary portrait of the bangraman behind the purple body mask. (Said portrait must be based solely on the snapshot alluded to above.)

Contest Seventy-Nought:

Post the nineteen best examples of songs with titles that never appear in the lyrics.

Contest the Sixth-and-Ten:

Post the best explanation of how owning the ATH-ES5 will enhance the recipient's prestige, with special attention given to the fawning reactions of others (ideally involving acts of mass submission).

Contest the MCLXX(a)VII-and-Hank:

Pretend a musical instrument exists that is either (1) the living product of genetic engineering or (2) changes pitch by increasing or decreasing in size. How is it played? How does it work? How does it look? The person who answers these questions most inventively wins phine phones.

May 26, 2005 at 4:47 PM Post #19 of 33
We've got to have Contest 5(a)(v) sometime.

Contest Twenty-Ought:
The answer lies here.

The ES5 is packed up and ready to go. I'll take the ideas into consideration and start the giveaway sometime this weekend.

es5packs.jpg

May 27, 2005 at 7:16 PM Post #22 of 33
waitamminute - you want us to guess a fictional character behind the rubber Godzilla suit? interesting contest lol.

May 27, 2005 at 7:30 PM Post #23 of 33
Perhaps an acronym contest? Bangraman provides the acronym (headphone-related or made up), contestants provide the answer.

Silly, yes, but not excessively so compared to other suggestions.
icon10.gif

May 27, 2005 at 7:34 PM Post #24 of 33
How about the competion

Which Head-fi member is having a competition to give away a set of headphones?

1) Bhangraman
2) Bangraman
3) Bangour Amen
4) Slartibartfarst

I say 1.

May 27, 2005 at 8:18 PM Post #25 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
waitamminute - you want us to guess a fictional character behind the rubber Godzilla suit? interesting contest lol.

Who yuh writin' at, Stranger, bangraman er mwah? Down here at Rancho No Tsuris's Scantily-Clad Sundial Nuns and All-Day Coffers o' Minted Cactus Poncho Balm, we don't polyester to folks who smirk at our critter monasteries -- let alone those who mock our bronco worship.

If you're speaking to me, Strapping Young Brudder Jahn, then the answer is no:

I wanted you to create or find the most inventive and/or amusing image of who bangraman might be, not who he actually is.

How many Head-fi members do we have in toto? Am I to infer that, out of all of our various members, some of whom are durned clever and quick on the draw (by which I mean premature expostulation), no one has the imagination to make such a contest fun?

===================================

Since I'm not actually responding to Jahn's harmless comment, which only reminds me of the source of my frustration, I'll address this last paragraph (and all subsequent tongue choreography) to Nobogneewahrr, the personification of every sober response to my various invitations to others to riff, extemporize and otherwise throw shapes for our general amusement:

If you were my surrealist pottery student, Nobogneewahrr, I'd be unthreading my own glazed intestines right now and using them to festoon a vast and sagging clay exclamation point. You see, Nobogneewahrr, one can't unravel a paradoxical creative exercise simply by pointing out the intended paradox. Therefore it's your turn to bring on the non sequiturs and deliver the Joseph Cornell groceries.

May 27, 2005 at 8:22 PM Post #26 of 33
Hullo, I was replying to his reply to you actually Scrypt -

"I wanted you to create or find the most inventive and/or amusing image of who bangraman might be, not who he actually is."

To me, this meant that we'd have a little picture post contest on who could actually be behind the mysterious Kamen Rider mask.

But then his reply to you was to give the green light and post a Godzilla pic. To me, that's when the confusion came in. Was that meant to say that he was actually Godzilla under the Kamen mask? In which case, he was entering his own contest? Or even worse, that he chose Godzilla as the mask to unmask, not Kamen rider? That's what my post was asking, sorry if I was unclear!

May 27, 2005 at 8:31 PM Post #27 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn

No. That's what I look like in the mornings.

May 27, 2005 at 8:32 PM Post #28 of 33
Jahr (has anyone ever told you that your name sounds like a pirate saying oui in English?):

Oh, no, I dih-eh take offense at your friendly response. I was only using it as a diving board and propel[l]ing myself into a froth of sarsparilla-flavored verbiage. (What lovely syllable suds! My!)

May 27, 2005 at 8:33 PM Post #29 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
We've got to have Contest 5(a)(v) sometime.

Contest Twenty-Ought:
The answer lies here.

And just to make an entry (obviously not a serious attempt at finding out the true nature of Bangraman the Real Life Poster - just a fun stab at who could actually be behind the Kamen Rider mask) -

I don't think it's Godzilla. More likely it would be ...

batman.jpg

barrio.JPG

"Super Barrio Man," defender of the poor and powerless! A popular professional wrestler who shows up at demonstrations, mass meetings and strikes in Mexico City and Head-fi dressed in this costume to rally common people in their fight against social and aural injustice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back