Walnut Hi-Fi V2 WAV (& MP3) Player by wt - :ok_hand: screenless budget killer combo DAP/Amp :ok_hand:
Jan 30, 2017 at 9:14 PM Post #1,712 of 3,631
I just noticed thea when listening to my Walnut with my Monk Plus and the volume to zero I get this background noise.  It sounds like a constant RF interference, but as soon as I plug it in to charge it goes away.  I'm guessing it's the power supply cap.

Jan 30, 2017 at 9:34 PM Post #1,713 of 3,631
  Just to confirm,the alps pot, does it have the on/off switch like the stock.

It does.

I just noticed thea when listening to my Walnut with my Monk Plus and the volume to zero I get this background noise.  It sounds like a constant RF interference, but as soon as I plug it in to charge it goes away.  I'm guessing it's the power supply cap.

Yeah likely the power cap, but the annoying part is that when you change that rubbish cap for something good then some opamps don't work because walnut's power circuit isn't built to tight tolerances, so when you switch to more demanding caps some opamps start to oscillate or some get a sort of background bubbling noise.

Interestingly LM6172 works perfectly in my all Silmic + Rubycon ZL walnut, but when I had only changed the power cap to Panasonic FM and the rest of walnut stock the LM6172 wouldn't work, would oscillate. And the AD826 which worked fine in the stock walnut, oscillates in my all Silmic walnut. So it seems the walnut is very finicky. Not an ideal test bed really.

OPA1662 I tested recently is one of my favorite OPA I've tried, but it has a slight background bubbly noise in both silmic and oscon walnut, but can only hear this if you don't have music playing. AD8610 is currently my favorite opamp, clean background, very balanced, not for bass heads though, and might not sound great in stock walnut, doesn't sound great with Nichicons.

Jan 31, 2017 at 5:49 AM Post #1,714 of 3,631
  Interestingly LM6172 works perfectly in my all Silmic + Rubycon ZL walnut, but when I had only changed the power cap to Panasonic FM and the rest of walnut stock the LM6172 wouldn't work, would oscillate. And the AD826 which worked fine in the stock walnut, oscillates in my all Silmic walnut. So it seems the walnut is very finicky. Not an ideal test bed really.

did you try bypassing opamp power pins to cure oscillation, high speed opamps love bypassing..

Jan 31, 2017 at 6:58 AM Post #1,716 of 3,631
I have a spare LM4562 lying around, would it do any better than stock in the Walnut..? 

Jan 31, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #1,717 of 3,631
  I have a spare LM4562 lying around, would it do any better than stock in the Walnut..? 

I put one in yesterday and I thought it sounded similiar maybe alittle better maybe less digital sounding.  It wasnt a huge change like when I tried the Muses8820 which seem to lose like 20% of the mids.  It sounds nice with all frequencies accounted for to my ears.  I would try it if I was you.  Only take you like 5 minutes to try it out.  I am leaving it in mine.  I really enjoyed it with my HD600s, redum earbuds and Qian25 earbuds listening to like 5am yesterday when I should of been sleeping.

Jan 31, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #1,718 of 3,631
So these should be going back on sale here, pretty soon?

I am anxious to get an order placed.

Any idea who gets things shipped the fastest?

Jan 31, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #1,719 of 3,631
Hehehe. walnut count is at 3.

1 with very old 4*** series opamp
1 with Signetics 5532
and..... maybe another with another 5532

edit: I did get a set of IEMs with mic, usb cable, fake sandisk card and microsd usb reader with this walnut. I will check the revision date printed on the board when I open it up to change the opamp.

So these should be going back on sale here, pretty soon?

I am anxious to get an order placed.

Any idea who gets things shipped the fastest?

CK Louis on Aliexpress (see post #2 of this thread for buying links) is very good once they are back in stock after chinese new years. There are a few other Aliexpress vendors who may or may not have stock

Jan 31, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #1,721 of 3,631
made following changes:
1. replaced the default piece of junk 1000u power supply cap with a Nippon Chemi-con LXY 25V/1000u cap
2. replaced the 2x 10V/47u SilmicII caps with NCC LXF 10V/1000u caps, because I read on this forum that replacing output coupling caps with bigger capacitance will move the -3db cutoff frequency further lower (which should theoretically improve Walnut's RMAA chart bass roll-off)

however, my ears and RMAA measurements all indicate no improvement on the bass roll-off

so this is just for lolz i guess...

p.s. the through-hole design makes it really hard to remove the default caps...

Jan 31, 2017 at 5:53 PM Post #1,722 of 3,631
  made following changes:
1. replaced the default piece of junk 1000u power supply cap with a Nippon Chemi-con LXY 25V/1000u cap
2. replaced the 2x 10V/47u SilmicII caps with NCC LXF 10V/1000u caps, because I read on this forum that replacing output coupling caps with bigger capacitance will move the -3db cutoff frequency further lower (which should theoretically improve Walnut's RMAA chart bass roll-off)

however, my ears and RMAA measurements all indicate no improvement on the bass roll-off

so this is just for lolz i guess...

p.s. the through-hole design makes it really hard to remove the default caps...

well, i should also add that these changes made the power-on pop REALLY loud and more than once... so just a heads up!

Jan 31, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #1,723 of 3,631
I tried the NCC KY 1000uf for the power cap, wasn't as good as the Rubycon ZL, but I'm not really interested in using those non-audio caps in the analog circuit, no way they will sound as pleasing.  I did experiment with 47uf, 100uf, 220uf for the output coupling caps and ended up preferring to stick to 47uf, but that's not to say others might prefer the sound of the higher capacitance for output coupling, it's all just trade-offs.

Jan 31, 2017 at 11:09 PM Post #1,724 of 3,631

In regards to the Sandisk fake cards. 

I don't know if they're all bad?
I wouldn't keep files you can't afford to leave sitting on it.
But after a full format in SDFormatter with full overwrite (refilling the card with 0's) it passed a full overwrite.
I will try and use it as a normal card and see how long until it dies, or maybe a card that has very little written to it?

Feb 1, 2017 at 3:27 AM Post #1,725 of 3,631
Ordered some of Nippon Chemi-con's flagship audio caps to try out, the AWJ series, they are a bit to big to fit the walnut case, so I also got some of their second best audio series the AVH which will fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back