Wallijohn's request: Black&White Granite.
Jan 4, 2003 at 3:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

kenchi1983

100+ Head-Fier
Enjoy: Building found in Financial District of SAn francisco.

TextureCombineandsigbb.jpg

Jan 4, 2003 at 3:32 AM Post #2 of 8
Three Corners
Three-Cornersb.jpg

Blade
Blade.jpg

Center
Center.jpg

Narrow
Narrow.jpg

Light Drops
LightDrops.jpg

Wood
WoodLeather.jpg

wink.gif

Jan 4, 2003 at 6:14 AM Post #4 of 8
Wow, those are some really cool B&W shots of the granite and wood. Let me go over soem thought with you:

1. Three corners - nice convergence on the vertical lines. Did you use a really wide angle to distort them some and converge more. Let's say something like 20-24mm or so??

2. Blade - nice use of the rule of thirds with the placement of the column, off angles, and lead in and out lines of the roof.

3. Center - is that you in the photo? Its a little static, but enjoyable to look at. Very symetrical with lots of horizontal lines to draw the eye around to look at things within the photo. The glass window or skylight adds a nice break to the surroundings and helps the photo out.

4 Narrow - nice perspective. Different, yet very creative. My favorite. Nice and straight lead-in lline on the left, with a rounded lead-out on the right using the column.

5 - Light Drops - maybe if you took that one a little farther back to include the whoel corner in the front of the photo it would look a little better. And maybe a little more off center to the left and either higher or lower in the frame.

6 - Wood - kind of boring to me. It's just some parts of two doors without anything else in it. It is cut off on some of the geometrical shapes in the door. Maybe include a little more or less to make it work better.

Hope this crititique helps. You asked for it, you got it.

Jan 5, 2003 at 12:45 AM Post #5 of 8
Kenchi,

thanks.

i can see just about all of these pictures hanging in an executive's office. keep up the good work.

and i'm still looking for pigeons in flight in your pictures.
wink.gif

don't you wish it had been snowing heavily in the third picture? the object in the foreground is really distracting.

ever photograph umbrellas?
biggrin.gif

Jan 5, 2003 at 10:31 AM Post #6 of 8
wallijohn,

you got some weird photographic ideas. we got lots of pigeons in SF, especially chinatown. Ha! ive tried taking a picture of a flock of pigeons eatting scrap food. but because of the parrelax error thing with a point-shoot camera, and because i didnt know using zoom creates problem.

i got a blured image. floating umbrellas, i might try that.

This photo set is abit abstract and impersonal for my liking. I spent half a day scouting for the angles.

Jan 9, 2003 at 5:40 AM Post #7 of 8
i can just imagine a pigeon walking on the mid-ground in picture #4. it goes back to the idea of always having something which shows life in a dead context (technology paradox). colour within black and white is another idea. let's put it this way - if i were to take a picture of a highway where there was bumper to bumper traffic, i would look for a hitchhiker walking faster than the traffic was moving.
wink.gif
the old "man beats machine" theme. as an ex-protrait photographer i always must include people in all my pictures. can you imagine a picture of a farm without a farmer?, a picture of a bakery without a baker? a picture of a swing without a child on it? i'm glad i never took a picture of a funeral - it would have to include a "rebirth" or "birth" theme within it. guess it's the photojournalist in me.

Jan 9, 2003 at 2:29 PM Post #8 of 8
Wow, i never thought things that way.

hey, i can even post my contact sheets up, if you want to a look. i am sure this will interest you even more.
biggrin.gif

ContactTextureone.jpg

ContactTexture2bb.jpg

i used ilford delta 100 film.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back