Want a better spread
Oct 6, 2006 at 5:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

zowie

Headphoneus Supremus
What's wrong with my speaker positioning/room? I hear sound coming from each of the speakers with some front to rear depth. Mono sounds come from dead center, deep back. But there's no left-right spread, just left, center, and right.

Oct 6, 2006 at 9:20 PM Post #3 of 9
That's were I would start too, toe in.
Next variable would be distance between speakers, then distance to backwall (...and sidewalls, floor-decoupling, speakers, electronics, cables etc.).
Good luck

Oct 6, 2006 at 10:27 PM Post #4 of 9
try starting by moving the speakers at least a foot or two away from any nearby wall, then adjust toe in bit by bit, don't go overboard right way. I've found the best toe in to be around 5-15 degrees depending on the speaker and listening position.

Oct 7, 2006 at 7:10 PM Post #5 of 9
Another vote for some toe-in and distance from back wall. Don't be afraid of toe-in...for very near field listening it can help quite a bit. Just think of how much toe-in your headphones have.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 7, 2006 at 8:06 PM Post #6 of 9
Might want to get an SPL meter and check to make sure all your speakers are putting out the same amount of sound.

Oct 9, 2006 at 3:45 AM Post #7 of 9
Well, they've got some toe-in, I'd guess about 15 degrees, any more and the sibilance starts bothering me. They're five feet from the back wall, five feet from the left wall, and at least 10 feet from the right wall (although close to a 1 ft column).
I was wondering if this is a familiar problem with a familiar answer so I don't have to try all kinds of random position changes.

Oct 9, 2006 at 10:27 PM Post #8 of 9
Distance between the speakers, distance from you to the speakers, what amplifier and source are you using?

Oct 10, 2006 at 8:40 AM Post #9 of 9
Show us a picture of your placement, and we can make a recommendation.

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back