Want a new DAC in the 100-200USD range
Feb 1, 2017 at 2:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Rainmaker91

100+ Head-Fier

For the last 8 months or so I have been blessed with my HRT Microstreamer which really did perform quite well. Unfortunately I seem to have lost it, or left it behind somewhere. At any rate I will need something to replace it as my Laptop sound source, my X-Fi go! is decent enough as a temporary solution (far better than the integrated stuff), but it's far from a permanent solution.

So, since I don't really have a clue on anything past phone DACs I could really need some pointers on this if anyone is willing to pitch in. While I don't really care all that much beyond the SQ I do want a smaller DAC (think Schiit Fulla 2 and not Schiit Modi 2) due to the fact that I need to be able to take it with me in my backpack. I would also like some extra options for digital input in adition to USB (If it wasn't for the size I would have gotten Modi 2 Über), but this isn't all that important since I'll probably get a proper DAC for my HI-FI in time.

So far I have looked at the following:
- Schiit Fulla
- Schiit Fulla 2
- Optoma Nuforce uDAC 3
- Dragonfly Black/Red
- HRT Microstreamer (it fills the box sound wise, but I wouldn't ignore others just because I'm used to it)

I know... Yet another request thread, feel free to not respond if you don't want to (or do). Either way thank you for taking your time reading my request :smile:

So... ehm... I kind of found my Microstreamer :redface:

Which would mean I'm not exactly after a super compact DAC any more, but I am still looking to add a decent DAC to my stack. So the criteria are a bit changed (not by much though), size doesn't matter at all any more and they might as well be powered by a separate PSU. It will also need to have USB, TOSLINK and preferably Coaxial inputs. So I'll put up a list of possible candidates that I have looked a bit on:

- Schiit Modi 2 Über
- Micca Origen+ (as suggested by Mightygrey, though I will need to find a store that ships internationally for this one)

It's not exactly the same as my first request, but it's got enough similarities that I don't want to bother closing this thread and starting a new one. Hopefully some of you might have some suggestions for this, and if not you can always just have a laugh at my expense :rolleyes:

Feb 1, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #2 of 3
You're going to have to take a slight step-up in size if you want additional connectivity/inputs. The Modi 2 Uber as you've pointed out does just this - although it's quite light/small you'll need to lug a wall-wart around with you.

Ditto for the Micca Origen+ which has SPDIF in addition to USB (but pretty cheap @ $109). 

I have nothing but good things to say about the DFR/DFB if it will work happily with both your laptop/mobile. 

Feb 1, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #3 of 3
You're going to have to take a slight step-up in size if you want additional connectivity/inputs. The Modi 2 Uber as you've pointed out does just this - although it's quite light/small you'll need to lug a wall-wart around with you.

Ditto for the Micca Origen+ which has SPDIF in addition to USB (but pretty cheap @ $109). 

I have nothing but good things to say about the DFR/DFB if it will work happily with both your laptop/mobile. 

I see... I would prefer to not have to carry a separate PSU with me for the unit, but I guess that's what you get for wanting more stuff... How about the Audioengine D1, is that any good? it offers TOSLINK in, but no coaxial. Other than that I may remove my wish for other inputs, since having to hook up the DAC to a power source each time could be a deal-breaker. I'm really not sure though, the Modi 2 sure doesn't look like equipment that takes well to being stuffed in my backpack.

As I stated in the first post (edited), this is no longer an issue. I'll look more in to the Micca and see if I can find some other choices. thanks for the suggestion, and feel free to post any other stuff you can think of :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back