Wanna See My 70mph RC Car?
Jan 30, 2005 at 9:38 PM Post #16 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMT
I think my son paid about $500 for the "Ready to Run" Savage off roader. He probably has another $500 invested in exhausts, shocks, trannys, etc. His Racer 4 was about $350 for the chassis alone, and the motor was another $125, he then had to buy the servos, transmitter, and the rest of the electronics gear plus a body. Then there is maintenance. Nitro cars require constant repair and maintenance. He pretty much invests all of his allowance and his birthday/Christmas/odd job money into his hobby (with a little help from his dad....
biggrin.gif
). Fuel runs about $25 a gallon for the stuff he likes to use.

OMG, I had nooo idea. I think I will just stick to my water toys.

Jan 31, 2005 at 12:23 AM Post #18 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by lextek
During my hiatis from headphone I have built a few sicko RC cars. This one actually does 70mph! It is out of control. Watch out for pebbles in the road.

rs4807tp.jpg

It's a Aktion RC RS480 converstion with 9 cells and a 480 Race motor.

Thats a potent little pocket rocket you have there.
biggrin.gif

Initially I thought it was a modded 1/12 carpet racer..
But noticing the mat it sits on it now looks to be about 7inches long?
The motor looks huge in that chassis I bet it is somewhat lively to drive eh?
What size/type of cells are those?

These are my own efforts at scratch building a pair of tiny racers, about six inches long:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/attac...tachmentid=320

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/attac...tachmentid=316

They use very highly tuned slot car motors that whistle like gas turbines when wound up.
Chassis parts are mostly carbon fibre and titanium.

Setmenu

Jan 31, 2005 at 12:45 AM Post #19 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by setmenu
These are my own efforts at scratch building a pair of tiny racers, about six inches long:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/attac...tachmentid=320
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/attac...tachmentid=316
They use very highly tuned slot car motors that whistle like gas turbines when wound up.
Chassis parts are mostly carbon fibre and titanium.

Any reason why you chose to use such tiny rims? After all - the contact patch is still smaller and you dont have any aero restrictions and no body. Why not use a larger wheel with a low chassis clearance? Higher speeds this way...

Anyone want to co-own a high end gas powered technokit or brave 1/5th scale?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 31, 2005 at 1:05 AM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Any reason why you chose to use such tiny rims? After all - the contact patch is still smaller and you dont have any aero restrictions and no body. Why not use a larger wheel with a low chassis clearance? Higher speeds this way...

Anyone want to co-own a high end gas powered technokit or brave 1/5th scale?
very_evil_smiley.gif

The rim dimensions were dictated by the size of the rubber tyre blanks i could obtain.
These days there are quite a few commercial small scale model cars available that tyres can be sourced from,
when I made my cars there was virtually no readily available decent rubber in a larger size.
Choosing to use rubber designed for the 1/25 slot car fraternity gave me a fine choice of compounds.
The grip available from my tiny tyres is quite awesome![especially after treating with traction additives]
As for top speeds, again the gearing available to me from slot car parts worked out pretty well.
I have a choice of some 10 ratios.

The cars also have a body but I have yet to get the mould for vacforms made.

Heres the pattern:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/attac...tachmentid=317

Setmenu

Jan 31, 2005 at 1:47 AM Post #22 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
How does it handle?? My only complaint with the HPI Type SS was that it was too pointy with engine, electronics, gearbox, diff all on the rear. Despite being 4WD
frown.gif

Without their body shells for protection I have not really done more than blast them around in a very small carpeted area,
I have no desire to break these as replacement parts would be a time consuming job.
They would also need a far better driver than myself to fully exploit or assess them.
That said , they are very fast and seem to respond very well to chassis tuning and driver input.
Beyond that they would need some serious testing to comment further.

I suppose I should get those shells made and do some testing, but you know how it is with hobbies, they wax and wane.
Plus things like rc cars are a lot more fun when you just buy them and race them rather than making everything yourself...

Setmenu

Jan 31, 2005 at 2:20 AM Post #23 of 23
thorw a novak brushless in that,
I too am in too rc's,this is my collection i own right now,Traxxes e-max,traxxes stamped,team lois xx4,team lois xxxt,team assoceated t3,team assoceated L-12 on-road,a parma 34 roadster, 2 tamiya clodbuster,1 tamiya juggernaut 2,a tamiya f-1,tamiya s-10 4wd,thunder tiger ekg, and last but not least a very rare and hard too find tamiya blazing blazer with 3 speed transmission

All i have too say is at 16 i own a few too many and need too sell most off due too buying a 85 toyota 4x4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back