Want a decent head-fi sound card and also Pro-Tools
Oct 5, 2007 at 6:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

mash440

New Head-Fier
I want to kill 2 birds with ones-stone. Basically I want a soundcard that sounds better with my Sennheisers than my Tapco Link.USB and I also want something that can run ProTools. This limits me to M-Audio Soundcards or an M-Box.

I'll put this blunt, Pro-Tools is first, hi-fidelity is second. I need something ideally with at least 2 inputs.

However, all of the sound-cards I've seen recommended (audiophile series) tend to have line out. How the chuff can you use that with headphones?

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 6, 2007 at 12:13 AM Post #5 of 15
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that even if you buy a M-Audio interface, you'll still need to purchase ProTools M-Powered separately.

So, I think you might as well go for the Digidesign Mbox 2. It comes with ProTools LE, and since it's designed by the makers of PT, it's guaranteed to work perfectly with the software.

Oct 6, 2007 at 8:10 AM Post #8 of 15
The problem with the M-Box is upgradability. Since LE only works with Mbox cards I'd be stuck forever with only 2 inputs and if I wanted to record drums I'd have to splurge out on a mini-mixer and lose mixdown oportunities or buy a better sound card and Pro-Tools. I may have a look to see how much they go for on ebay though cause everyone seems to be getting rid of theirs to upgrade.

Snoop: The 1010LT. Does it have 8 inputs or 10 inputs including the XLR. If the former what channels does the XLR map itself to? It does look like a sexy sound card.

Also will running a headphone straight from line out work fine until I either get a little Dot or a mixer?

Oct 6, 2007 at 8:20 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by mash440 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem with the M-Box is upgradability. Since LE only works with Mbox cards I'd be stuck forever with only 2 inputs and if I wanted to record drums I'd have to splurge out on a mini-mixer and lose mixdown oportunities or buy a better sound card and Pro-Tools. I may have a look to see how much they go for on ebay though cause everyone seems to be getting rid of theirs to upgrade.

Snoop: The 1010LT. Does it have 8 inputs or 10 inputs including the XLR. If the former what channels does the XLR map itself to? It does look like a sexy sound card.

Also will running a headphone straight from line out work fine until I either get a little Dot or a mixer?

What about a Digi 002/003? Off the top my head I think they both offer 4 XLR inputs, and either 4 or 8 line in (can't remember). You can grab an M-Box (or whatever) now, and pick up an 003 when they don't cost so damn much.

Or, if you aren't married to having pro tools, get another DAW software package and use whatever sound card/interface you wish.

Oct 6, 2007 at 1:52 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

The delta 1010lt has 10 inputs. of that 6 are RCA (no preamps), 2 XLR (built in preamps which can be disabled if need be) and 2 spdif digital inputs. XLR maps to inputs 1 and 2, 3-8 are RCAs and 9-10 are spdif.

Should run headphones direct no probs. The tech of this card is basically an extended m-audio audiophile 24/96, same dacs/adcs and opamps.

Another value option if you need preamps is getting the behringer 8 channel preamp with adat, and an emu-1212m. 8 inputs with the adat, and 2 more analog inputs on the emu-1212m itself.

Oct 6, 2007 at 5:24 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by SnooP_WiggleS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another value option if you need preamps is getting the behringer 8 channel preamp with adat, and an emu-1212m. 8 inputs with the adat, and 2 more analog inputs on the emu-1212m itself.

My best friend wouldn't let me sleep if he knew I bought a Behringer mixer.

I was actually looking at the Mackie 1202 but the sound-card comes first. That would give me 6 pre-amps.

Oct 6, 2007 at 8:59 PM Post #12 of 15
The general consensus is that for £200, you'll either get an interface with more than two microphone preamplifiers, or one that will facilitate ProTools, but not both.

Delta 1010LT ($200) + ProTools M-Powered ($250) = $450 = £221.23 [two mic preamps and ProTools M-Powered]

E-MU 1212M ($200) + Behringer ADA8000 ($250) = $450 = £221.23 [eight crappy mic preamps, no ProTools]

Digidesign Mbox 2 ($450) = $450 = £221.23 [two mic preamps and ProTools LE]

Oct 6, 2007 at 9:23 PM Post #13 of 15
I'll probabaly go for the 1010LT and M-Powered then. Even though it only has to Mic XLRs it has the 6 RCAs. If it works out a bit more than getting an M-Box that will be weighed out later along the line. Plus the Tapco I currently have is a USB sound-card and it's been giving me lots of problems with 'garbled' audio etc.

If only it had the handy headphone socket the Mbox has but I really don't want to go down the route of having to re-buy pro-tools when I upgrade from an m-box.

Oct 6, 2007 at 9:47 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

...I really don't want to go down the route of having to re-buy pro-tools when I upgrade from an m-box.

I hear you... Which is why I use Cubase.
tongue.gif

It's fun using ProTools TDM with a bunch of HD|Accel units in a pro studio, though... So many plug-ins at once.
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back