Wall wart for BSG Cmoy
May 7, 2012 at 1:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Tierce

New Head-Fier
Is there a 15v AC adapter you guys know of for my cmoy? See here for amp specifics. The one reccomended is this one  . A radioshack 12v. Since the max capability of my Cmoy is 15v (op2227) would I be getting more performance from a 15v?
Also I just don't want to buy a radioshack adapter....and it's pricey.

May 7, 2012 at 3:10 AM Post #2 of 7
12V to 15V is not really a big deal.  The chip is rated down to +-5V.  Higher should result in very slightly higher (probably negligible) performance and maybe more importantly—a slightly higher max output (think like 2 dB difference) before clipping, into certain very high-impedance headphones where it's not the rail splitter that's the limiting factor.  I think.  I didn't check all the relevant datasheets.

May 7, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #3 of 7
From the datasheet: WIDE SUPPLY RANGE: ±2.5V to ±18V
So it can use a 36v DC power supply.
What would be the limiting factor is what power caps he's using. 
I like the ones from Jameco.

May 7, 2012 at 8:15 PM Post #4 of 7
Ok but are there any alternatives that aren't a Radioshack model? I'd think another brand could do better both price/performance. If not I'll just get the Radioshack one.

May 7, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #5 of 7
May 7, 2012 at 9:44 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:
Read the post before you made this one.  Jameco has ready-made walwarts, especially ones that are linear-regulated, offering the best in high-fidelity power supplies:
http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_681563_-1

I did notice a problem though.  The builder of the amps says that the DC jacks he installs on his amps are 3.5mm, same as for audio... I'm confused.

Quote:
[size=x-small][size=x-small]I put in a standard 3.5mm jack for accepting an external power source and provide info on the type of power adapter you need. I do not provide the actual AC power brick, but the amp manual (last pic below) contains information on what you need and where you can buy one for $10-20. Basically you need a regulated, non-switching wall adapter with a 1/8" (or 3.5mm) power plug (same as the mini headphone plug) that can supply anything between 9-20 volts DC (max input voltage  is determined by the chip. The installed opa2227 has a max of 15vdc). You can see an example adapter and catalog number in the picture of the manual (see auction pics). [/size][/size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back